The superintendent for Edmonton public schools is putting a moratorium on all international trips and school-based exchanges for its students in the 2026-27 school year.

Superintendent Ron Thompson said he made the move out of “an abundance of caution” as the division weighed the positives against growing risks due to global fuel shortages, health concerns, and ongoing military conflicts.

The decision will not affect trips for the remainder of this school year, such as a German exchange some students are currently on.

“This was a decision I did not take lightly,” Thompson told trustees at a Tuesday board meeting.

“These trips are often the highlight of a student’s school year and often something they plan and look forward to for quite some time.”

Countries thought to be safe are now risky

Thompson said the decision comes in the wake of very recent travel events that raised concerns for the division. He said a few weeks ago, students were on a trip in a European country, one the division thought would have posed very little risk.

“But there was an incident that students were witness to,” Thompson said.

He said it appeared to be some sort of protest that had turned violent in the streets outside the students’ hotel. The school principal on that trip ended up asking the hotel to lock things down and find a secure place for the students.

“That was in a country that I would not have thought this would be an issue, but it was,” Thompson added.

Schools will now have a time crunch to replan and reorganize before the new school year. Schools that had booked trips have contacted families regarding refunds and alternatives. Parents and families are advised to contact their schools if they have questions.

Thompson said he’s hopeful that staff will look for opportunities to travel within Canada instead. He said by making the decision now, the division is trying to give certainty for families and students.

“My responsibility is to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to the safety, security, and well-being of our students and staff,” Thompson said.

Other school divisions watching closely

The Edmonton Catholic School Division, the second-largest in the city, told Postmedia that it reviews international travel on a case-by-case basis. A spokesperson said the division continues to monitor the global situation when making decisions on travel.

Paula Power, a spokesperson for St. Albert Public Schools, said the division only has travel restrictions for the US, and that it looks to Canadian travel advisories for guidance on travel elsewhere that might be unsafe.

However, Power said that could change, adding that principals were told the division was carefully watching the world situation.

Ward D Trustee Nickela Anderson was concerned about how communications had been rolled out, as some families were hearing news through the media first.

Thompsons said the division spoke with principals first when reaching the decision, and put out a communication plan which informed school leaders first. Those leaders then informed families.

“Things get out from there,” he said.

Board Chair Saadiq Sumar said the division would re-evaluate the situation again in the school year to see if international travel could resume for 2027-28.

Sumar said he was in full support of the superintendent’s decision.

“Whenever it comes to the safety of our students, that has to be paramount,” he said.

lnewbigging@postmedia.com

@liamnewbigging.bsky.social

x.com/nubigin

Related

Bookmark our website and support our journalism: Don’t miss the news you need to know — add EdmontonJournal.com and EdmontonSun.com to your bookmarks and sign up for our newsletters here.

You can also support our journalism by becoming a digital subscriber. Subscribers gain unlimited access to The Edmonton Journal, Edmonton Sun, National Post and 13 other Canadian news sites. Support us by subscribing today: The Edmonton Journal | The Edmonton Sun.