A rare overnight operation reportedly targeted Tehran and sparked urgent diplomatic alarm. Details remain contested as officials and analysts react to the potential escalation.
The information about this was published on the IDF’s social media. The Israel Defense Forces said that on the night of March 18, the Israeli Air Force conducted a targeted strike on Tehran, the capital of Iran, in which the country’s Minister of Intelligence Esma’il Hatib was allegedly killed.
According to the Israeli side, the operation was carried out based on previously obtained intelligence. In the IDF statement, Hatib headed Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence – a key agency responsible for intelligence activities, internal security, and operations abroad.
Hatib was appointed to the post of minister in 2021 by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. The Israeli side claims that he played a significant role in suppressing protests in Iran, particularly during the mass demonstrations following the death of Mahsa Amini in 2022–2023.
Israel also says that under Hatib’s leadership, Iranian intelligence conducted operations against Israeli and American targets around the world.
Military operation by Israel and the United States against Iran
On February 28, Israel attacked Tehran, the Iranian capital. Subsequently, U.S. President Donald Trump said that American forces had begun “a major combat operation” against Iran with the aim of “eliminating the imminent threats from the Iranian regime.” He accused the Iranian authorities of “financing and training” militants in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Hamas in Palestine. According to him, the goal of the operation is “the destruction of Iran’s missile industry and fleet,” as well as “to ensure the impossibility of destabilizing the world.”
“a major combat operation” against Iran with the aim of “eliminating the imminent threats posed by the Iranian regime”
– Donald Trump
KVIR said it launched rockets and drones toward Israel, and also attacked American bases in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Against this backdrop, French President Emmanuel Macron called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council. The European Union said it confirms its “unwavering commitment to ensuring regional security and stability” in the Middle East. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said it is fair to give the Iranians a chance to rid themselves of the “terrorist regime” and guarantee the safety of all people who have suffered from attacks from Iran.
“financing and training” of militants in Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Hamas in Palestine
– Donald Trump
“destroying Iran’s missile industry and fleet”
– Donald Trump
“to ensure that the world cannot be destabilized”
– Donald Trump
On March 2, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that the next phase of the U.S. military operation against Iran would be even more destructive.