OSLO, Jan 15 (Reuters) – Shipping group Maersk will resume sailings via the Red Sea and the Suez Canal for ​its MECL service, connecting the Middle East and India ‌with the U.S. east coast, the Danish company said on Thursday.

“Maersk has decided ‌to implement a structural return to the trans-Suez route for all MECL service sailings,” the company said in a statement, adding that this was part of a stepwise approach for its fleet.

Shipping companies ⁠are weighing a return ‌to the critical Asia-Europe trade corridor more than two years after they started rerouting vessels around Africa ‍following Yemeni Houthi rebels’ attacks on ships in the Red Sea in what they said was a show of solidarity with the Palestinians in ​Gaza.

Maersk on Monday said one of its vessels had tested ‌the route as a ceasefire in Gaza raised hopes for normal shipping traffic.

The change for the MECL service comes into effect with a sailing departing Oman’s port of Salalah on January 26.

The Suez Canal is the fastest route linking Europe and Asia and, ⁠until the Houthi attacks, had accounted for ​about 10% of global seaborne trade, ​according to Clarksons Research.

The ceasefire in the Gaza conflict, in place since October last year, has renewed hope ‍of normalising Red ⁠Sea traffic.

The ceasefire has ended major combat in Gaza over the past three months, but both sides have accused the ⁠other of regular violations. More than 440 Palestinians and three Israeli soldiers ‌have been killed since the truce took effect.

(Reporting by Terje ‌Solsvik, editing by Gwladys Fouche)