{"id":110307,"date":"2026-05-12T14:44:16","date_gmt":"2026-05-12T14:44:16","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/110307\/"},"modified":"2026-05-12T14:44:16","modified_gmt":"2026-05-12T14:44:16","slug":"hezbollah-leader-urges-lebanon-to-quit-direct-israel-talks-2","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/110307\/","title":{"rendered":"Hezbollah leader urges Lebanon to quit direct Israel talks"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><img alt=\"Women grieve as they carry the body of 6-month-old Mariam Fahos during a funeral procession for people killed a day earlier in an Israeli airstrike in the village of Saksakieh, in the southern port city of Sidon, Lebanon, Sunday, May 10, 2026.\" loading=\"eager\" fetchpriority=\"high\"   style=\"aspect-ratio:3 \/ 2\" class=\"x100 y100 opc bgpc ofcv bgscv block bg-gray200 mnh0px fill\"\/><\/p>\n<p>Women grieve as they carry the body of 6-month-old Mariam Fahos during a funeral procession for people killed a day earlier in an Israeli airstrike in the village of Saksakieh, in the southern port city of Sidon, Lebanon, Sunday, May 10, 2026.<\/p>\n<p>Mohammed Zaatari\/AP<\/p>\n<p>BEIRUT (AP) \u2014 The leader of Lebanon\u2019s militant Hezbollah group called on the government Tuesday to withdraw from direct talks with Israel, calling them a concession and urging \u201cindirect negotiations.\u201d<\/p>\n<p><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/cdn-channels-pixel.ex.co\/events\/0012000001fxZm9AAE?integrationType=DEFAULT&amp;template=design%2Farticle%2Fplatypus_two_column.tpl\" alt=\"\" class=\"x1px y1px vh abs\" aria-hidden=\"true\" width=\"1\" height=\"1\"\/><\/p>\n<p>Lebanon and Israel are scheduled to hold two days of talks in Washington starting Thursday in an attempt to end the latest fighting that broke out two months ago, following the Iran war, and discuss the future of relations between the two sides that have been at war since Israel was created in 1948.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Hezbollah leader urges indirect talks<\/p>\n<p>Naim Kassem said in a letter directed to the group\u2019s officials that direct negotiations benefit Israel and that they are \u201cconcessions by Lebanese authorities.\u201d He said Lebanon\u2019s government should instead resort to indirect negotiations with Israel, as in previous years, such as when a ceasefire was reached in November 2024.<\/p>\n<p>Indirect talks are usually done through a third party.<\/p>\n<p>Kassem also said the dispute over Hezbollah\u2019s possession of weapons was an internal affair and shouldn&#8217;t be part of the talks with Israel. The Lebanese government has sought the disarmament of the militant group after the latest round of fighting broke out in early March, calling all military activities by the group illegal.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese authorities have also demanded cessation of hostilities, Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, deployment of Lebanese troops south of the Litani river, the release of Lebanese prisoners held in Israel and the return of displaced people to their homes.<\/p>\n<p>Kassem said Tuesday his group is ready to cooperate to help achieve the five points demanded by the country&#8217;s government.<\/p>\n<p>Israel and Lebanon trade attacks despite the ceasefire<\/p>\n<p>Despite the U.S.-brokered ceasefire, which went into effect on April 17, Israel and Hezbollah have continued carrying out daily attacks.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Lebanese Health Minister Rakan Nassereddine told reporters Tuesday that since the ceasefire went into effect, 380 people have been killed and 1,122 wounded.<\/p>\n<p>He added that since the latest war started on March 2, when Hezbollah fired rockets into northern Israel two days after the U.S. and Israel attacked Iran, the death toll in Lebanon has reached 2,882 dead and 8,786 wounded.<\/p>\n<p>Since the early hours of Tuesday, Israel\u2019s air force carried out strikes in different parts of southern Lebanon as well as the village of Sohmor in the eastern Bekaa Valley, state-run National News Agency reported. NNA said airstrikes on the village of Jibchit killed three and wounded four on Tuesday.<\/p>\n<p>The Israeli military had earlier issued an evacuation warning to the residents of Sohmor and four villages in southern Lebanon.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>The National News Agency reported that an Israeli force entered parts of the southern village of Deir Mimas on the Litani River and blew up a water pumping station that uses solar energy and supplies the village with fresh water. The agency said that the blast at the station at around 5 a.m. (0200 GMT) caused wide damage.<\/p>\n<p>The Israeli military posted photos of troops along the Litani River, without providing exact location details.<\/p>\n<p>Hezbollah issued a statement saying that its fighters struck Israeli troops Tuesday morning near the Litani River in the village of Deir Seryan with rockets. It gave no further details.<\/p>\n<p>Also Tuesday, Hezbollah confirmed that one of its military commanders was killed in an airstrike near Beirut last week. The group released a photo of Ahmed Ghaleb Balout describing him as a commander who spent much of his life on the battlefield.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n<p>Balout was killed May 6 in an airstrike on a southern suburb of Beirut.<\/p>\n<p>It was the first airstrike near Beirut since the ceasefire went into effect.<\/p>\n<p>The Israeli military said Thursday it had killed Balout, who it identified as a commander in Hezbollah\u2019s elite Radwan Force, along with two other militants.<\/p>\n<p class=\"uiTextSmall f aic jcc\">Article continues below this ad<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Women grieve as they carry the body of 6-month-old Mariam Fahos during a funeral procession for people killed&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":110308,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[32],"tags":[37919,37,93,37918,2704,3284,3285,3282,3283],"class_list":{"0":"post-110307","1":"post","2":"type-post","3":"status-publish","4":"format-standard","5":"has-post-thumbnail","7":"category-lebanon","8":"tag-ahmed-ghaleb-balout","9":"tag-israel","10":"tag-lebanon","11":"tag-lebanon-israel-hezbollah-litani-negotiations-washington","12":"tag-naim-kassem","13":"tag-package-100024-ap-online","14":"tag-package-100373-mc-complete-state-national","15":"tag-product-30598-ap-national-news-report-a-wire","16":"tag-product-32505-ap-online-middle-east-news"},"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116562143643604150","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/110307","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=110307"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/110307\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/110308"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=110307"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=110307"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=110307"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}