Maersk’s CEO said the oil shock caused by the Iran war will significantly raise costs this quarter and next, which the world’s No 2 container carrier will seek to fully pass on to customers.
(May 7): The chief executive officer of AP Moller-Maersk A/S said the oil shock caused by the Iran war will significantly raise costs this quarter and next, which the world’s No 2 container carrier will seek to fully pass on to customers.
The conflict has raised expenses by about US$500 million ($632.95 million) a month, Maersk CEO Vincent Clerc said in an interview on Bloomberg Television on Thursday.
“So far we are able to maintain our guidance because our experience is that we’re able to pass those costs on to our customers,” he said. “We’re positive that we can maintain this in the quarters to come.”
Maersk shares were down 2.5% at 9.05am in Copenhagen.
Clerc said demand has been one of the “strong features in the markets for the past couple of years” and Maersk sees that continuing in the second quarter. “If we see a softening in demand we will need to act on costs,” he said.
Earlier the Copenhagen-based company said in a statement that the conflict in Iran had a “limited impact” on results in the first quarter. The US-Israeli attacks began on Feb 28. Maersk kept its 2026 forecast of global growth in the container market of 2%-4%.
Freight rates have edged up since the outbreak of the Iran war, though the increase hasn’t been as sharp as in previous supply-chain disruptions, including the Covid-19 pandemic.
At the same time, shipping companies, among the world’s largest oil consumers, are suffering from higher fuel prices and vessel insurance costs, which is offsetting the gains from rates.
Maersk’s first-quarter earnings before interest, taxes, deprecation and amortization came in at US$1.75 billion, beating average analyst expectations of US$1.66 billion. Maersk kept its 2026 financial forecasts.
“On the supply side, growth remained elevated in Q1 2026, driven by continued fleet expansion, while inactive capacity was subdued,” Maersk said.
The outlook for global container demand in 2026 “is highly uncertain”, it said. “Higher energy prices and constraints on trade in the Upper Gulf region, which in 2025 accounted for around 6% of global container trade, pose downside risks to the growth momentum.”
The guidance “further includes scenarios of the reopening of the Hormuz and Red Sea for commercial shipping in 2026, meaning that Maersk is confident in a solution of the uncertainties in both straits this year”, Fredrik Dybwad, an analyst at Fearnley Securities, said in a note.