Charges have been stayed against Edmonton spiritual leader John de Ruiter and his wife, who were both accused of sexually assaulting some followers, after prosecutors were unable to move forward with the case. 

De Ruiter and his wife, Leigh Ann, were each facing six sexual assault charges from six people who had been among his followers.

Alberta Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman Michelle Davio said the service couldn’t proceed with the charges “for reasons relating to the conduct of the prosecution and the consequent delay.”

An email from Davio said multiple senior prosecutors did a thorough review of the file, and decided it was unable to proceed with the charges with “no viable path forward.”

“We understand the personal and emotional impact this process can have, and the disappointment and frustration this outcome may cause,“ Davio said, thanking the women who came forward. 

 The Alberta Crown Prosecution Service says sexual assault charges have been stayed against Edmonton spiritual leader John de Ruiter and his wife, Leigh Ann.

The Alberta Crown Prosecution Service says sexual assault charges have been stayed against Edmonton spiritual leader John de Ruiter and his wife, Leigh Ann.

Lawyer said client victim of ‘overzealous prosecutor’

De Ruiter’s lawyer, Dino Bottos, said at a Friday news conference that the case came to an abrupt end based on evidence that the legal team learned of in February. 

The evidence in question is under publication ban, Bottos said, but he added it involved two witnesses brought forward in an “unconventional application,” from the previous prosecutors on the case.

“What was disclosed to us was very troubling,” Bottos said, adding that the actions revealed the de Ruiters were the vicitms of an “overzealous prosecutor.”

Bottos said the de Ruiters’ legal team will be working to get that ban lifted so the public can know why the case came to a sudden close.

Bottos also said the de Ruiters will be seeking relief from the courts, and making complaints to disciplinary bodies on the matter. He said the couple will be looking to recoup costs as well.

Zachary Al-Khatib, the lawyer for de Ruiter’s wife, Leigh Anne, said while there is relief, it was not satisfying for the couple to be unable to test the allegations in court.

“It’s unfortunate that the evidence didn’t get to be properly tested in some ways due to the Crown conduct on this file,” Al-Khatib said.

De Ruiter’s trial had been scheduled and adjourned multiple times over three years since he was first charged in January 2023.

As a spiritual leader, de Ruiter, 66, claims a global following and bills himself as the “living embodiment of truth.“ He founded his group, called Oasis or sometimes the College of Integrated Philosophy, in 2006 and became known for holding weekly meetings in which he stares silently at followers for hours.

De Ruiter was originally charged with sexually assaulting four followers. Police alleged de Ruiter told female members of the group he had been “directed by a spirit to engage in sexual activity with them and that engaging in sexual activity with him will provide them an opportunity to achieve a state of higher being or spiritual enlightenment.”

The number of complainants eventually rose to eight, before falling to six after the Crown dropped charges involving two alleged victims early last year.

The Edmonton Police Service told Postmedia in an emailed statement that it was disappointed in the outcome, but will continue to investigate and work with the crown.

EPS said it takes reports of sexual assault seriously and that its sexual assault detectives are “meticulous” in building a case that can go to prosecution.

EPS said its thoughts were with the women who came forward.

“Reporting sexual assault is daunting, especially when the accused is in a perceived position of power,” the statement read.

lnewbigging@postmedia.com

@liamnewbigging.bsky.social

x.com/nubigin

Related

Bookmark our website and support our journalism: Don’t miss the news you need to know — add EdmontonJournal.com and EdmontonSun.com to your bookmarks and sign up for our newsletters here.

You can also support our journalism by becoming a digital subscriber. Subscribers gain unlimited access to The Edmonton Journal, Edmonton Sun, National Post and 13 other Canadian news sites. Support us by subscribing today: The Edmonton Journal | The Edmonton Sun.