“Over the last weeks, I have discussed this intensively with member states and with members of the European Parliament,” she added. “On that basis, the Commission will now proceed with provisional application.”

Implementation could harden opposition in the European Parliament, antagonize skeptical countries led by France and Poland, and potentially sink the agreement when it comes to a final consent vote later.

The European Commission received the go-ahead from EU countries in January to implement the deal once Mercosur countries complete their own approvals. Both Argentina and Uruguay ratified the agreement Thursday.

“Well done @vonderleyen for deciding on the provisional application of the Mercosur agreement. It’s a positive impulse for our exports, which continue to contribute to Italy’s economic growth,” Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said on X. 

The Commission hasn’t forged ahead with provisional application of trade agreements without letting the European Parliament have a say for more than a decade. But backers of the agreement think the EU has to act now, while rival powers such as the U.S. and China are increasingly courting the region.

“Some of you who say that we are depriving the European Parliament of the vote. No, it was not us who sent it to the European Court of Justice. You could have voted on this agreement. You decided to send it to the European Court of Justice, which I fully respect,” said the EU’s trade chief Maroš Šefčovič earlier this week.