Welcome to our live coverage of US politics and the war in the Middle East.
Iran’s military announced on Sunday that it was offering a bounty equivalent to $30,000 for killing or capturing US soldiers, with the reward doubled if carried out by a woman.
Army chief Amir Hatami said the plan had been drawn up following a “large number of requests” to participate, according to the IRNA state news agency.
There has been no known deployment of US ground forces in Iran during the Middle East war, with the exception of a rescue mission in April for a downed American airman.
Hatami did not provide any details on where or when the killing or capturing of US soldiers was expected to take place.
“Anyone who kills or captures and hands over an invading American military personnel will receive a reward equivalent to $30,000 or 5 billion tomans from the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Army,” Mr Hatami said.
“Courageous Iranian women who carry out such an action will receive double the reward,” he added.
Mr Hatami repeated Iran’s call for the US to leave the Middle East, and said “they no longer have permission to enter the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman or the Strait of Hormuz”.
It comes after US President Donald Trump last week threatened to declare the Strait of Hormuz a “territory of the United States” once the war is over.
There remains little sign of a breakthrough in peace negotiations, with Iran insistent that it must be able to charge tolls on commercial vessels passing through the strait.
There are more than 50,000 US troops based in the Middle East. A total of 18 American soldiers have died since the conflict began in February.
Read below for updates.