CONCORD, N.H. —

An executive councilor said Wednesday there is outrage in the North Country that it took so long for a man accused of shooting at businesses in Berlin to be ordered held on preventative detention.

The case prompted a grilling of top Justice Department officials at today’s Executive Council meeting.

“The community of Berlin, once again, is enraged,” said Councilor Joe Kenney.

Richard Devoid, 67, is facing nine counts of reckless conduct with a firearm. He is accused of shooting at multiple businesses and vehicles in separate incidents stretching back to last year.

>> Download the free WMUR app to get updates on the go <<

After his arrest, a judge released him on personal recognizance bail, which Kenney said was a shocking development to him and to the victims.

“How do we prevent this from happening?” he said. “Either through the Department of Justice educating these judges on locking them up until they go to trial. I can’t understand, and everyone I talk to says they shouldn’t be walking around. They can get their therapy while they’re in jail.”

The Attorney General’s Office noted that the bail law changed last year to put an emphasis on public safety.

“We need to give that some thought, because you’re right. There has been reform, and this is not what anyone should expect to happen,” said Associate Attorney General Christopher Bond.

Gov. Kelly Ayotte indicated it’s up to the judiciary to operate under the new legal framework for pretrial detention.

“Ultimately, judges have to follow the law, and they have to use their common sense and make sure that they are protecting the public,” she said.

The Executive Council meeting took place before Devoid faced a new bail hearing and a judge decided he should be held. But prior to that development, Kenney suggested that if he re-offended, the original judge should face impeachment.

“If anything happens while this character’s out of jail, if anything happens, you’re going to have one less judge in the state of New Hampshire,” Kenney said.