{"id":20941,"date":"2026-02-27T16:35:34","date_gmt":"2026-02-27T16:35:34","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/20941\/"},"modified":"2026-02-27T16:35:34","modified_gmt":"2026-02-27T16:35:34","slug":"us-iran-nuclear-talks-resume-in-geneva-amid-missile-and-war-threats","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/20941\/","title":{"rendered":"US-Iran nuclear talks resume in Geneva amid missile and war threats"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Nuclear negotiations between the United States and Iran resumed in Geneva on Thursday, the third meeting mediated by Oman since talks restarted earlier this month.<\/p>\n<p>          <img decoding=\"async\" class=\"c-ad__placeholder__logo\" src=\"https:\/\/static.euronews.com\/website\/images\/logos\/logo-euronews-stacked-outlined-72x72-grey-9.svg\" width=\"72\" height=\"72\" alt=\"\" loading=\"lazy\"\/><br \/>\n          ADVERTISEMENT<\/p>\n<p>          <img decoding=\"async\" class=\"c-ad__placeholder__logo\" src=\"https:\/\/static.euronews.com\/website\/images\/logos\/logo-euronews-stacked-outlined-72x72-grey-9.svg\" width=\"72\" height=\"72\" alt=\"\" loading=\"lazy\"\/><br \/>\n          ADVERTISEMENT<\/p>\n<p>US President Donald Trump wants a deal to constrain Iran\u2019s nuclear programme and has gathered a fleet of aircraft and warships in the Middle East to pressure Tehran into a deal.<\/p>\n<p>Trump has pushed to halt Iran&#8217;s enrichment of uranium entirely, as well as address Tehran&#8217;s ballistic missile programme and its support of regional proxies such as Hamas, Hezbollah and Yemen&#8217;s Houthis. <\/p>\n<p>Tehran has insisted that the talks must remain focused only on nuclear issues. <\/p>\n<p>Earlier this week, in his State of the Union speech, Trump accused Iran of being the number one sponsor of terrorism and slammed the recent deadly crackdown on country-wide protests sparked by Iran&#8217;s ailing economy, which human rights groups and insiders in Iran believe might have resulted in as many as 30,000 deaths.<\/p>\n<p>Trump also claimed Tehran &#8220;already developed missiles that can threaten Europe and our bases overseas, and they\u2019re working to build missiles that will soon reach the United States of America.&#8221; <\/p>\n<p>\u201cThey were warned to make no future attempts to rebuild their weapons program, and in particular nuclear weapons, yet they continue. They\u2019re starting it all over.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Tehran has rejected the US president&#8217;s claims as &#8220;big lies&#8221;. <\/p>\n<p>Iran has previously said all US military bases in the Middle East would be considered legitimate targets in the case of Washington&#8217;s intervention. Iran has also threatened to attack Israel, meaning a regional war again could erupt across the Middle East.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThere would be no victory for anybody \u2014 it would be a devastating war,\u201d Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in an interview on Wednesday just before he flew to Geneva.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cSince the Americans&#8217; bases are scattered through different places in the region, then unfortunately perhaps the whole region would be engaged and be involved, so it is a very terrible scenario.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Ballistic missiles a point of contention<\/p>\n<p>On Wednesday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio signalled that a breakthrough was unlikely in this round of talks.<\/p>\n<p>Rubio said the discussions are important to gauge how serious Tehran is in reaching a deal to avoid potential US military action, adding that Iran&#8217;s refusal to discuss its ballistic missiles programme was a major obstacle.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;The talks tomorrow will be largely focused on the nuclear programme, and we hope progress can be made,&#8221; Rubio said before adding that &#8220;it&#8217;s also important to remember that Iran refuses to talk about the ballistic missiles to us or to anyone, and that&#8217;s a big problem.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;But if you can&#8217;t even make progress on the nuclear programme, it&#8217;s going to be hard to make progress on the ballistic missiles as well.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Speaking to reporters during a visit to St Kitts and Nevis, Rubio said that Iran&#8217;s conventional missiles threaten &#8220;all of our bases in the UAE and Qatar and Bahrain, and they also possess naval assets that threaten shipping and try to threaten the US Navy.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Is Iran back to enriching uranium?<\/p>\n<p>Iran has said it has not enriched since the 12-day conflict with Israel in June, but it has blocked IAEA inspectors from visiting the sites that the US and Israel bombed. <\/p>\n<p>Satellite photos have shown activity at two of those sites, suggesting Iran is trying to assess and potentially recover material there.<\/p>\n<p>The West and the IAEA say Iran had a nuclear weapons program until 2003. Before the June attack, it had been enriching uranium up to 60% purity \u2014 a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90%.<\/p>\n<p>US intelligence agencies assess that Iran has yet to restart a weapons program, but has \u201cundertaken activities that better position it to produce a nuclear device, if it chooses to do so.\u201d While insisting its program is peaceful, Iranian officials have threatened to pursue the bomb in recent years.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe principle\u2019s very simple: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon,\u201d US Vice President JD Vance told reporters at the White House on Wednesday.<\/p>\n<p>Vance said Trump is \u201csending those negotiators to try to address that problem\u201d and \u201cwants to address that problem diplomatically.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cBut, of course, the president has other options as well,\u201d Vance added.<\/p>\n<p>During the last round of talks last Wednesday, Iran briefly halted traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf through which a fifth of all oil traded passes, for live fire drills.<\/p>\n<p>As the talks began, Iran\u2019s state media announced that Iranian forces had fired live missiles toward the strait and would close it for several hours for \u201csafety and maritime concerns.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Iran&#8217;s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei meanwhile warned that \u201cthe strongest army in the world might sometimes receive such a slap that it cannot get back on its feet.&#8221;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Nuclear negotiations between the United States and Iran resumed in Geneva on Thursday, the third meeting mediated by&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":20942,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[7],"tags":[65,7221,7294],"class_list":["post-20941","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-geneva","tag-geneva","tag-iran-us-negotiations","tag-nuclear-weapons"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/20941","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=20941"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/20941\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/20942"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=20941"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=20941"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ch\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=20941"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}