{"id":172272,"date":"2026-06-22T15:53:08","date_gmt":"2026-06-22T15:53:08","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/172272\/"},"modified":"2026-06-22T15:53:08","modified_gmt":"2026-06-22T15:53:08","slug":"strait-of-hormuz-talks-produce-road-map-but-mines-still-block-normal-shipping","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/172272\/","title":{"rendered":"Strait of Hormuz Talks Produce Road Map, but Mines Still Block Normal Shipping"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The first round of direct negotiations between the United States and Iran concluded early Monday at a resort on the shores of Lake Lucerne in Switzerland, with both countries agreeing to what mediators from Qatar and Pakistan described as &#8220;a road map&#8221; for a final settlement \u2014 and, more concretely, to a coordination mechanism aimed at clearing the hundreds of naval mines that continue to make the world&#8217;s most critical oil chokepoint dangerous regardless of what either government says about it.<\/p>\n<p>Vice President JD Vance, who led the U.S. delegation into roughly 18 hours of intensive talks at the B\u00fcrgenstock Resort with Iran&#8217;s lead negotiator, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, said negotiators had made &#8220;a lot of good progress&#8221; on keeping the Strait of Hormuz open and on setting up what he called a &#8220;coordination mechanism&#8221; for demining. He also announced that Iran had agreed to invite <a href=\"https:\/\/www.iaea.org\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">International Atomic Energy Agency<\/a> inspectors back into the country, describing it as &#8220;a major milestone for the American people&#8221; and &#8220;the first step in permanently denuclearising&#8221; Iran&#8217;s weapons program.<\/p>\n<p>For the roughly 550 merchant vessels \u2014 including 160 tankers, 200 bulk carriers, and 60 container ships \u2014 waiting to exit the Persian Gulf, the road map is welcome. Whether it translates into safe passage is a different question entirely.<\/p>\n<p>What the Switzerland Talks Actually Produced<\/p>\n<p>The first face-to-face engagement between U.S. and Iranian officials since the 1979 Islamic Revolution produced three concrete outcomes: a joint statement from Qatar and Pakistan declaring &#8220;encouraging progress,&#8221; a commitment to begin technical-level talks immediately, and the coordination mechanism on mine clearance. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.npr.org\/2026\/06\/21\/g-s1-129222\/us-iran-deal-lebanon-israel-strait-hormuz-jd-vance\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">NPR<\/a> reported mediators described the talks as having resulted in &#8220;encouraging progress&#8221; and &#8220;immediate commencement of technical talks.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Iran&#8217;s 60-day oil sanction waiver materialized alongside the road map. U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent announced Monday that the department had issued a temporary general license authorizing the production, delivery, and sale of Iranian crude oil through August 21, 2026 \u2014 a significant economic concession designed to give Tehran an incentive to keep the waterway open while formal nuclear negotiations proceed.<\/p>\n<p>The talks were strained throughout. President Trump posted a social-media threat during Sunday&#8217;s session warning that the United States would &#8220;hit Iran very hard again, just like we did last week, only harder&#8221; if Iran&#8217;s proxy forces in Lebanon continued fighting. Iran&#8217;s lead negotiator, Ghalibaf, said on social media that Iran&#8217;s armed forces were prepared to respond. Vance, sitting in the same resort, told reporters &#8220;things are always a little bit messy.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Iran Says It Closed the Strait; the U.S. Says It Did Not<\/p>\n<p>Before the Switzerland talks even began, Iran&#8217;s Revolutionary Guard Corps declared Saturday that the Strait of Hormuz was closed, citing what it called &#8220;the explicit breach of the first clause&#8221; of the memorandum of understanding signed June 17 \u2014 specifically, that fighting between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon had continued despite the MOU&#8217;s requirement that hostilities end on all fronts.<\/p>\n<p>The U.S. military disputed the claim flatly. U.S. Central Command stated that 55 commercial vessels completed transit on Saturday, carrying more than 17 million barrels of oil, and that &#8220;safe passage through the international waterway remained intact.