At least 17 people died and more than 40 others suffered injuries after Russia launched one of its largest missile and drone attacks on Kyiv and the surrounding region this year, Ukrainian officials said on Wednesday.
The overnight assault struck warehouses, logistics centres, transport infrastructure and residential areas, while Ukraine reported that it failed to intercept any of the ballistic missiles used in the attack.
The assault began shortly after midnight and involved 24 ballistic missiles, four anti-ship or cruise missiles and 115 attack drones, according to the Ukrainian Air Force. Air defence units shot down 98 drones but none of the ballistic missiles.
The attacks left fires burning across multiple sites in Kyiv and the wider region.
One person died inside Kyiv while another 16 people were killed elsewhere in the Kyiv region, according to emergency officials. Authorities said at least 45 people suffered injuries.
President Volodymyr Zelensky linked the casualties to shortages of missile interceptors supplied by Ukraine’s partners.
“Ballistic missile interceptors could have saved the lives of those killed today,” he said in a statement published on Telegram and social media.
He added that delays in supplying anti-ballistic systems “lead directly to such horrific casualties and destruction” and said deliveries of interceptor missiles had fallen sharply compared with last year.
Zelensky also urged Ukraine’s partners to impose further sanctions on Russia’s missile industry, saying parts of its ballistic missile production remained outside existing restrictions.
Kyiv has requested additional US-made Patriot systems for months. Patriot remains the only air defence system in Ukraine’s inventory capable of intercepting Russian ballistic missiles.
Reuters reported that deliveries of Patriot interceptors declined after military priorities shifted following the US war against Iran earlier this year. Discussions continue over a proposal that would allow Ukraine to manufacture Patriot missiles under licence, despite mixed public comments from US President Donald Trump.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said emergency crews feared more victims remained trapped beneath collapsed buildings.
He said an ambulance driver was among those injured and several casualties remained in critical condition.
The Kyiv military administration said seven locations across the capital suffered direct strikes.
According to Zelensky, the main targets included warehouse complexes owned by civilian businesses, a brewing company and facilities storing construction materials.
The Kyiv regional military administration said 13 warehouses, one manufacturing facility, four private homes and dozens of vehicles sustained damage.
Russia’s Ministry of Defence said its forces targeted seven logistics hubs and supply centres in Kyiv and the surrounding region.
The ministry stated that the sites stored weapons, military supplies, drone components and dual-use goods intended for Ukraine’s armed forces.
Russia also said it struck three cargo vessels near the Black Sea port of Odesa which it claimed carried military equipment.
The strikes formed part of an increase in Russian missile attacks on Kyiv during recent weeks. The capital has faced repeated overnight bombardments, with another strike last weekend killing at least nine people.
According to the United Nations, June recorded the highest monthly civilian death toll in Ukraine since April 2022, with at least 293 civilians killed.
Ukraine has also expanded attacks inside Russia.
Russia’s Tula region governor Dmitry Milyaev said a Ukrainian drone struck a warehouse belonging to online retailer Wildberries overnight, causing a fire and injuring one person.
Reuters reported that Ukraine has targeted more than a dozen Wildberries logistics facilities in recent weeks as part of a campaign against Russian supply infrastructure.
HT