The United States and Iran traded military strikes across the Gulf region overnight after Washington blamed Tehran for the downing of a US Army Apache helicopter near the Strait of Hormuz, raising fears of a wider regional confrontation.
The escalation marks the most serious direct military clash between the two countries since a ceasefire was announced in April. Both sides described their actions as defensive while warning that further attacks would trigger additional responses.
The confrontation began after a US Apache helicopter went down while operating near the Strait of Hormuz. President Donald Trump said Iran was responsible and declared that the United States would respond.
“I have just been informed by our Great Military that last night the Iranians shot down one of our highly sophisticated Apache Helicopters while patrolling over the Strait of Hormuz,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
The two crew members were rescued without injury.
US Central Command later announced a series of military operations against targets in southern Iran. According to CENTCOM, fighter aircraft struck air defence systems, surveillance radar installations and ground control facilities near the Strait of Hormuz.
The US military claimed the operation as a “self-defence” mission and a proportional response to what it called Iranian aggression against US forces and commercial shipping.
Iranian media reported explosions in several locations including Qeshm Island, Bandar Abbas, Jask and Sirik. Iranian authorities said some civilian infrastructure was damaged during the strikes, including water facilities and telecommunications equipment.
Iran condemned the attacks and accused Washington of violating both Iranian sovereignty and the terms of the existing ceasefire.
Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s foreign minister, warned that Tehran would respond.
“Our powerful armed forces will leave no attack or threat unanswered,” Araghchi wrote on social media.
Within hours, Iran launched retaliatory operations across the region. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said it had targeted the US Fifth Fleet headquarters in Bahrain, military facilities in Kuwait and an airbase in Jordan used by US forces.
Iranian military statements claimed missiles struck facilities at Jordan’s Muwaffaq Salti Air Base, including aircraft infrastructure and command centres. Jordan’s armed forces said air defence units intercepted several incoming missiles before they reached their targets.
Authorities in Bahrain activated warning sirens and urged residents to seek shelter as air defence systems engaged aerial threats. Kuwaiti military officials also reported intercepting hostile targets over the country.
The US military said it had received no immediate reports of casualties among American personnel.
Esmaeil Baghaei, spokesperson for Iran’s foreign ministry, said repeated military actions were undermining diplomatic efforts.
“The diplomatic process does not happen in a vacuum,” he said, accusing the United States of damaging negotiations through ceasefire violations and shifting positions.
The latest escalation emerged after Israeli air strikes targeted suburbs in Southern Lebanon on Sunday, killing two people. Iran condemned the operation and said that continued Israeli military action in Lebanon violated the ceasefire reached earlier this year.
Iran responded by launching missiles towards Israel. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said the operation targeted Israeli military installations, including the Ramat David, Nevatim and Tel Nof air bases. Israeli air defences intercepted most of the projectiles and authorities reported no deaths.
Israel then carried out strikes inside Iran, targeting military facilities and air defence infrastructure. Explosions were reported in Tehran, Isfahan and Tabriz. Iranian authorities also confirmed damage at the Karun Petrochemical Company in Mahshahr, one of the country’s largest industrial facilities.
The ceasefire has faced additional pressure from continued Israeli aggression in Lebanon. Israel continued air strikes and issued forced evacuation warnings in several areas, while Hezbollah reported a series of attacks against Israeli forces in southern Lebanon. The Houthis in Yemen also renewed threats against Israeli-linked shipping in the Red Sea.
International concern grew over the latest strikes, and governments warned against further escalation.
China called on all parties to exercise restraint and avoid widening the conflict. Russia also urged both countries to halt military operations and return to diplomacy.
Pakistan, which has played a role in mediation efforts between the United States and Iran, warned at the United Nations that the region risked entering a new cycle of violence if tensions continued to rise.
HT