&#8221; On Sunday, U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said on Fox News that 67 ships had traversed the strait the previous day. Speaking from the same <a href=\"https:\/\/www.foxnews.com\/live-news\/us-iran-peace-deal-nuclear-talks-switzerland-06-21-26\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Fox News<\/a> broadcast, Wright said oil volumes moving through Hormuz were roughly comparable to pre-conflict levels on those particular days \u2014 a claim that merits context: pre-war daily traffic averaged 120 to 140 ships, while recent average transits have been 12 to 20 vessels per day.<\/p>\n<p>The dispute reflects a fundamental legal disagreement that the MOU did not resolve. Under UNCLOS \u2014 specifically Part III, Articles 37 through 44 \u2014 the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.britannica.com\/place\/Strait-of-Hormuz\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Strait of Hormuz<\/a> qualifies as an international strait used for international navigation, meaning all vessels have the right of transit passage regardless of the bordering state&#8217;s wishes. Unlike innocent passage, transit passage cannot be suspended. Iran has not ratified UNCLOS and entered a declaration in 1982 asserting that only UNCLOS parties may exercise the treaty&#8217;s rights \u2014 a position that international maritime law scholars broadly reject, citing customary international law and the 1949 International Court of Justice Corfu Channel ruling, which established that blocking an international strait violates international law even for non-party states.<\/p>\n<p>In practice, Iran&#8217;s ability to declare the strait closed and back it with actual military force depends on its physical presence, not its legal arguments. The IRGC&#8217;s naval division controls the northern shore and the Iranian islands at the strait&#8217;s entrance \u2014 geography that gives Tehran real coercive power regardless of what the law says.<\/p>\n<p>The Obstacle Neither Government Can Waive: Mines<\/p>\n<p>Below the diplomatic dispute over legal authority lies a physical problem that neither country&#8217;s statements can alter: the central corridor of the Strait of Hormuz is mined, and not all of the mines are accounted for.<\/p>\n<p>Secretary of State Marco Rubio told the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/features\/2026\/6\/17\/strait-of-hormuz-reopens-how-will-safe-passage-for-ships-be-ensured\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Senate Foreign Relations Committee<\/a> on June 2 that Iran had &#8220;mined large segments of Hormuz \u2014 international waters.&#8221; After U.S. strikes aimed at destroying Iranian mine-laying capacity, Corey Ranslem, chief executive of maritime security group Dryad Global, estimated that Iran still possessed up to 1,000 naval mines. Critically, U.S. officials have <a href=\"https:\/\/www.jpost.com\/middle-east\/article-892741\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">reported<\/a> that Iran has lost track of some of the mines it deployed \u2014 meaning the clearance operation cannot rely on Iranian location data and must depend entirely on sonar sweeps of the affected areas.<\/p>\n<p>The mine-clearance operation involves both conventional minesweepers and a fleet of uncrewed underwater vehicles. The U.S. Navy is deploying the Knifefish UUV \u2014 a General Dynamics system that uses high-resolution side-scan sonar to detect and classify mines buried in sediment or hidden in high-clutter environments \u2014 alongside the Mk 18 Mod 2 Kingfish, a torpedo-shaped sonar vehicle for deeper-water search. MH-60S helicopters tow AQS-20 sonar sleds across suspected minefields while Unmanned Influence Sweep Systems neutralize identified mines by detonating them in place. Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers provide a defensive screen for the vulnerable drone platforms operating in contested waters. <a href=\"https:\/\/defensescoop.com\/2026\/04\/11\/strait-of-hormuz-mine-clearance-navy-centcom-underwater-drones\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">DefenseScoop<\/a> has reported that the Navy plans to deploy these systems as part of the CENTCOM-led clearance effort.<\/p>\n<p>Five Western maritime security sources, cited by Reuters and independently confirmed across multiple outlets, assess that this operation could require 40 to 50 days to reach a point where insurance underwriters, shipping companies, and oil firms feel confident enough to commit vessels. <a href=\"https:\/\/investinglive.com\/commodities\/hormuz-reopening-road-map-mines-insurance-and-stranded-ships-slow-the-path-for-oil-flow-20260615\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Kpler<\/a>&#8216;s Middle East analyst has offered a more conservative estimate of approximately six months for a comprehensive sweep.