Rabat – The European Commission has reiterated demands for migrants to be returned to Morocco following the Ceuta mass crossing.

European Commission spokesperson for Home Affairs Markus Lammert reiterated on Thursday calls for their return but also emphasized Spain’s duty to return all migrants to Morocco.

“The protection of vulnerable minors must be guaranteed. And this is, of course, a duty of the State, in this case of the Spanish authorities, to guarantee it,” the spokesperson said at a press conference.

He emphasized that while this is Spain’s duty, the EU Commission maintains a “clear expectation” that all migrants who entered the enclave irregularly have to return to Morocco.

He said this demand does not exclude minors, stressing the Commission is working with Spain and Morocco to help achieve the migrants’ return with full respect for both EU and international law. 

The spokesperson also pledged EU support to see controls further strengthened, a demand shared by different states in the EU – stressing Brussels is willing to support Madrid and Rabat to reinforce borders.

Morocco has responded to criticism from far-right politicians and the People’s Party (PP), which have been targeting Morocco and accusing it of being responsible for the crossing despite Rabat’s efforts in tackling migration with limited resources and funds.

Morocco urged Spanish authorities to return all migrants who remain in the enclave, including minors, calling on Spain to assume its responsibility and speed up the process – recalling that its efforts to tackle migration are not limited to a specific date.

The EU Commission spokesperson emphasized that Brussels took note of Morocco’s commitment to facilitate the return of all migrants. Lammert made similar remarks earlier this week in Brussels, stating that the Commission continues to expect that  everyone who remains in Ceuta, including minors, will be returned. 

Morocco has been reiterating its commitment to tackling the issue, while emphasizing once again that it is a shared responsibility and urging Spain to assume its part of the responsibility.

The Ministry of Interior said that Morocco is monitoring the situation amid calls for a a new mass entry attempt, stating that it has taken all necessary measures to prevent illegal crossings and intercept anyone seeking to participate in such attempts.