{"id":202047,"date":"2026-07-12T03:00:07","date_gmt":"2026-07-12T03:00:07","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/202047\/"},"modified":"2026-07-12T03:00:07","modified_gmt":"2026-07-12T03:00:07","slug":"iran-made-a-poor-choice-now-they-pay-hegseth-issues-stern-warning-after-us-strikes-on-tehran-firstpost","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/202047\/","title":{"rendered":"&#8216;Iran made a poor choice. Now they pay&#8217;: Hegseth issues stern warning after US strikes on Tehran \u2013 Firstpost"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Reacting to the US\u2019s latest strikes on Iran, US Secretary of State Pete Hegseth said that Iran is paying the price. The remarks from US President Donald Trump\u2019s top official came right after the United States unleashed a third wave of strikes against India.<\/p>\n<p>The American defence secretary took to X, formerly known as Twitter and shared the account by the US Central Command (Centcom). \u201cIran made a poor choice. Now they pay,\u201d he wrote in the post. It is pertinent to note that the fresh strikes from the US against Iran came right after the West Asian nation\u2019s IRGC Navy said it attacked a container that was exiting the Strait of Hormuz through an unauthorised route and ignored its warnings.<\/p>\n<p>STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD<\/p>\n<p lang=\"en\" dir=\"ltr\">Iran made a poor choice. Now they pay. <a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/8m4fEfgrXv\" rel=\"nofollow\">https:\/\/t.co\/8m4fEfgrXv<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\u2014 Pete Hegseth (@PeteHegseth) <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/PeteHegseth\/status\/2076091042693071025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">July 11, 2026<\/a><\/p>\n<p>In a separate statement on the matter, Centcom noted that the operation marked the third round of US strikes against Iran this week, carried out after Iran allegedly attacked a commercial vessel transiting the Strait of Hormuz. The American military said that the strikes began at 7:15 pm (local time) after IRGC \u201cblatantly attacked&#8221; the Cyprus-flagged container ship M\/V GFS Galaxy.<\/p>\n<p>US unleashes its wrath<\/p>\n<p>In the statement, Centcom noted that the vessel attacked by Iran suffered an onboard fire and sustained significant damage in the engine room. They also maintained that a civilian crew member is missing, leaving the ship unable to continue its journey.<\/p>\n<p>According to the US military, Iran had been given \u201cyet another opportunity&#8221; to demonstrate compliance with the Memorandum of Understanding after earlier attacks on commercial shipping but \u201chas again failed.&#8221; \u201cIn response, the United States is imposing a heavy cost by continuing to degrade Iran\u2019s ability to attack civilian mariners and commercial ships freely transiting the strait,&#8221; Centcom said.<\/p>\n<p>The statement added that the strikes were being carried out \u201cat the direction of the Commander in Chief.&#8221; Shortly after the American strikes, Iran announced that the Strait of Hormuz is closed again. Iran said a warning shot fired by its military struck a vessel travelling through what it described as an unauthorised route in the strategically important waterway.<\/p>\n<p>STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD<\/p>\n<p>Tehran stated that the crucial waterway would remain closed \u201cuntil further notice&#8221; and warned it could target \u201cadditional enemy bases in the region&#8221; if it came under further attack. Meanwhile, the Iranian state media reported explosions in Bandar Abbas and Sirik, two towns along the Strait of Hormuz, after the US operation began.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Reacting to the US\u2019s latest strikes on Iran, US Secretary of State Pete Hegseth said that Iran is&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":202048,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[4],"tags":[141,39434,8801,10057,34,3336,4114,1109,424,11494,772,59411,722,101,6754,69,2174,858,75,343,860,1080],"class_list":["post-202047","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-tehran","tag-centcom","tag-centcom-iran","tag-defense-secretary-pete-hegseth","tag-donald-trump-iran","tag-iran","tag-iran-ship-attack","tag-iran-strait-of-hormuz","tag-iran-us-conflict","tag-irgc","tag-military-strikes","tag-pete-hegseth","tag-pete-hegseth-x-post","tag-president-trump","tag-strait-of-hormuz","tag-strait-of-hormuz-news","tag-tehran","tag-u-s-central-command","tag-u-s-military","tag-us-central-command","tag-us-military","tag-us-strikes-iran","tag-us-iran-conflict"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116904776322837430","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/202047","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=202047"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/202047\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/202048"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=202047"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=202047"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=202047"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}