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/www.timesofisrael.com\/operation-to-remove-iranian-mines-from-strait-of-hormuz-could-take-weeks-experts-say\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Jakob Larsen<\/a>, chief safety and security officer at BIMCO, the world&#8217;s largest shipping association, has been unambiguous: &#8220;We still consider it very risky for ships to commence transits at this point. The threat of mines in the area remains a concern immediately as well as further down the line and mine-free routes need to be established.&#8221; Ren\u00e9 Kofod-Olsen, the CEO of V.Group \u2014 one of the world&#8217;s largest ship management firms, with 13 vessels currently stuck in the Gulf \u2014 put the physical stakes plainly: &#8220;One sea mine is enough to have fatalities.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Mine Clearance Timeline Threatens to Outlast the Deal<\/p>\n<p>The diplomatic timeline and the physical safety timeline are on a collision course. The 60-day MOU window began June 18, placing its expiration at approximately August 17. The optimistic 40-to-50-day mine-clearance estimate \u2014 measured from the mid-June period when operations intensified \u2014 would put clearance completion in late July to early August. That leaves virtually no buffer: if the operation runs long, or if any disruption delays it, the waterway&#8217;s physical hazard could persist right through the window during which diplomacy must either succeed or fail.<\/p>\n<p>The pessimistic six-month estimate would extend the mine problem well into December 2026, meaning the strait could remain operationally dangerous long after any deal either closes or collapses.<\/p>\n<p>The implications for the approximately 550 merchant vessels waiting in the Gulf are direct. Pre-war traffic through the strait averaged 120 to 140 ships per day. In the weeks before the ceasefire, that dropped to an average of 12 to 20 vessels per day. The post-ceasefire spike \u2014 55 ships Saturday, 67 ships Sunday \u2014 reflects the easing of political pressure, not the clearance of physical risk. The two narrow inshore lanes that represent the only currently navigable corridors (each approximately two miles wide, running along the Omani and Iranian coastlines respectively) cannot safely absorb 550 waiting vessels plus resumed normal traffic before mine-free routes are formally established. Both <a href=\"https:\/\/gcaptain.com\/bimco-warns-hormuz-reopening-hinges-on-mine-clearance-as-trump-orders-sweep-surge\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">BIMCO and INTERTANKO<\/a> have warned against an uncoordinated surge in traffic and called for an internationally coordinated body to manage vessel movements through the confined inshore lanes.<\/p>\n<p>War-Risk Insurance Remains a Barrier Regardless of Ceasefire Status<\/p>\n<p>Even if the mine problem were resolved tomorrow, the insurance market would not normalize quickly. War-risk insurance premiums for Hormuz transits currently run at 1 to 4 percent of a vessel&#8217;s insured value per single crossing, compared with below 0.1 percent before the conflict began. For a vessel insured at $200 million \u2014 a typical figure for a supertanker \u2014 that translates to $2 million to $8 million in additional cost per transit. Those premiums are quick to rise and slow to fall; <a href=\"https:\/\/investinglive.com\/commodities\/hormuz-reopening-road-map-mines-insurance-and-stranded-ships-slow-the-path-for-oil-flow-20260615\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">underwriters<\/a> require sustained evidence of safe passage before they recalibrate rates.<\/p>\n<p>Even at the optimistic end of forecasts, energy flows through the strait are unlikely to exceed half of pre-war levels within the first month of clearance. A full recovery toward the 120-to-140-ship-per-day pre-war baseline stretches toward late 2026 at the earliest.<\/p>\n<p>Is the Strait of Hormuz Open Right Now?<\/p>\n<p>Technically, yes \u2014 for two narrow inshore lanes. Practically, the answer depends on what you are carrying, who flagged your vessel, and how risk-tolerant your insurer is.