
Swiss President Guy Parmelin says he was not surprised by the US announcement of new tariffs.
Keystone-SDA
Swiss President Guy Parmelin said on Thursday he was not surprised by the Trump administration’s proposal to impose new tariffs of 12.5% on Switzerland, adding that negotiations between the two countries are ongoing with the aim of securing a trade agreement.
Listen to the article
Listening the article
Toggle language selector
English (US)
English (British)
Generated with artificial intelligence.
This content was published on
June 5, 2026 – 16:08
+ Get the most important news from Switzerland in your inbox
“We were aware that there were ongoing investigations into Section 301 of the US Trade Act, and we expected a decision,” said Parmelin at the opening of the Swiss Economic Forum (SEF) in Interlaken on Thursday.
“We reject the criticisms levelled by the United States and we have already replied to them in writing,” said the Swiss economics minister, who this year also holds the rotating Swiss presidency role.
More

More
Trade policy
US threatens Switzerland with new tariffs over forced labour imports
This content was published on
Jun 3, 2026
The United States is threatening Switzerland with new tariffs of 12.5% on products linked to forced labour.
Read more: US threatens Switzerland with new tariffs over forced labour imports
On Wednesday, the United States stepped up the pressure on Switzerland over tariffs. The Trump administration has proposed new tariffs of up to 12.5% on imports from dozens of economies including Switzerland after determining they had failed to curb trade in goods made with forced labour, an assertion rejected by its trading partners.
Proposals for future US tariffs have not yet been finalised. A consultation period will run until July 6.
Meeting with Jamieson Greer
Parmelin pointed out that the meeting the previous day in Paris with US Secretary of Commerce Jamieson Greer had been planned before the latest US move. The Swiss delegation reaffirmed its position and discussed the American arguments behind the new tariffs.
Speaking in Interlaken, the president pointed out that Switzerland had already taken measures to prevent the import of products made using forced labour.
“Swiss companies and authorities are scrupulous in ensuring that this does not happen,” he said.
During the meeting with Greer, the question was raised as to whether a simple announcement of adaptation of Swiss legislation on forced labour could lead to a reduction in the tariffs planned by the US. Parmelin said this had already been the case for other countries.
More

More
Trade policy
Explainer: How the new US tariffs are already impacting the Swiss economy
This content was published on
Sep 8, 2025
On August 1, US President Donald Trump announced a tariff of 39% for Switzerland. The effects are slowly becoming visible.
Read more: Explainer: How the new US tariffs are already impacting the Swiss economy
Ongoing negotiations
A total of 54 countries, including Switzerland, are subject to the new tariffs of 12.5%. The planned rate for the European Union (EU), the United Kingdom and a few other countries is 10%.
“We must remain calm and continue to negotiate a trade agreement. After all, the United States also wants a binding solution,” said Parmelin. Asked about the date for concluding a customs agreement with the US, he said: “One thing is certain: everything is uncertain.”
Translated from French with AI/sb
How we work
We select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools to translate them into English. A journalist then reviews the translation for clarity and accuracy before publication.
Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles. The news stories we select have been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team from news agencies such as Bloomberg or Keystone.
If you have any questions about how we work, write to us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Articles in this story