{"id":158278,"date":"2026-08-06T16:59:08","date_gmt":"2026-08-06T16:59:08","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/158278\/"},"modified":"2026-08-06T16:59:08","modified_gmt":"2026-08-06T16:59:08","slug":"jewish-contingent-returns-to-montreal-pride-with-renewed-visibility-heightened-security","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/158278\/","title":{"rendered":"Jewish contingent returns to Montreal Pride with renewed visibility, heightened security"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Jews are back. Again.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">\u201cLGBTQ Jews are in the Pride parade this year and we are very, very happy to be,\u201d says Ga\u2019ava president Carlos Godoy.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The contingent of queer Jews expected to march in the Montreal Pride parade, Aug. 9 which caps off the 20th annual edition of the Montreal Pride Festival, will be there, \u201cand expect lots of rainbow Stars of David flags,\u201d Godoy told The CJN.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Their return was welcome, and expected, particularly in light of the tumult last year, when Ga\u2019ava, the 20-year-old Jewish community\u2019s LGBTQ+ advisory committee in Quebec, was excluded from participating. \u00a0<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The call for exclusion last year was stoked by opposition from radical elements in the queer community who took issue with the way Godoy characterized, in a <a href=\"https:\/\/thecjn.ca\/news\/montreal-jews-to-celebrate-pride-despite-efforts-to-block-zionists-from-participating\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener nofollow\">CJN story<\/a>\u00a0attempts to keep Zionist groups out of Montreal Pride. The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) was also expelled for the same reason.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Just 11 days after that decision sparked fury and backlash from the public, private sponsors and government officials, and amid a slew of resignations that shook the organization, Pride relented. Jews were readmitted as a community, but without large identifying banners or official recognition of Ga\u2019ava or CIJA, and <a href=\"https:\/\/fiertemontreal.com\/en\/news\/toutes-les-communautes-sont-invitees-a-participer-aux-festivites\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener nofollow\">were invited back<\/a> with a public apology. Some 120 marchers showed up, surrounded by multiple layers of security and under the watchful eye of dozens of Montreal police officers.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">\u201cIt\u2019s impossible to forget what happened last year,\u201d Eta Yudin, senior vice-president (Quebec) of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, told The CJN in the runup to Pride 2026. \u201cJewish people should never have to choose between their identity and participating in any space, including LGBTQ+ spaces, and there is no space from which Jews should be excluded. Last year, the right decision was made in welcoming the Jewish community back, and we are pleased to see them once again participating in Montr\u00e9al Pride this year.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This year\u2019s event will have a new format, featuring less \u201ccorporatist\u201d branding and more thematic contingents. \u201cThat means instead of, say, Jews marching between Walmart and TD Bank,\u201d says Godoy, \u201cwe will be part of a group called \u2018Faith and Cultures\u2019. We were consulted by Montreal Pride on rolling out this new way of doing things and we\u2019ve bought into it. They\u2019ve decided to put communities and individuals first.\u201d As such, LGBTQ Jews will be part of a section with individuals of numerous faiths and cultures celebrating the duality and intersection of faith or culture and being a person of the LGBTQI+ community.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">\u201cWe will be Jews in Pride, and Ga\u2019ava is coordinating participants. The emphasis is not the organization, but on individuals, and so we are working in a very well-identified Jews-in-Pride section.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">He rejected suggestions that placing Jewish marchers in a \u2018Faith and Cultures\u2019 section represents ghettoization rather than integration in the overall Pride space. \u201cAbsolutely not. Montreal Pride has shown great openness of spirit in creating this section, and we were consulted based on our long breadth of experience. They are trying this, and we\u2019re supporting them in this attempt.\u201d He says Jews would have walked together regardless of format. \u201cRepresentation does not equal ghettoization, and this visibility that is given to us this year is akin to the visibility that we have been given in the past 20 years of Montreal Pride.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Berlin attack adds to security concerns<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Pride did add a caveat: \u201cIn an international context marked by violence, armed conflicts, genocides, forced displacement, and systemic oppression,\u201d organizers suspended a parade category that included diplomatic and consular bodies and foreign delegations, and have banned national flags and messaging linked to international conflicts or foreign politics from the Faith and Culture cortege, \u201cto avoid conflating religious and cultural affiliation with geopolitical discourse.