Your support helps us to tell the story
From reproductive rights to climate change to Big Tech, The Independent is on the ground when the story is developing. Whether it’s investigating the financials of Elon Musk’s pro-Trump PAC or producing our latest documentary, ‘The A Word’, which shines a light on the American women fighting for reproductive rights, we know how important it is to parse out the facts from the messaging.
At such a critical moment in US history, we need reporters on the ground. Your donation allows us to keep sending journalists to speak to both sides of the story.
The Independent is trusted by Americans across the entire political spectrum. And unlike many other quality news outlets, we choose not to lock Americans out of our reporting and analysis with paywalls. We believe quality journalism should be available to everyone, paid for by those who can afford it.
Your support makes all the difference.Read more
Rory McIlroy has cautioned any LIV Golf players hoping to rejoin the PGA Tour that they face a “tough, tough road back”.
The breakaway circuit’s future has been thrown into doubt after Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund decided to withdraw its financial support at the conclusion of this season.
Although organisers are searching for fresh backing to keep the series running, significant uncertainty remains over whether its biggest names will stay. Jon Rahm is reportedly set to exit, mirroring Brooks Koepka’s departure last year, while the futures of Bryson DeChambeau, Tyrrell Hatton and Cameron Smith are also up in the air.
The instability deepened on Monday when LIV called off its season-ending Team Championships in Michigan, meaning this week’s event in Indianapolis will mark the final tournament under its current format.
Jon Rahm is reportedly considering his future (Getty)
Addressing whether returning players would add value to established tours ahead of the BMW Championship in St Louis, the world number two said on Wednesday: “Have they brought value to LIV? I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.
“Eventually, yes, maybe. Eventually they will, if they play the golf. I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away.
“If they were offered this returning member programme back in February, the one that Brooks took, then yes, maybe, but that has sort of come and gone.
“I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back.”
The Northern Irishman also reiterated his longstanding opposition to the rival league.
“I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game.
“Were there things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better?
“Sure, but I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour was handed six billion ( US dollars) it would have done a better job with it.”