ZURICH, March 19 (Reuters) – Insured losses from natural catastrophes are likely to climb to about $148 billion this year, estimates published by reinsurer Swiss Re showed on Thursday.
In a severe scenario, insured losses could surge to as much as $320 billion, Swiss Re said. Last year, the insurance industry faced about $107 billion in natural disaster claims.
“The below-trend natural catastrophe losses seen in 2025 are the result of favourable variability rather than any easing of underlying risk,” said Balz Grollimund, Swiss Re’s Head of Catastrophe Perils.
Swiss Re said its 2026 projections are based on the long-term average for insured losses.
(Reporting by Marleen Kaesebier, writing by Dave Graham, editing by Thomas Seythal)