<\/p>\n<p>Commercial traffic has continued to move despite Iran&#8217;s Saturday closure declaration. <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/features\/2026\/6\/17\/strait-of-hormuz-reopens-how-will-safe-passage-for-ships-be-ensured\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noopener nofollow\">Lloyd&#8217;s List<\/a> reported Monday that Iranian-flagged supertankers and VLCCs were outbound from the Gulf of Oman with AIS tracking signals active. Iranian tankers appear to transit freely; third-country commercial vessels face a more complicated and costly calculus.<\/p>\n<p>The central lane \u2014 where pre-war traffic flowed in two-mile-wide inbound and outbound channels through the Traffic Separation Scheme \u2014 remains closed due to mines. The Omani coastal route and the northern inshore lane through Iranian territorial waters are navigable, but their confined geometry cannot absorb normal traffic volumes without significant collision and mine-detonation risk.<\/p>\n<p>A ceasefire announcement is not a mine-clearance certificate. Until the clearance operation is verified, mine-free routes formally established, and insurance rates returned to commercially viable levels, any return to full pre-war shipping through Hormuz will be driven by political sentiment rather than supply-chain safety.<\/p>\n<p>Frequently Asked Questions<\/p>\n<p>Is the Strait of Hormuz actually open right now?<\/p>\n<p>Partially. Two narrow inshore lanes along the Omani and Iranian coastlines are navigable, but the main central channel remains blocked by mines. Some commercial traffic \u2014 primarily Iranian-flagged tankers and select third-country vessels \u2014 has continued to move. BIMCO, the world&#8217;s largest shipping association, says transit remains &#8220;very risky&#8221; and has called for verified mine-free routes before commercial traffic resumes at scale.<\/p>\n<p>Who controls the Strait of Hormuz?<\/p>\n<p>No single country legally owns it. Under international maritime law \u2014 specifically the transit passage provisions in UNCLOS Part III \u2014 all vessels have the right to navigate international straits, and that right cannot be suspended by a bordering state. Iran controls the northern shore and the militarily significant islands at the strait&#8217;s entrance, giving it real physical power to threaten shipping even without legal authority to close it. The U.S. military has maintained that Iran &#8220;does not control&#8221; the strait; Iran has declared it closed. Both statements reflect a genuine ambiguity the MOU has not resolved.<\/p>\n<p>How long will mine clearing take in the Strait of Hormuz?<\/p>\n<p>Five Western maritime security sources assess 40 to 50 days for operations using conventional minesweepers and uncrewed underwater vehicles with sonar. Kpler&#8217;s Middle East analyst places the comprehensive estimate at closer to six months. A complicating factor: Iran reportedly lost track of some of the mines it deployed, meaning clearance teams must conduct a complete sonar survey rather than working from any Iranian location map.<\/p>\n<p>When could oil prices return to normal after the Iran war?<\/p>\n<p>Even under the optimistic clearance timeline, energy flows through Hormuz are unlikely to exceed half of pre-war levels within the first month. War-risk insurance premiums \u2014 currently 10 to 40 times their pre-war level \u2014 will fall only after underwriters accumulate sustained evidence of safe passage. A full recovery toward pre-war shipping volumes stretches toward late 2026 at the earliest. The 60-day MOU window expires around August 17, before a comprehensive mine sweep would likely be completed even under optimistic projections.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The first round of direct negotiations between the United States and Iran concluded early Monday at a resort&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":172273,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[26],"tags":[34,7174,213,39,150,101,153],"class_list":["post-172272","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-persian-gulf","tag-iran","tag-mines","tag-oil","tag-persian-gulf","tag-shipping","tag-strait-of-hormuz","tag-us"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116794569676764337","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/172272","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=172272"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/172272\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/172273"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=172272"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=172272"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=172272"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}