The Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt reopened on Monday for the movement of people, ending a closure that began after Israeli forces seized the Gazan side in May 2024.
The first crossings involved patients, companions, and a smaller number of returnees. Egyptian ambulances lined up south of the terminal as buses moved people from Gaza under escort.
The opening followed the arrival of European Union teams and came after Israel recovered the remains of the last Israeli hostage held in Gaza.
Israeli security officials said the crossing now allows entry and exit for residents following the deployment of the EU Border Assistance Mission. Palestinian staff operate the terminal on site, while Israel conducts security screening from a remote control room.
Egyptian state-linked media reported that the first group of Palestinians returned from Egypt to Gaza on Monday. Palestinian and Egyptian officials said about 200 people crossed during the first day, with 150 leaving Gaza and 50 entering.
Health authorities in Gaza say about 20,000 people need urgent treatment abroad. Hospital directors report shortages across the health system after more than two years of war. Israeli officials say 50 patients will be allowed to leave each day, each with one or two relatives. Another 50 people who left during the war will be allowed to return.
The World Health Organization oversees patient transfers from hospitals in southern Gaza. Buses carry patients across the so-called Yellow Line into areas under Israeli military control before they reach Rafah.
The crossing opens about six hours each day. Movement takes place on foot. Goods do not pass through the terminal. Aid shipments from Egypt continue to enter Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing inside Israel.
Before its seizure in 2024, Rafah served as Gaza’s main link to the outside world. About 100,000 Palestinians left through the crossing earlier in the war. Since its closure, more than 30,000 Gazans registered with the Palestinian embassy in Cairo seeking permission to return.
Israel tied the reopening to the return of the final hostage’s body. Last week the army said it recovered the remains of police officer Ran Gvili from northern Gaza. He was among 251 people abducted during the Hamas-led attack on Israel on 7 October 2023, which killed about 1,200 people.
Israel launched its military campaign in Gaza after that attack. Gaza’s health ministry reports more than 71,700 Palestinians killed since then. Israeli authorities say their operations target Hamas infrastructure.
The reopening forms part of the first phase of a ceasefire plan promoted by US President Donald Trump. The plan calls for phased steps tied to security arrangements and governance changes in Gaza.
Under the mechanism, Israel vets names submitted by Palestinian and Egyptian authorities. Concrete barriers, fences, and three gates control access. One gate falls under Palestinian administration, while Israel controls the final opening remotely.
Egypt’s Health Ministry said 150 hospitals and 300 ambulances stand ready to receive patients. It allocated about 12,000 medical staff for treatment.
The European Union welcomed the opening. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said the move marks “a concrete and positive step” and confirmed EU monitors support Palestinian border guards.
Britain’s foreign secretary Yvette Cooper said the reopening allows some people to reach care in Egypt but called for wider access for aid and relief workers.
Hamas said it completed preparations to hand over civil administration in Gaza to a technocratic committee. The body is led by Ali Shaath and operates under the terms of the ceasefire framework.
Fighting continues despite the truce. Gaza health officials report more than 500 Palestinians killed since October by Israeli fire. Israeli forces report several soldiers killed by armed groups over the same period.
HT