Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen is conscious after collapsing during his country’s friendly match against Ukraine on Sunday.
The incident occurred during the game and led to an immediate stoppage as medical staff attended to the 34-year-old. Denmark were leading at the time, but the match was later abandoned following the medical emergency.
Advertisement
Denmark’s and Ukraine’s players huddle to accompany Christian Eriksen to a waiting ambulance during the football international friendly match between Denmark and Ukraine.Photo by Bo Amstrup / Ritzau Scanpix / AFP via Getty Images
The Danish Football Federation provided an update shortly afterward, reassuring supporters about Eriksen’s condition.
“Christian Eriksen is conscious and is doing well under the circumstances,” the federation said on Sunday in a statement on X, adding that the friendly had been called off.
The collapse brought renewed concern for the experienced midfielder, who previously suffered a serious medical emergency during an international match five years ago. Following that incident, Eriksen was fitted with an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD), a device designed to restore a normal heart rhythm if a dangerous irregular heartbeat occurs.
Advertisement
The midfielder became the first player to compete at the highest level while using such a device and successfully returned to professional football after his recovery.
Team Doctor Gives Update on Eriksen’s Heart Condition
According to a report shared by The Sun Football, Denmark’s national team doctor later confirmed that the implanted defibrillator played an important role when Eriksen collapsed again during the match against Ukraine.
The national team doctor said: “I think it has done what it was put in place to do.”
Advertisement
Doc Morten Boesen told Danish TV: “He asked to leave the field himself. That’s a really good sign.”
As of now, Eriksen remains under medical observation, with Denmark’s football authorities continuing to monitor his condition and awaiting further assessments.
This story was originally published by Athlon Sports on Jun 7, 2026, where it first appeared in the Soccer section. Add Athlon Sports as a Preferred Source by clicking here.