Rory McIlroy is determined to claim the seventh major championship of his career later this month.

He’s scheduled to begin play at this year’s U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills on Thursday, June 18. The 37-year-old achieved the career Grand Slam with his Masters victory last year and followed that up by defending the Green Jacket in April.

McIlroy has participated in just three tournaments since his latest triumph at Augusta, but made his return at the Memorial Tournament, which was won by J.T. Poston, last week in preparation for the U.S. Open. The Northern Irishman finished tied for 12th place at four-under-par and disclosed he had been practicing at the U.S. Open venue prior to the Memorial Tournament. It comes after Rory McIlroy overcame a ‘dirty’ ESPN move with his ex-girlfriend at the Masters.

Phil Mickelson behavior toward Masters locker room staff in parking lot after win said it all

Rory McIlroy loses $1.9 million of Masters prize money just days after Augusta National win

McIlroy is currently at home in England before returning to the United States, but he has expressed one concern ahead of the competition.

In other news, former Ryder Cup champion Thorbjorn Olesen watched his U.S. Open qualification hopes disappear after withdrawing from a tournament. Here, the Mirror U.S. Sports compiles some of the major golfing stories.

McIlroy voices concern

McIlroy will be considered one of the favorites to capture the U.S. Open for the first time since his victory in 2011.

McIlroy is chasing his seventh major title

McIlroy is chasing his seventh major title -Credit:Mike Mulholland, Getty Images

(aol_the_mirror_191)

However, he has raised an early concern, anticipating that the tempo of practice rounds will affect his preparation at Shinnecock Hills, having encountered the same issue during the PGA Championship last month.

“Too many people inside the ropes I think is the big part of it,” McIlroy said. “I think as well, like, guys are resigned to the fact that they’re going to play nine holes, so it’s okay to be out there for nine holes and in three hours.

“Like, no one plays 18-hole practice rounds anymore the week of. So I guess it gives everyone the ability to play slow and hit as many balls as they like. I guess that’s what practice rounds are for.”

He added: “Yeah, I think as well there’s, like, just so much hangers on inside the ropes and that sort of seems to slow things down as well.”

Ryder Cup star withdraws

Thorbjorn Olesen won’t be competing at the U.S. Open after pulling out of a qualifying tournament before finishing his two scheduled rounds. The 36-year-old was three-over after 14 holes when he departed Lambton Golf and Country Club in Toronto on Monday.

Olesen, who contributed to Team Europe’s 2018 Ryder Cup victory, made his choice after finding himself eight strokes behind the leader. The Danish golfer will be looking for better results this week at the Canadian Open, also taking place in Toronto.

A total of 43 U.S. Open places were awarded across 10 qualifying tournaments throughout the United States and Canada. Olesen barely missed the cut at last year’s major after posting eight-over through two rounds at Oakmont.

Olesen has claimed 15 professional titles throughout his career, among them eight European Tour wins. A defining moment came when he defeated Jordan Spieth in Ryder Cup singles play, helping Team Europe secure victory in France.

It comes after Tiger Woods’ 4-word response to Vanessa Trump left her furious.