Germany and Italy have blocked a bid to suspend a European Union trade pact with Israel.

Spain, Slovenia and Ireland had urged a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg on Tuesday to debate suspending the association agreement due to Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza and violence in the Occupied West Bank. However, opponents said that the idea has been definitively shelved.

Recommended Stories list of 4 itemsend of list

Supporters of the move insist that the bloc can no longer remain “on the sidelines” as violence continues and conditions deteriorate in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon, all of which have suffered from Israeli wars.

However, the effort always appeared optimistic, with the EU clearly split on its approach to Israel.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul called the proposal “inappropriate,” insisting that more talk is needed, despite the daily reports of violence committed by Israeli forces.

“We have to talk with Israel about the critical issues,” Wadephul said at the start of the meeting. “That has to be done in a critical, constructive dialogue with Israel.”

Italian counterpart Antonio Tajani joined him in the pushback, stating that “no decision will be taken today”. Following the meeting he told reporters that the bid had been shelved.

“Other possible initiatives will be discussed at the next ministerial meeting on May 11, and we will evaluate them,” he said according to Italian news agency ANSA.

Defeat

Before the meeting, Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares had said he expected “every European country to uphold what the International Court of Justice and the UN say on human rights and the defence of international law”.

“Anything different would be a defeat for the European Union,” he added.

In a joint letter sent last week to EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, the three governments said Israel had taken a series of measures that “contravene human rights and violate international law and international humanitarian law”, adding that it breached the 1995 agreement that outlines political, economic and trade relations between the EU and Israel.

They said repeated appeals to Israel to reverse course had been ignored. The ministers pointed to a proposed Israeli law that would impose the death penalty by hanging on Palestinians convicted in military courts, describing it as “a grave violation of fundamental human rights” and a further step in the “systematic persecution, oppression, violence and discrimination” faced by Palestinians.

They also cited the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, saying conditions there were “unbearable”, with continuing violations of the ceasefire agreement and insufficient aid entering the territory.

The letter warned that violence in the occupied West Bank was also intensifying, with settlers acting “with absolute impunity” alongside ongoing Israeli military operations, causing civilian deaths.

“The European Union can no longer remain on the sidelines,” the ministers wrote, calling for “bold and immediate action” and saying all options should remain on the table.

The three countries argued Israel was in breach of Article 2 of the EU-Israel Association Agreement, which ties relations to respect for human rights. An earlier EU review had already found Israel was failing to meet those obligations, they said, adding that the situation had deteriorated further since then.

During a donor conference in Brussels, Kallas said the estimated cost of rebuilding Gaza had risen to $71bn.

Ireland and Spain first pushed for a review of the agreement in 2024, but the effort failed to win enough backing from member states supportive of Israel. A later Dutch-led initiative succeeded in triggering an EU assessment, which concluded Israel had “likely” breached its obligations under the pact.

Possible trade measures, including suspending parts of the relationship, were later discussed but not implemented after Israel pledged to significantly increase humanitarian aid entering Gaza.

Occupied Territories Bill

Ireland is also seeking to revive its Occupied Territories Bill, first introduced in 2018, which would ban trade in goods and services from illegal settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory, including the West Bank. Progress has stalled despite unanimous backing in the lower house of parliament, the Dail.

Meanwhile, Spain and Slovenia have moved to curb trade with illegal Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank following sustained public protests and growing political pressure. In August last year, Slovenia banned imports of goods produced in Israeli-occupied territories, becoming one of the first European states to take such a step.

Spain followed later that year with a decree banning imports from illegal Israeli settlements, with the measure coming into force at the start of 2026.

All three countries formally recognised the State of Palestine in May 2024, in what was widely seen as a coordinated diplomatic move aimed at increasing pressure for a two-state solution.