{"id":646860,"date":"2026-08-20T07:38:22","date_gmt":"2026-08-20T07:38:22","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/646860\/"},"modified":"2026-08-20T07:38:22","modified_gmt":"2026-08-20T07:38:22","slug":"israel-army-admits-firing-on-car-carrying-hind-rajab-5-and-family-in-gaza-and-opens-criminal-inquiry-the-irish-times","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/646860\/","title":{"rendered":"Israel army admits firing on car carrying Hind Rajab (5) and family in Gaza and opens criminal inquiry \u2013 The Irish Times"},"content":{"rendered":"<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The Israeli military admitted on Wednesday its troops had opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/gaza-strip\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/gaza-strip\/\">Gaza<\/a> in 2024, saying it had ordered a criminal investigation into the killings.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The killing of Hind and her family was one of the most high-profile of a series of incidents involving civilian casualties during the first months of the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/israel-hamas-conflict\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/israel-hamas-conflict\/\">Gaza conflict<\/a> which prompted international outrage.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Hind died after a desperate three-hour phone call to the Palestinian <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/red-crescent-society\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/red-crescent-society\/\">Red Crescent<\/a> on  January 29th, 2024, in which she pleaded for rescue. The family\u2019s Kia Picanto car had been hit as the family sought to flee a new Israeli offensive into Gaza City. All the other passengers were also killed.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/israel-defence-forces\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/israel-defence-forces\/\">Israel Defense Forces (IDF)<\/a> repeatedly denied its troops had been present in the area near the incident, but investigations by media and others found evidence that strongly suggested nearby Israeli tanks were responsible.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Palestinian paramedics dispatched an ambulance to rescue Hind and stayed on the line until contact was lost, but the ambulance too came under fire, killing two medics. The bodies of the casualties were only retrieved 12 days later when Israeli troops withdrew. The IDF also admitted Wednesday that troops had fired on the ambulance.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cFollowing review of the findings and due to alleged failures in the co-ordination of the movement of the Palestine Red Crescent ambulance, it has been decided to initiate a criminal investigation of the incident by military police criminal investigation division,\u201d the military said on Wednesday.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The IDF published reviews on Wednesday into four other high-profile incidents in Gaza, saying it was launching a criminal investigation into the killing  near the southern city of Rafah<a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2025\/04\/20\/israeli-military-says-review-into-killing-of-gaza-aid-workers-found-professional-failures\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2025\/04\/20\/israeli-military-says-review-into-killing-of-gaza-aid-workers-found-professional-failures\/\"> of 15 Palestinian medics and humanitarian personnel in March 2025<\/a>.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Troops lying in ambush for Hamas militants initially shot at an ambulance that was trying to retrieve casualties from an Israeli offensive, then fired on a series of emergency vehicles which approached their positions, according to phone footage and the sole survivor of the shootings.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The soldiers then bulldozed over the bodies and vehicles, burying them in a mass grave. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/united-nations-un\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/united-nations-un\/\">UN<\/a> and rescue workers were only able to reach the site a week later.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cThey were killed in their uniforms. Driving their clearly marked vehicles. Wearing their gloves. On their way to save lives. This should never have happened,\u201d said Jonathan Whittall, a UN official who helped recover the bodies.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The Israeli military initially said it had opened fire because the vehicles were \u201cadvancing suspiciously\u201d without headlights or emergency signals. But it backtracked from that account after footage emerged showing the Red Crescent and civil defence teams driving slowly with their emergency vehicle lights flashing and logos visible.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \"> Regarding the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2024\/04\/03\/family-and-friends-recall-selfless-aid-workers-killed-in-israeli-airstrike\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2024\/04\/03\/family-and-friends-recall-selfless-aid-workers-killed-in-israeli-airstrike\/\">killings of seven aid workers with the World Central Kitchen charity<\/a> \u2060in April 2024,  the military said there was \u201cno reasonable suspicion of \u200ccriminal \u200cmisconduct \u200bthat would justify the opening of a criminal investigation\u201d.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">World Central Kitchen said it strongly disagreed with Israeli officials\u2019 account of the airstrikes and their decision not to pursue a criminal investigation. \u201cThere has never been any excuse or justification for the attacks, and there is nothing in this account that does so. The decision is inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive,\u201d it said in a statement.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cAt the time of the lethal attacks, the IDF knew that our team in Gaza was unarmed and posing a threat to nobody. It had full visual clarity on our clearly marked humanitarian vehicles during the extended, multiple airstrikes. It knew our team\u2019s movements, identities and activities in advance.