It’s the end of an era.
The PGA Tour has officially confirmed that it’s moving on from the Hawaii Swing in 2027, which has long been a tradition at the start of the season.
3
The Hawaii Swing has offered picturesque views for golf fans for a number of yearsCredit: Getty
According to a report from Sports Business Journal, the PGA Tour will no longer be opening its campaign with The Sentry at Kapalua or the Sony Open at Waialae.
“We are grateful to The Plantation Course at Kapalua, Kapalua Resort, Maui County and the State of Hawaii for their longtime support of our season-opening PGA Tour event, as well as the fans, partners and volunteers across Maui who have supported the event throughout the years,” the PGA Tour said in a statement to SBJ.
“The PGA Tour will share more details regarding its 2027 schedule at a later date.”
Hawaii has hosted PGA Tours since 1965, with The Sentry at the Plantation Course at Kapalua had served as the season-opening tournament since 1999.
READ MORE GOLF
However, the 2026 tournament, a $20 million Signature Event, was cancelled late last year as a result of water delivery issues on Maui.
Citing “logistical complexities unique to staging a tournament on the island of Maui,” it’s departure now sees a second major sports league to leave Hawaii following that of the NFL who moved the Pro Bowl to Orlando in 2016.
“We are proud to have sponsored The Sentry in Kapalua for eight years,” Stephanie Smith, chief marketing & brand officer and chief golf partnership officer at Sentry said in a statement.
“We have said from the beginning, we love Maui and Maui is a Sentry community not unlike our hometown of Stevens Point, Wisconsin. We cherish the friends and partnerships we have formed over the past several years.
“Our commitment to the island runs deep, and we remain committed to being active in the community.”
Fans left outraged by the decision
Golf fans flocked to social media upon hearing the news, and the general consensus was that many were left unhappy about it.
3
Kapalua, Maui is now off the PGA Tour scheduleCredit: Getty
3
Fans have been left outraged over the decision to axe the Hawaii SwingCredit: Getty
“This is a horrible move. Serious nostalgia whenever it got to January and I’d see all of the beautiful shots of Kapalua, I knew golf season was back. PGA had a shocker here,” one fan posted to X.
“I get the business decision but there is no way of dressing this up as good news. We lose two (popular) tournaments and get nothing in return. Again, financially a good decision I imagine but please don’t tell me I should be happy about this,” a second user wrote.
“Waialae off the calendar sucks. Feels like Waialae, Colonial, and Harbor Town were the only courses left on tour that don’t have to be super long to make players look silly. Those type of designs should hold a special place in pro golf,” a third added.
“What an absolute disgrace. Did they take a look at the NFL’s Pro Bowl since they took it away from Honolulu? The Pro Bowl has become the biggest joke in sports,” a fourth stated.
There is some good news, though – the Sony Open may not be coming off the calendar entirely.
There is a possibility that it could undergo a transition to being a PGA Tour champions event instead, which currently begins at Hualalai Resort Golf Club on Big Island, though that is yet to be confirmed.
With the Hawaii Swing now removed from the schedule, The American Express, which world No. 1 Scottie Scheffler won last year, could emerge as the season opener with its 2027 dates of January 21-24 already locked in.
Read More on talkSPORT
But that remains to be seen.
Stay up to date with the latest from golf across all platforms – follow our dedicated talkSPORT USA Facebook page and subscribe to our talkSPORT USA YouTube channel for all the news, exclusives, interviews and more.

