Calls for targeted killings of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir have prompted sharp criticism in Germany, but it remains unclear how far the government is prepared to go in responding to the remarks.

Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul joined colleagues on Wednesday in sharply criticizing the remarks made by Ben-Gvir in a podcast aired over the weekend. “Mr Ben-Gvir’s remarks are unspeakable and completely unacceptable,” he said during a visit to the Swiss capital, Bern.

Wadephul said the consequences of these “inhuman outbursts” would be discussed within the European Union, adding that Germany would take part in this.

Speaking during a podcast with Rom Braslavski, a former Gaza hostage, Ben-Gvir said: “I think that targeted killings should be carried out in Gaza, removing 30, 40 people every night.”

The far-right minister said he was not referring only to militant Palestinians who posed an immediate threat. There were people in Gaza, he said, who did not deserve to live.

Germany has previously rejected EU proposals to sanction Ben-Gvir, such as by freezing his assets or imposing a travel ban. A decision at the EU-level can only be reached by consensus.

As recently as June, Wadephul had said that he saw no grounds for further punitive measures against Israel or individual government ministers. He said the government believed its voice was being heard in Israel.

Ben-Gvir’s latest remarks, however, have drawn broad condemnation.

On Tuesday, Vice Chancellor Lars Klingbeil said sanctions at the European level should be considered “very seriously,” describing Ben-Gvir’s comments as “dehumanizing.”

The Social Democratic politician, who is also Germany’s finance minister, said far-right Israelis like Ben-Gvir were “playing with fire” and that a line had been crossed.

Friedrich Merz on Wednesday criticized Ben-Gvir’s statements via a government spokesman, who said the chancellor strongly condemned the contemptuous and unlawful appeals.

His spokesman, Sebastian Hille, pointed to a recent decision by EU leaders to prepare targeted measures against radical politicians who call for violations of human dignity and international law. He said EU foreign ministers would address the issue at an upcoming meeting.

Merz has not, however, taken a stance on sanctions.

The head of the Christian Social Union (CSU) parliamentary group – the Bavarian sister party to Merz’s conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) – responded cautiously. Alexander Hoffmann said reactions could be discussed, but warned that “the special German-Israeli relationship must not be damaged in the process.”

The CSU has recently been even more cautious than the CDU on the issue of sanctions against Israel.

E1 settlement tender

Ministers have also criticized a tender issued by Israel’s Land Authority for a settlement project in the West Bank.

Merz’s spokesman said the chancellor was following the Israeli government’s recent steps with great concern.

Hille said Merz had the following message: “There must be no further annexation steps in the West Bank – no formal ones, but also no political, construction-related or other measures whose effect is increasingly obviously leading to annexation. They run counter to a two-state solution.”

As an occupying power, Israel must treat Palestinians with human dignity, protect their property and ensure public administration and humanitarian supplies, Hille said.

At the same time, he said the chancellor always made clear that Germany stands for Israel’s existence and security.

Wadephul also criticized the tender, saying the plan would “effectively split the West Bank in two” and make a two-state solution impossible.

“The Federal Government rejects this move, which contravenes international law, as well as any plans for annexation,” he said, calling for the plans to be reversed.

The tender provides for the construction of more than 1,200 residential units in the so-called E1 area between East Jerusalem and the settlement of Ma’ale Adumim. The area is regarded as one of the most sensitive points in the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.

Criticism from UN

Criticism of the plans – and of Ben-Gvir’s comments – also came from the United Nations.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres is “deeply alarmed by the reports of new illegal Israeli settlement outposts in the occupied West Bank,” his spokesman Stéphane Dujarric said. The plans would “present an existential threat to the two-state solution.”

Dujarric called Ben-Gvir’s comments “appalling,” adding: “They’re dehumanizing, and they’re dangerous, and we condemn them unequivocally.”

Germany, France, Italy and the United Kingdom have warned companies in the past against taking part in tenders for construction projects in the E1 area, saying the project would violate international law.

Israel has repeatedly postponed the plans for E1 in the past under international pressure.