The warning may remain in place for up to two months and beach users are advised to comply to protect their health
19:15, 10 Jun 2026Updated 19:22, 10 Jun 2026

Do Not Swim in place for Rush North and South. Image: Fingal County Council
A “do not swim” notice has been issued for Rush North and Rush South beaches and may remain in place for two months.
This would leave swimmers and bathers unable to enjoy the beaches until mid-August. The notice is due to an Uisce Éireann warning of a potential overflow risk at the Tower Bay Wastewater Pumping Station.
The station is currently operating on only one pump after two pumps failed due to normal wear and tear on June 7, 2026. While no uncontrolled release has occurred, a replacement pump will not be installed until the end of July 2026, requiring daily monitoring of the station.
Consequently, the precautionary “Do Not Swim” notice is being implemented. Due to upcoming rainfall forecasts that could increase overflow risks, this notice and its signage may remain in place for up to two months, and beach users are advised to comply to protect their health.
Social Democrats TD Jennifer Whitmore has demanded a full explanation from Uisce Éireann and said that a 60-day swimming ban is “devastating news for local sea swimmers.”
Deputy Whitmore, who is the party’s environment spokesperson, said: “Fingal County Council has announced that Rush North and Rush South beaches will be closed to swimming for most of the summer – just days after the official bathing season commenced.”
“The restrictions came into force after two pumps tripped out at the Tower Bay wastewater pumping station a number of days ago. It’s understood it was not possible to reset one of the pumps, requiring a new one to be ordered.”
“However, Uisce Éireann has advised that there is a long lead-in time for the replacement pump, with delivery and installation not expected until the end of July. While the company insists there has been no uncontrolled release into the sea so far, there is potential for one – resulting in the implementation of a two-month Do Not Swim notice.”

A “do not swim” notice has been issued for Rush North and Rush South beaches and may remain in place for two months.
“Investigations indicate the failure was due to wear and tear, which begs the obvious question: why was this potential problem not identified earlier during routine inspections of the pumping station? This could have preempted the current situation and resulted in a replacement pump being ordered as a precautionary measure.”
“This is devastating news for local sea swimmers in Rush and the many visitors who travel to these two popular beaches on sunny days. The loss of these valuable amenities will also have a negative impact on the many local coffee shops, restaurants and pubs that depend on tourism.”
“Of major concern, however, is the potential for sewage overflow into the sea and the significant consequences such an ecological disaster would have for marine life, public health and the local environment.I will be writing to Uisce Éireann to demand a full explanation for how this disgraceful situation could occur, and for a full assessment of the condition of equipment at wastewater pumping stations along our coastline to be carried out.”
“I have also asked Social Democrats councillor Paul Mulville, who represents Rush-Lusk, to raise this extremely serious incident with Fingal County Council.”
Want to see more of the stories you love from Dublin Live? Making us your preferred source on Google means you’ll get more of our exclusives, top stories and must-read content straight away. To add Dublin Live as a preferred source, simply click here.
Join our Dublin Live breaking news service on WhatsApp. Click this link to receive your daily dose of Dublin Live content.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice