Trump says the Strait of Hormuz is fully open. Trade data suggests otherwise

President Donald Trump stated the Strait of Hormuz is fully open, but trade data shows a significant drop in ship traffic, raising questions about the claim.

Rachel HirschheimerBen MillerWASHINGTON —

The war in Iran is approaching the six-month mark next Friday, with no talks or scheduled conversations to end the conflict, according to President Donald Trump.

Navigability of Strait of Hormuz disputed

In a social media post on Tuesday, Trump claimed the naval blockade remains in full force and that the Strait of Hormuz is fully open.

However, trade intelligence firm Kpler reported that ship traffic through the strait dropped significantly last week, with only three ships passing through the waterway on Sunday. The number of vessels transiting the strait totaled 95 all week, compared to more than 100 daily, before the war.

The administration has disputed the accuracy of these figures. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said there are “dark” transits occurring, where ships cannot be tracked and many of those vessels are bringing oil to market.

Iran has bombed or threatened to attack military and civilian boats traveling through the strait, effectively paralyzing the key waterway since the war began on Feb. 28.

Trump threatens Oman/Iran Deal to reopen Strait

Meanwhile, the president has issued threats to Oman, a U.S. ally, opposing parts of a deal the country is developing with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

It remains unclear whether the president’s threats will affect Oman’s negotiations with Iran, but the situation underscores the ongoing tensions surrounding the conflict.

This week, Hearst Television Washington Correspondent Jackie DeFusco asked Trump in the Oval Office if he is any closer to reaching a final deal to end Iran’s nuclear program than he was 60 days ago.

The president responded, “Well, they want to make a deal, but they’re not gonna make the kind of deal I feel is necessary. Look, we’re in there for one reason: Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.”

The memorandum of understanding signed between the U.S. and Iran that set a 60-day goal to reach a permanent plan to end the war expired Monday, with no word on extending the agreement.

Keep watching for the latest from the Washington News Bureau: