McIlroy delivers damning response when asked if he’d welcome LIV stars back to PGA Tour/ X Rory McIlroy believes LIV Golf players who eventually seek a return to the PGA Tour may find the door open, but the most favourable route back could already have disappeared.The future of the Saudi-backed circuit has become increasingly uncertain after the Public Investment Fund confirmed it would not continue funding LIV beyond 2026, while the league has also cancelled its season-ending Team Championship in Michigan. LIV chief executive Scott O’Neil has nevertheless said the organisation is working on its “next chapter”, with an unnamed lead investor reportedly lined up.That uncertainty has placed renewed focus on what happens to LIV’s leading players if they decide to return to the PGA Tour, with Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau among those whose futures are being closely watched.
McIlroy says the best deal may already have gone
Brooks Koepka has already returned through the PGA Tour’s returning member programme, while Patrick Reed is eligible to return in September. McIlroy does not expect later returnees to receive the same terms.Asked whether LIV players would bring value back to the PGA Tour, McIlroy said: “I would argue, have they brought value to LIV? You know? I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.”The Northern Irishman believes players will eventually be welcomed back, but not immediately.“Eventually they will [be welcomed back],” McIlroy said. “I’m not part of these discussions, but I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away.”
Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, hits from the fifth tee during the first round of the St. Jude Championship golf tournament, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/George Walker IV)
He pointed to the returning member programme available to Koepka earlier this year as an opportunity that has now passed.“If they were offered this returning member program back in February, the one that Brooks took, then yeah, maybe, but that has come and gone,” McIlroy said.“I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward, if they do decide to come back, isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. I would say it’s going to be a tough road back.”
McIlroy remains opposed to LIV Golf
McIlroy’s position on LIV itself has remained consistent since the breakaway league was formed in 2022.“I think I feel like I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game,” he said.He also rejected the idea that he takes personal satisfaction from the uncertainty now surrounding the league and the potential consequences for its employees.“I don’t take any personal satisfaction in people losing jobs; that doesn’t seem right,” McIlroy said. “I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed $6bn it would have done a better job with it.”McIlroy also believes the PGA Tour remains the strongest platform for the game’s leading players.“This is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world,” he said.
Rahm and DeChambeau face uncertain futures
The question is particularly relevant for Rahm and DeChambeau, whose futures with LIV are approaching decision points.Rahm joined LIV for the 2024 season and is expected to decide his future in the coming weeks, while DeChambeau’s contract is set to expire after this week’s event. Reports have suggested the PGA Tour could be an option for both players in 2027.DeChambeau is also due to make his DP World Tour debut at the Nedbank Golf Challenge in December.McIlroy has previously made clear that he is not particularly fond of DeChambeau, describing his behaviour at The Open last month as “performative” after the American received a two-stroke penalty for inadvertently improving his lie.
Scheffler would welcome them back, with penalties
World No. 1 Scottie Scheffler took a different view when asked about the possibility of LIV players returning.Scheffler acknowledged that several players on LIV could strengthen the PGA Tour, while arguing that their return should come with consequences for leaving in the first place.“When we talk about the best players [in the world], LIV has a few players that are really good,” Scheffler said. “I think the depth that we have on our tour is a bit unmatched.”He added: “There’s definitely some players that would provide a lot of value to the Tour, and guys that I love competing against as well.”But Scheffler does not believe returning players should simply walk back in without consequences.“I think going forward there obviously has to be some sort of penalties,” Scheffler said. “What those are, I’ll let [PGA Tour CEO Brian] Rolapp and all those guys figure it out.”For Scheffler, the prospect of having LIV’s leading players back is ultimately about competing against the strongest possible field.“I think for me being able to compete against the best players in the world there’s certainly some guys on that Tour that can compete out here and I look forward to the chance to compete with them more often,” he said.The PGA Tour has already shown that a route back exists. McIlroy’s warning is that for LIV players still weighing their options, the terms attached to that route may no longer be as generous as they once were.