Two explosions hit an MSC container vessel in the Gulf about 40 nautical miles southeast of Iraq’s Umm Qasr port on 1 June.

UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) initially reported the ship had been struck on its starboard side by a projectile, causing a large explosion. A fire broke out on board but was later brought under control. According to Reuters, witness accounts from an Iraqi maritime patrol member said a drone was heard overhead shortly before a second, more powerful blast that also ignited a fire on the tanker.

UKMTO WARNING 063-26 UPDATE 001

Click here to view the full warning⤵️https://t.co/HjNWQf1FPT#MaritimeSecurity #MarSec pic.twitter.com/2gPlZLNAux

— UKMTO Operations Centre (@UK_MTO) June 1, 2026

The vessel was subsequently secured, and no crew members were reported injured.

The ship’s operator, MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company), later confirmed its vessel MSC Sariska V had been hit by two projectiles while departing Umm Qasr. MSC said all crew were safe and described the attacks as unprovoked.

MSC statement on MSC Sariska V

Yesterday, MSC Sariska V was struck by two projectiles while departing the port of Um-Qasr, Iraq.

We are relieved to confirm that all crew members are safe and unharmed. We would also like to thank them for their professionalism and composure…

— MSC Cargo (@MSCCargo) June 2, 2026

The company also noted reports suggesting that the IRGC claimed responsibility, framing the attack as retaliation linked to US actions involving another vessel. MSC rejected these claims, stressing that it is a neutral commercial carrier with no political affiliation.

To remind, a tentative agreement was reached during the last week of May between the United States and Iran to extend a fragile ceasefire by 60 days and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.