{"id":179455,"date":"2026-08-23T06:44:12","date_gmt":"2026-08-23T06:44:12","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/179455\/"},"modified":"2026-08-23T06:44:12","modified_gmt":"2026-08-23T06:44:12","slug":"canada-to-impose-retaliatory-tariffs-on-us-steel-electronics-other-products-carney-says-4","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/179455\/","title":{"rendered":"Canada to impose retaliatory tariffs on US steel, electronics, other products, Carney says"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Ottawa, Canada<br \/><a href=\"http:\/\/www.reuters.com\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Reuters<\/a><\/p>\n<p> Prime Minister Mark Carney said on Saturday that Canada would impose tariffs starting 8th September on imports of US steel, electronics and other products in retaliation for President Donald Trump\u2019s 50 per cent tariffs that took effect at midnight.\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>After days of intense negotiations, the two countries did not reach a trade deal late Friday, worsening a delicate relationship between the longtime trade partners and allies and complicating the future of the continental free trade pact known as the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement.<\/p>\n<p style=\"text-align: right;\"><img fetchpriority=\"high\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"alignnone size-full wp-image-180571\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Canada-Ottawa-Mark-Carney-220826020.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"1200\" height=\"803\"  \/><br \/>Canada\u2019s Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks with the news media after he suspended trade negotiations with the United States, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on 22nd August, 2026. PICTURE: Reuters\/Chris Tanouye<\/p>\n<p>Trump\u2019s new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment, and cover some $20 billion of Canadian exports to the US. These duties do not exempt Canadian products under the USMCA, which has shielded most Canadian exports to the US in the last 18 months.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cCanada will match Washington\u2019s new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses,\u201d Carney told a press conference.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cYou\u2019re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked,\u201d Carney said when asked a question about whether Canada was engaged in a trade war.<\/p>\n<p>Carney is one of the few global leaders to retaliate against US tariffs and has pledged to forge new trade and military alliances, despite Canada\u2019s dependence on the United States for nearly 70 per cent of its exports.<\/p>\n<p>\tWe rely on our readers to fund Sight&#8217;s work &#8211; become a financial supporter today!<\/p>\n<p>Canada will impose tariffs on US steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with some products the US previously targeted in Canada, Carney said from Ottawa\u2019s Parliament building. The government will release details on its response in the coming days, he said.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe cannot accept what they have offered, and we will not give what they have asked,\u201d Carney said.<\/p>\n<p>Trump had expressed hope that a deal with Canada could happen on Friday.<\/p>\n<p>New US terms derailed deal: Carney<br \/>But Carney said the US administration\u2019s last-minute demands halted progress.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cIn recent days, the US proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits to Canada, calling into question the reliability of any deal,\u201d he said, adding these demands included curtailing Canada\u2019s ability to forge new trade deals.<\/p>\n<p>Carney said Canada would announce support measures next week for industries hit by the new US duties, adding these measures could last years.<\/p>\n<p>US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News on Saturday that no new talks are planned with Canada.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe\u2019re moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation,\u201d Greer said. \u201cThey\u2019ve always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn\u2019t want that.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>The White House, the US commerce secretary\u2019s office and the US trade representative\u2019s office did not immediately respond to requests for comments.<\/p>\n<p style=\"text-align: right;\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"alignnone size-full wp-image-180572\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/US-Canadian-border-Blue-Water-Bridge-081225022.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"1200\" height=\"799\"  \/><br \/>Trucks cross the Blue Water Bridge between Port Huron, Michigan, and Sarnia, Ontario, carrying goods between the United States and Canada, amid ongoing trade and tariff uncertainty, in Port Huron, Michigan, US, on 8th December, 2025. PICTURE: Reuters\/Emily Elconin<\/p>\n<p>The new US tariffs cover around five per cent of Canada\u2019s exports to the US. They could expose some vulnerable industries such as softwood lumber and wine to severe damage and lead to job losses and business closures, trade experts have said.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe will be mobilising our network of businesses in all regions and all sectors to brace for impact and make the best of a bad situation,\u201d said Candace Laing, CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.<\/p>\n<p>Ontario Premier Doug Ford, one of the most vocal opponents of US tariffs, supported Carney\u2019s decision to retaliate.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cI\u2019m glad he didn\u2019t sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and manufacturing sector,\u201d Ford told reporters on Saturday.<\/p>\n<p>Sticking points<br \/>One of the main sticking points was the treatment of larger vehicles.<\/p>\n<p>Three sources said Canada wanted favourable tariff terms proposed for light-duty vehicles to extend to medium- and heavy-duty trucks, something the US resisted. Carney said the US position would have excluded Canadian-made models, including Ford\u2019s F-350, F-450 and F-550 trucks and General Motors\u2019 Silverado, making Canadian production less competitive.<\/p>\n<p>There were also US proposals that affected Canadian culture, language and sovereignty, Carney said, without elaborating.<\/p>\n<p>Carney was elected last year on a promise to be a tough negotiator with Trump, and remains broadly popular. Polls show most Canadians oppose making any concessions to the US.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cCanadians must stand united to defend our country against these unfair attacks on our jobs and businesses,\u201d Pierre Poilievre, the leader of the official opposition Conservative Party, said in a statement.<\/p>\n<p>\u2013 With reporting by CHIBUIKE OGUH and DAVID SHEPARDSON; Additional reporting by SUSAN HEAVEY and MARIANNA PARRAGA<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Ottawa, CanadaReuters Prime Minister Mark Carney said on Saturday that Canada would impose tariffs starting 8th September on&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":179456,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[98],"tags":[17,7491,33644,7492,111,734,56758,56759,6882,7195],"class_list":["post-179455","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-mark-carney","tag-canada","tag-canadian-chamber-of-commerce","tag-canadian-tariffs","tag-jamieson-greer","tag-mark-carney","tag-us","tag-us-electronics","tag-us-steel","tag-us-tariffs","tag-us-canada-trade"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/179455","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=179455"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/179455\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/179456"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=179455"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=179455"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/canada\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=179455"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}