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Also this year, security concerns are front-of-mind following <a href=\"https:\/\/apnews.com\/article\/germany-berlin-lgbtq-pride-parade-van-ramming-3ba5e3f1becffd0da5f47b29aa08da9d\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener nofollow\">the July 26 car-ramming attack on a Berlin Pride event by a German-born Islamist<\/a> which killed one person and injured 29 others. Fiert\u00e9 Montr\u00e9al\u2019s interim executive director Higino Monteiro stated \u201cthe events that took place in Berlin deeply sadden us. We express our full solidarity with the organization, those affected, their loved ones, and the entire community.\u201d He also called for \u201cunity within our movements to support our communities and protect the spaces that allow all people to live their identities freely, celebrate, and advocate for their rights in safety.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Pride Montreal organizers declined further comment \u201cout of respect for the work of the relevant authorities and the ongoing investigations into the events in Berlin.\u201d Godoy agreed the attack left people nervous. \u201cAfter the horrific radical Islamic attack in Berlin at the Christopher Street Day Pride festival, I am horrified as well, and I\u2019ve been in touch with my counterparts in Germany, whom I visited last November, to express our heartfelt solidarity. I know that people are concerned.\u201d Still, he hopes to surpass last year\u2019s attendance.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 2025, the Jewish contingent was easy to spot among thousands of marchers, dozens of organized groups, elaborate floats, costumes, oversized banners and festooned vehicles. Jewish marchers wearing Ga\u2019ava T-shirts and carrying rainbow Star of David flags, were ringed by multiple layers of security provided by Pride and Federation CJA, along with a phalanx of heavily armed and armoured police officers on bicycles, and a convoy of police vehicles slowly rolling along Ren\u00e9-L\u00e9vesque Boulevard parallel to the delegation.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">That security though, was not enough to prevent two incidents. Near the end of the parade route, a group of anti-Israel protesters disrupted the procession for approximately two minutes, rushing into the crowd carrying banners and Palestinian and Antifa flags, chanting anti-Israel slogans, before being robustly dispatched by the SPVM\u2019s Special Intervention Squad.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">A few minutes earlier, about halfway through the route, someone approached the Jewish contingent from the side and threw a liquid-filled balloon at the marchers, striking three people with the substance, which reeked heavily of urine.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The assailant was restrained by two police officers and a private guard assigned to the Jewish group.<\/p>\n<p><img fetchpriority=\"high\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"768\" height=\"1024\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Pride-4-768x1024.jpeg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-258692\"  \/>Police arrest a woman who threw a foul-smelling liquid at a Jewish participant in the Montreal Pride Parade, Aug. 10, 2025. (Credit: Joel Ceausu).<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Not returning<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Montreal resident Vicky Croiseti\u00e8re, 36, was arrested and charged with three counts of assault, which if convicted, can each carry a prison sentence of up to two years. She\u2019ll make her next court appearance in November. Asked if CIJA would advocate for consideration of hate motivation in the proceedings, CIJA\u2019s Yudin told The CJN \u201cwe are, of course, following developments closely regarding the unacceptable incident from last year. As in all cases of antisemitism, it is vital that our justice system hold those who incite or act on hate accountable.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">One of the victims of last year\u2019s assault won\u2019t be returning to march on Sunday. Mathieu Gelbhart told The CJN he feels \u201cmore estranged from Pride than I used to.\u201d He\u2019ll spend some time in the festival village this weekend, \u201cthough I\u2019m grateful to everyone from our community who will be there and visible.\u201d As a Jewish gay man, he says, he doesn\u2019t take for granted \u201cthat in so many countries people still can live openly or safely. I just hope this year\u2019s Pride is a chance to celebrate, support one another, and remember why it matters, without the controversies overshadowing it.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Asked about the two incidents last year, a Montreal Pride spokesperson told The CJN: \u201cThese events remind us of the importance of remaining vigilant. For Fiert\u00e9 Montr\u00e9al, safety is not one consideration among many: it is an absolute priority. All decisions related to the organization of the Festival are made with the sole objective of ensuring public safety, without compromise.