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Israeli \u2060rights groups say that criminal \u2060misconduct investigations of  Israeli \u200btroops over the killing of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cNearly zero indictments are served relative to the number of complaints of soldiers and commanders who commit offences. In rare cases when commanders or soldiers are convicted, they receive ridiculously lenient sentences compared with the severity of the offence,\u201d a spokesperson for the Israeli rights organisation Yesh Din said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Dan Owen, a researcher  with Yesh Din, said that over the last decade only a \u201ctiny\u201d \u200bproportion of investigations had led to indictments,  while growing political pressure \u201cfurther deters Israeli law-enforcement authorities from holding those responsible accountable, even when clear evidence does exist\u201d. <\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph b-it-article-body__interstitial-link\">[\u00a0<a aria-label=\"Open related story\" class=\"c-link\" href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2025\/04\/06\/israel-says-its-account-of-15-rescue-workers-killed-in-gaza-was-partly-mistaken\/\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Israel says its account of 15 rescue workers killed in Gaza was partly \u2018mistaken\u2019Opens in new window<\/a>\u00a0]<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">In March 2025, \u200bthe remains of the 15 emergency and aid workers from the Red Crescent, Palestinian Civil Defense and the UN were recovered from a grave in the sand in the south of the Gaza Strip, UN officials said at the time.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Israeli forces say they have never deliberately targeted civilians in the Gaza war. They say the Palestinian militant group Hamas endangers \u2060such people\u2019s lives by using them for cover.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The Israeli military did not immediately \u2060comment directly on the deaths of the Red Crescent \u200bworkers at the time. In a later statement, it said  it had facilitated the evacuation of the bodies from the area, which it described as an active combat zone. It did not specifically respond to questions about why the bodies were retrieved from beneath the sand or why the vehicles were found crushed.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph b-it-article-body__interstitial-link\">[\u00a0<a aria-label=\"Open related story\" class=\"c-link\" href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/world\/middle-east\/2025\/04\/02\/palestinian-paramedics-shot-by-israeli-forces-had-hands-tied-eyewitnesses-say\/\" rel=\"noreferrer nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Palestinian paramedics shot by Israeli forces had hands tied, eyewitnesses sayOpens in new window<\/a>\u00a0]<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">Munther Abed, a Palestinian paramedic who said he was present at the incident,  said on Wednesday he hoped \u201cthose who killed my colleagues, who were like family to me, face justice, real justice\u201d.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">\u201cI want \u200cto say to the whole world, Ambulances \u2060101 is not a target and they must be protected,\u201d he said referring to the speed dial number for the Red Crescent Service in Gaza.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023, with thousands more killed in its military operations in southern \u200c<a href=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/lebanon\/\" target=\"_self\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" title=\"https:\/\/www.irishtimes.com\/tags\/lebanon\/\">Lebanon<\/a>. The dead include many aid workers, doctors, journalists and others. Israel\u2019s military, which says its attacks target Hamas and Hizbullah militants, opens investigations into some of its attacks, when they involve the deaths of civilians including medical and aid workers \u200bor journalists.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">The Gaza ceasefire declared last October may have halted  all-out fighting in Gaza, but it failed to end \u200bIsraeli attacks. Israel has said its ongoing strikes aim to thwart imminent attacks by Hamas and other Gaza militants.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-paragraph paywall \">More than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed since the truce, according to Gaza health authorities and the Israeli military. \u2013 Guardian\/Reuters <\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The Israeli military admitted on Wednesday its troops had opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":646861,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[3],"tags":[9,10,18,13,14,3761,6,19,17,71,6220,3857,11,12,14407,15,16,5,273718,7,8,2863],"class_list":["post-646860","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-headlines","tag-breaking-news","tag-breakingnews","tag-eire","tag-featured-news","tag-featurednews","tag-gaza-strip","tag-headlines","tag-ie","tag-ireland","tag-israel","tag-israel-defence-forces","tag-israel-hamas-conflict","tag-latest-news","tag-latestnews","tag-lebanon","tag-main-news","tag-mainnews","tag-news","tag-red-crescent-society","tag-top-stories","tag-topstories","tag-united-nations-un"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@ie\/117126699929585976","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/646860","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=646860"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/646860\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/646861"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=646860"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=646860"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/ie\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=646860"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}