{"id":402937,"date":"2026-03-25T10:51:09","date_gmt":"2026-03-25T10:51:09","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/402937\/"},"modified":"2026-03-25T10:51:09","modified_gmt":"2026-03-25T10:51:09","slug":"michael-flatley-secures-fresh-injunction-to-stop-ni-firm-interfering-in-lord-of-the-dance-production-the-irish-times","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/402937\/","title":{"rendered":"Michael Flatley secures fresh injunction to stop NI firm interfering in Lord of the Dance production \u2013 The Irish Times"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The High Court in <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/belfast\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/belfast\/\">Belfast<\/a> has granted <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/michael-flatley\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/michael-flatley\">Michael Flatley<\/a> a new injunction against a <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/northern-ireland\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/northern-ireland\/\">Northern Irish<\/a> company he says is unlawfully interfering in the European tour of the Lord of the Dance show. The tour is due to start in Zagreb, <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/croatia\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/croatia\">Croatia<\/a>, on Wednesday night. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Flatley obtained an emergency ex parte injunction in Belfast from Judge Ian Huddleston on Tuesday afternoon after complaining that Switzer Consulting Ltd was in contempt of court for breaching undertakings it gave the court last month. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">A Croatian performance of Lord of the Dance is booked into the 20,000 seater Zagreb Arena on Wednesday night. Flatley has said some 80 per cent of tickets are sold and the show is forecast to generate \u20ac730,000 of income. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The orders bar Switzer, Joe Gallagher, Fiona Hannigan, Armand Lako, Bruce MacInnes, Alexandra McConnell Walshe, Donna Thompson and John McGuinness, from interfering with any suppliers, contractors or third parties engaged by Flatley for the Lord of the Dance tour.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The order also restrains interference with cast, crew and production staff.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Flatley complained that Switzer had continued to contact European promoters, allegedly in defiance of a previous court order and undertakings not to obstruct his rights.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He said \u201cmost egregiously\u201d Switzer had collected \u20ac300,000 from Bela Prima, a promoter, depriving him of funds that were generated from his intellectual property. He said his solicitors had written to Switzer seeking return of the money but had been ignored. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He later discovered that a firm, Semmel Concerts GmbH, had paid funds to Switzer and this had not been disclosed to Flatley.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">An affidavit was submitted by Denis O\u2019Sullivan, a former garda who is now a Forensic Fraud and Asset Tracing Consultant who works for Flatley. He said he was retained to help trace the former dancer\u2019s assets and liabilities. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He said the main concern of Flatley and his wife Niamh was that when Switzer took over management of their financial affairs in 2022, their borrowings were \u20ac4 million. By mid-2025 the debts had \u201cspiralled to \u20ac17 million\u201d and the family was given no explanation for this.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">O\u2019Sullivan said in his 46 years of professional experience \u201cI have never encountered obstruction of the kind I have faced in this matter\u201d. He said he had been met with \u201cabuse, false allegations and outright dishonesty\u201d from the directors of Switzer and their agents. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">At a meeting between the parties last November 22nd, O\u2019Sullivan alleged that a woman working for Switzer called Niamh Flatley \u201ca f**ing c**t\u201d. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cThis was particularly distressing given that Mrs Flatley was seriously ill that day and required an oxygen mask throughout the meeting,\u201d he said. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He said Des Walshe, Flatley\u2019s former agent, \u201cbroke down and wept\u201d at the end of the meeting. O\u2019Sullivan said he regarded both displays as \u201cdeliberate theatrics designed to obstruct our access to the company\u2019s financial records\u201d. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">O\u2019Sullivan outlined how he had travelled to London on March 17th after learning that Switzer had organised a Lord of the Dance performance at the Annabel\u2019s Club in Mayfair. He said he waited outside until the show was over to collect the costumes for transport to Croatia. He denied allegations that he \u201cbullied or threatened any person\u201d and said all his interactions with people were cordial.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">O\u2019Sullivan said upon arrival in Zagreb on March 24th an arena manager said Flatley\u2019s production team would not be permitted to access the venue because of the ongoing dispute. O\u2019Sullivan said Flatley\u2019s production team withdrew to a nearby restaurant to avoid confrontation.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">In his affidavit, Flatley complained that Switzer had made sustained approaches to the Lord of the Dance cast and crew to secure their compliance and to \u201cinduce confusion, uncertainty and disaffection amongst production personnel\u201d. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He said dancers and crew were being pressured into working exclusively for Switzer.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Flatley complained that costumes, sets and equipment from the Lord of the Dance show in the 3Arena performance on February 5th were removed by Switzer\u2019s agents and stored in containers at a premises in Finglas. He alleged that Switzer had \u201cno lawful ownership\u201d of the material.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He accused Switzer of running a campaign of interference against him by contacting suppliers and promoters to claim Flatley did not own the show or have the right to run it.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Flatley complained that John McGuinness, a lighting engineer who worked with Switzer, had contacted the Lord of the Dance crew to instruct them only to deal with himself or James Keegan, who works with Switzer. He said McGuinness had written that his instruction was \u201ccrucial and almost legal\u201d and said it was something Switzer needed to happen to uphold their \u201clegal entity\u201d.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">He complained that, despite his solicitor Creed McStay writing to warn him to stop his activities, McGuinness instead contacted a German promoter to seek a \u20ac400,000 payment. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Flatley said he disputes claims from Switzer and Des Walshe, his former agent, that he transferred all his intellectual property rights, valued at \u20ac158 million, for the sum of \u20ac1. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Switzer had previously accused Flatley of trying to \u201chijack\u201d the tour to strip it of cash to fund his debts and personal lifestyle. On Wednesday evening, Conor Sally, solicitor for Switzer, said his client could not comment on proceedings where it was not represented.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The High Court in Belfast has granted Michael Flatley a new injunction against a Northern Irish company he&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":402938,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[75],"tags":[663,84290,18,117,19,17,4778,954],"class_list":["post-402937","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-entertainment","tag-belfast","tag-croatia","tag-eire","tag-entertainment","tag-ie","tag-ireland","tag-michael-flatley","tag-northern-ireland"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@ie\/116289436710337296","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/402937","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=402937"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/402937\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/402938"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=402937"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=402937"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=402937"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}