{"id":146720,"date":"2026-08-16T09:39:10","date_gmt":"2026-08-16T09:39:10","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/146720\/"},"modified":"2026-08-16T09:39:10","modified_gmt":"2026-08-16T09:39:10","slug":"israeli-strikes-kill-11-in-southern-lebanon","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/146720\/","title":{"rendered":"Israeli strikes kill 11 in southern Lebanon"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Israeli air strikes killed at least 11 people, including three children, in southern Lebanon on Saturday as Israel increased attacks across the region. Lebanon\u2019s Health Ministry said another 19 people were wounded in strikes on Ansar and Deir al-Zahrani, marking one of the highest daily death tolls since <a href=\"https:\/\/www.helsinkitimes.fi\/world-int\/28956-israel-and-hezbollah-agree-new-ceasefire-after-deadly-clashes.html\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener noreferrer nofollow\">agreements in June <\/a>reduced fighting.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Seven people died when an Israeli strike hit a house on the outskirts of Ansar in the Nabatieh district early on Saturday.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t &#13;<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese state media reported that three children and two women were among those killed.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>A later strike on Deir al-Zahrani killed four people, according to Lebanon\u2019s Health Ministry. Reports on the number of wounded differed as authorities gathered information from the scene. The ministry figure put the combined number of wounded in the two locations at 19.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Rescue workers searched damaged buildings in Ansar after the attack. The <a href=\"https:\/\/www.bbc.com\/news\/articles\/c4gjygx4gjeo\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener noreferrer nofollow\">BBC<\/a> reported that displaced families had been staying at the location when the strike occurred.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam condemned the attacks and rejected Israel\u2019s description of its targets.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe seven martyrs of the Israeli strike on the town of Ansar were not \u2018military infrastructure\u2019 and the children and women killed were not military targets,\u201d Salam said.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>\u201cIsrael must halt this escalation,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>The Israeli military claimed it attacked Hezbollah infrastructure around Ansar and Nabatieh following what it described as an action against Israeli soldiers at the Ali al-Taher Ridge.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>The ridge occupies high ground in southern Lebanon and has remained a focus of military activity. Israel claims underground Hezbollah command facilities operate in the area.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Lebanon\u2019s National News Agency reported a series of Israeli strikes around the ridge on Saturday. The agency also reported an attack in the valley between Ansar and Zarariyeh, which it described as the first strike to reach that depth inside southern Lebanon since the June ceasefire framework.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Israeli forces also destroyed homes in Bint Jbeil near the border and fired towards houses along the Kounine-Saf al-Hawa road, according to the agency. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/news\/2026\/8\/15\/israeli-strike-kills-seven-in-south-lebanon-as-attacks-intensify\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener noreferrer nofollow\">Al Jazeera<\/a> reported another strike in the al-Mashaa neighbourhood of al-Mansouri shortly before midnight.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese President Joseph Aoun accused Israel of repeated violations of the framework governing the reduction in hostilities. He said the attacks affected US-backed negotiations between Lebanon and Israel.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Hezbollah also issued a warning following the strikes, saying Israeli attacks would receive an \u201cappropriate response\u201d. The group called on the Lebanese government to end direct negotiations with Israel and criticised US mediation.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe Israeli enemy must clearly understand that its attacks, violations and attempts to impose a fait accompli cannot continue,\u201d Hezbollah said in a statement.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese authorities say at least 4,300 people have died since hostilities began on 2 March.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>The latest violence follows agreements reached in June that reduced fighting between Israel and Hezbollah. The US-sponsored framework calls for Hezbollah to disarm, Israeli forces to withdraw from illegally occupied areas in southern Lebanon in stages, and the Lebanese army to take control of the area.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament provisions.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Its leader, Naim Qassem, criticised the agreement in a speech on Friday. He said in a speech on Friday that\u00a0the framework was \u201can Israeli order written in Israeli ink that the Lebanese authorities have signed onto\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said during a visit to southern Lebanon on Thursday that Israeli forces would not withdraw from illegally occupied territory until Hezbollah disarmed.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>A US State Department official told <a href=\"https:\/\/www.reuters.com\/world\/middle-east\/israeli-strike-kills-seven-south-lebanon-state-news-reports-2026-08-15\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener noreferrer nofollow\">Reuters<\/a> that a permanent Israeli military presence in southern Lebanon would conflict with commitments contained in the agreement with the Lebanese government.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<\/p>\n<p>HT<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Israeli air strikes killed at least 11 people, including three children, in southern Lebanon on Saturday as Israel&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":146721,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[87],"tags":[69750,69751,158,113,28219,3126,60805,14413,34966,69752,69753,56590],"class_list":["post-146720","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-helsinki","tag-ansar","tag-deir-al-zahrani","tag-finland","tag-helsinki","tag-hezbollah","tag-israel","tag-israeli-strikes","tag-lebanon","tag-lebanon-ceasefire","tag-nabatieh","tag-nawaf-salam","tag-southern-lebanon"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@dk\/117104526534706082","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/146720","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=146720"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/146720\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/146721"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=146720"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=146720"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/dk\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=146720"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}