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This year, the security posture will likely be even more robust. While Pride, Ga\u2019ava and CIJA would not comment on specific measures, Godoy said Federation CJA remains closely involved, and \u201ctakes the safety of LGBTQ Jews in the Pride parade very seriously and, as in previous years, will provide us with the necessary layers of security for our participation in the festive Montreal Pride parade to go as smoothly as possible.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Pride Montreal says it spends nearly 10 per cent of its undisclosed budget on security, prevention and \u201cwell-being\u201d measures, the organization stating last month it was working closely with Montreal police, the city of Montreal, the S\u00fbret\u00e9 du Qu\u00e9bec, local police stations, the Montreal Fire Department and mobility services, \u201cto review site plans in detail, analyze every entrance and access point, and procedures are continuously reassessed.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Festival organizers say approximately 300 security personnel will be assigned to parade operations Sunday, in addition to coordination with public authorities. Police vehicles will block all cross streets and emergency-access bridges along the route to prevent unauthorized vehicle access. A large police deployment was already evident in the Gay Village, as the festival kicked off on July 31.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Change in tone<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The \u201cnoise\u201d surrounding Israel and Jewish participation has calmed somewhat compared with last year. But there\u2019s also been a change in tone within Montreal Pride itself: During last year\u2019s internal turmoil, much of the controversy centred on the rifts between factions, many of whom supported exclusion of Jewish groups, while denouncing the organization as insufficiently anti-corporate, radical, representative or inclusive. Directors and nominating committee members resigned, major corporate sponsors threatened to withdraw support, and politicians of various stripes leaned on organizers to reconsider what many Montrealers viewed as a discriminatory act.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This time around, it feels a lot different, says Godoy. \u201cAs always, we have offered our total collaboration, and I feel that they are wholeheartedly committed to seeing LGBT Jews walking in the Pride parade in as uneventful a parade as possible.\u201d As for the diminished controversy, Godoy said, \u201cfads come and go. LGBTQ Jews have been in the Montreal Pride parade for 20 years nonstop, and we\u2019ve always been there. We will always be there. It\u2019s not news anymore.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Ga\u2019ava has already been busy this Pride season with a Kabbalat Shabbat service at Congregation Shaare Zedek in west end Notre Dame de Gr\u00e2ce, a film screening in C\u00f4te Saint-Luc, a festive pop-up downtown pub crawl, and as is now tradition, the Ga\u2019ava bagels-and-coffee parade party.<\/p>\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Pride belongs to everyone, Godoy said. \u201cGroups that disagree with the presence of LGBTQ Jews in the Pride parade have broken off and are doing their own thing. I encourage them to continue doing their own thing.\u201d That\u2019s the thing about a society with freedom of choice and freedom of association, he says, \u201cif you disagree with the mainstream, walk away and start your own fringe movement.\u201d<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" alt=\"Joel Ceausu headshot\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Headshot-e1742321976617.webp\"  class=\"multiple_authors_guest_author_avatar avatar\" height=\"80\" width=\"80\"\/><\/p>\n<p>Joel has spent his entire adult life scribbling. For two decades, he freelanced for more than a dozen North American and European trade publications, writing on home decor, HR, agriculture, defense technologies and more. Having lived at 14 addresses in and around Greater Montreal, for 17 years he worked as reporter for a local community newspaper, covering the education, political and municipal beats in seven cities and boroughs. He loves to bike, swim, watch NBA and kvetch about politics.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/thecjn.ca\/author\/joel-ceausu\/\" title=\"View all posts\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><br \/>\nView all posts<br \/>\n<\/a><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The Jews are back. Again. \u201cLGBTQ Jews are in the Pride parade this year and we are very,&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":158279,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[8],"tags":[9410,50,13348,23792],"class_list":["post-158278","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-montreal","tag-lgbtq","tag-montreal","tag-pride","tag-pride-parade"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/158278","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=158278"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/158278\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/158279"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=158278"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=158278"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=158278"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}