{"id":196848,"date":"2026-07-08T19:07:15","date_gmt":"2026-07-08T19:07:15","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/196848\/"},"modified":"2026-07-08T19:07:15","modified_gmt":"2026-07-08T19:07:15","slug":"israels-justice-minister-calls-to-ignore-high-court-ruling-on-state-comptroller","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/196848\/","title":{"rendered":"Israel&#8217;s justice minister calls to ignore High Court ruling on state comptroller"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Justice Minister <a href=\"https:\/\/www.jpost.com\/tags\/yariv-levin\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Yariv Levin<\/a> on Wednesday called on the government to disobey a High Court of Justice ruling that ordered a new Knesset vote for the appointment of attorney Michael Rabello as state comptroller.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cAttorney Rabello should assume the position,\u201d Levin said in a Kol Berama interview, calling on the Government to ignore the High Court ruling that Rabello\u2019s election had a fundamental defect to it and was invalid.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cThere should not even be any consideration for the possibility of holding new elections. I think there is no one from the entire coalition who holds a different stance [on the matter],\u201d Levin also said.<\/p>\n<p>Levin\u2019s remarks come after the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.jpost.com\/middle-east\/article-901784\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">High Court of Justice<\/a> had ruled unanimously last week that new elections must be held after the Knesset\u2019s controversial vote to appoint Rabello as state comptroller.<\/p>\n<p><a href=\"https:\/\/www.jpost.com\/israel-news\/politics-and-diplomacy\/article-901733\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Knesset<\/a> Speaker Amir Ohana has not yet commented on how he intends to respond to the High Court ruling regarding holding the revote, after he previously rejected the last proposal to redo the elections.<\/p>\n<p><img alt=\"Attorney Michael Rabello seen before a court hearing on the dismissal of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir at the Supreme Court in Jerusalem, April 15, 2026.\" loading=\"lazy\" width=\"822\" height=\"829\" decoding=\"async\" data-nimg=\"1\" style=\"color:transparent\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/725889.jpeg\"\/>Attorney Michael Rabello seen before a court hearing on the dismissal of National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir at the Supreme Court in Jerusalem, April 15, 2026. (credit: YONATAN SINDEL\/FLASH90)No sitting state comptroller since the revote decision\u00a0<\/p>\n<p>The High Court\u2019s decision to hold the revote came just days before <a href=\"https:\/\/www.jpost.com\/israel-news\/politics-and-diplomacy\/article-901070\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Rabello<\/a> was due to begin his term; therefore, since Sunday, there has been no sitting state comptroller in the country.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">In its ruling, the court stated that a \u201cfundamental defect occurred in the secrecy of the ballot\u201d that requires the annulment of the vote and the holding of a new election. The ruling was made through a unanimous vote by a five-judge panel.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">By law, the process for electing the state comptroller must be done through a secret ballot to keep the integrity of the vote intact and remove political pressure from the appointment.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">During the vote in June, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu\u2019s ruling Likud party had reportedly ordered its lawmakers to document themselves casting their vote for Rabello \u2013 who is also Netanyahu\u2019s personal attorney \u2013 as a way to place pressure on them.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Rabello was elected after a disputed two-round Knesset vote. In the first round, retired Supreme Court justice Yosef Elron received 60 votes, and Rabello received 57, leaving both candidates short of the required 61-vote majority.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">A second round was then held. Opposition lawmakers alleged that coalition MKs had been asked to photograph or film their ballots behind the curtain, despite the requirement that the state comptroller be elected by secret ballot.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">The vote was halted and restarted, after which Rabello defeated Elron 61-57.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">A series of petitions followed, including those from Yesh Atid and the Movement for Quality Government in Israel. The petitioners argued that documenting votes turned the secret ballot into a loyalty test and could have prevented MKs from voting freely.<\/p>\n<p>Eisenkot: The current government will &#8216;dismantle the foundations of democracy&#8217;<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">The tensions also come amid the government\u2019s escalating rift with the judiciary.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">On Sunday, the government unanimously approved a proposal declaring it will not comply with a High Court of Justice ruling regarding the Second Authority Council, following petitions arguing that appointments to its membership were political.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Such a rejection of a High Court ruling marked a first in which the government openly defied such an order and could lead to a constitutional crisis if the government does not accept the Second Authority Council\u2019s decisions, thereby going against the High Court.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Levin and Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi had issued the government proposal.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Opposition party leaders in the bloc seeking to replace Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the upcoming elections condemned Levin\u2019s statements regarding the state comptroller revote, warning that they could cause severe democratic harm.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Yashar Party leader Gadi Eisenkot said that Levin led the Judaical reform \u201cat the cost of tearing Israeli society apart while Netanyahu hid behind him, and is one of the leading contributors to the lowest point in the State of Israel\u2019s history. \u201c<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cHe is an enemy of Israeli democracy.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cNetanyahu and his government continue to dismantle the foundations of democracy on the eve of the most consequential elections in Israel\u2019s history,\u201d Eisenkot added.<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">Democrats Party leader Yair Golan said that the justice minister was \u201cbehaving like a common criminal and calling for defiance of a High Court ruling.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cWhy? Because they are terrified that Israel will have a state comptroller who will actually do the job.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"article-paragraph-section article-body-paragraph\">\u201cThey want a puppet on a string, and they are willing to burn the country down, break the law, and create a constitutional crisis in order to appoint one,\u201d Golan added.<\/p>\n<p>Sarah Ben-Nun contributed to this report.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Justice Minister Yariv Levin on Wednesday called on the government to disobey a High Court of Justice ruling&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":196849,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[33],"tags":[41,14666,37,4028,16705,29580,29010,12213],"class_list":["post-196848","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-israel","tag-benjamin-netanyahu","tag-high-court-of-justice","tag-israel","tag-knesset","tag-likud","tag-michael-rabello","tag-state-comptroller","tag-yariv-levin"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116885929726367783","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/196848","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=196848"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/196848\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/196849"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=196848"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=196848"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=196848"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}