Iran on Wednesday rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim that Washington has “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz, insisting that the strategic waterway continues to remain blocked.
Iran on Wednesday rejected US President Donald Trump’s claim that Washington has “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz, insisting that the strategic waterway continues to remain blocked. Tehran went on to reiterate that the blockade won’t be lifted until Tehran’s conditions are accepted.
In a statement on X, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority made it clear that neither Trump’s nor other American officials’ claims on the strait have changed the situation. “Claims and repeated posts by U.S. officials that the Strait of Hormuz is no longer blocked do not change the reality: the Strait of Hormuz remains blocked and will not be reopened until Iran’s conditions are accepted,” the PGSA said.
The Iranian response on the matter came just hours after Trump claimed on his social media platform, Truth Social, that the US exercised “total control” over the Strait of Hormuz and “will keep it”. The American leader described the US naval deployment in the region as a “WALL OF STEEL” and said, “there is nothing Iran can do about it”.
Trump boasts about US ops
In the statement on Wednesday, Trump said: “The USA has total control over the Strait of Hormuz. I THINK WE WILL KEEP IT! Our Naval Blockade is being called by everyone ‘A WALL OF STEEL,’ and there is nothing Iran can do about it.” He repeated another claim that Tehran’s military infrastructure had been severely degraded, concluding his message with the phrase, “Praise be to Allah!”
More from World
“All they have is FAKE NEWS and 300% INFLATION, and getting worse! Iran is all talk and no action, the Bully of the Middle East No Longer. Praise be to Allah! President DONALD J. TRUMP,” he added in the social media post. The American president’s aggressive remarks on the matter follow an extended confrontation over the Strait of Hormuz, a key maritime passage through which nearly 20 per cent of global petroleum trade passes.
Amid the frequent confrontation, Tehran has repeatedly warned that maritime traffic could be restricted or disrupted if external pressure on Iran continues to mount. In response to this, the United States went ahead and deployed a significant naval presence across the Gulf. They reaffirmed that guaranteeing freedom of navigation remains a primary security goal.
As tensions continue, Iran’s newly appointed head of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC), Mohsen Rezaei, warned that Tehran will not fully reopen the strategic Strait of Hormuz until the United States meets “all the conditions.” In a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, Rezaei shared Iran’s position on the matter.
“IRAN’s message is clear: the Strait of Hormuz will not reopen until the U.S. ends the war and blockade, releases Iran’s frozen assets, and agrees to a region-wide ceasefire, including in Lebanon and Gaza,” he wrote in the post. Rezaei added, “Until all conditions are met, the Strait will remain closed.”
With inputs from ANI.