{"id":213136,"date":"2026-07-19T07:48:16","date_gmt":"2026-07-19T07:48:16","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/213136\/"},"modified":"2026-07-19T07:48:16","modified_gmt":"2026-07-19T07:48:16","slug":"us-launches-8th-night-of-strikes-on-iran-to-punish-irgc-for-deadly-jordan-attack","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/213136\/","title":{"rendered":"US launches 8th night of strikes on Iran to &#8216;punish&#8217; IRGC for deadly Jordan attack"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The United States on Sunday said it had completed an eighth straight night of strikes against Iran, saying they were intended to \u201cpunish\u201d Iran\u2019s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps for a deadly strike that killed two US military personnel<a href=\"https:\/\/www.timesofisrael.com\/iranian-strike-kills-2-us-troops-in-jordan-as-tehran-vows-unforgettable-lessons\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">\u00a0in Jordan<\/a> and left another missing.<\/p>\n<p>Amid the spiraling conflict in the region, the US issued an alert to its citizens across the globe, warning they could be targeted by Iran and its allies.<\/p>\n<p>US Central Command said in a statement that the airstrikes began at 6 p.m. ET (2200 GMT) on Saturday, at the direction of US President Donald Trump.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe strikes are designed to further degrade Iran\u2019s ability to threaten commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz and swiftly punish Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps forces who launched attacks against American service members in Jordan last night,\u201d the command said.<\/p>\n<p>CENTCOM did not provide any details on the retaliatory strike against IRGC forces or its results.<\/p>\n<p>\n\t\t\tGet The Times of Israel&#8217;s Daily Edition<br \/>\n\t\t\tby email and never miss our top stories\n\t\t<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\tBy signing up, you agree to the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.timesofisrael.com\/terms\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">terms<\/a><\/p>\n<p>But it said that airstrikes \u201csuccessfully hit Iranian military coastal surveillance and air defense facilities, maritime capabilities, and missile and drone storage sites to continue degrading Iranian military capabilities.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Iran\u2019s Mehr news agency said the US carried out an attack near Sirik in southern Iran, adding that no casualties or damage to infrastructure have been reported.<\/p>\n<p>A location near Hajiabad, in the same province, was also targeted, and explosions were heard in Bandar Abbas, according to state-run IRNA.<\/p>\n<p>An area near Qeshm Island, inside the strait, was also targeted, according to Iran\u2019s IRIB broadcaster.<\/p>\n<p>Iran targets US bases in Kuwait, drone hits near Erbil<\/p>\n<p>The Iranian army then carried out a drone attack that targeted US military assets and equipment at Kuwait\u2019s Al-Adiri camp and Ali Al Salem Air Base, Iran\u2019s state TV reported early Sunday, citing a statement from the army.<\/p>\n<p>Both bases were targeted as part of Iran\u2019s attacks against US assets and allies in the Gulf since last week.<\/p>\n<p>In neighboring Iraq, a base of the Kurdistan Freedom Party, an Iranian Kurdish dissident group, near Erbil was also struck by a drone early Sunday, wounding eight of its members, Rebaz Sharifi, a military official with the group, said.<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/afp.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3863711\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/afp-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tRebaz Sharifi, a unit commander in the armed wing of the Kurdish-Iranian opposition group Kurdistan Freedom Party (PAK), checks a small engine at a military base attacked by Iranian drones on the outskirts of Erbil, Iraq, March 11, 2026 (AP Photo\/Leo Correa)<\/p>\n<p>Residents of Erbil itself also heard explosions from air defenses.<\/p>\n<p>No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but in the past, both Iran and Iran-backed Iraqi militias have launched attacks in the semi-autonomous Kurdish region, where both US troops and armed Kurdish Iranian dissident groups are present.<\/p>\n<p>After avoiding attacks on UAE, Iran issues threat<\/p>\n<p>Nearly every Gulf Arab state has been targeted by Iran for retaliatory strikes, with a missile alert sounding Saturday in Saudi Arabia. However, the United Arab Emirates has yet to be targeted.<\/p>\n<p>The semiofficial Iranian news agency Fars, believed to be close to the Guard, issued a threat Saturday to the UAE.<\/p>\n<p>Quoting an anonymous official, Fars said continued strikes on Iranian civilian infrastructure would mean that the \u201cairports of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, as well as the ports of Fujairah and Jebel Ali, must be immediately evacuated.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26064501689283.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3863709\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26064501689283-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tIllustrative: Passengers arrive at Dubai International Airport terminal as the airport resumes limited operations amid a US-Iran ceasefire, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, March 5, 2026 (AP Photo\/Altaf Qadri)<\/p>\n<p>Apparently responding to the threat, the Emirates\u2019 Foreign Ministry issued a statement calling \u201cfor exercising the utmost restraint in order to avoid dangerous repercussions, and the region being pulled into new levels of violence and instability.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe UAE emphasized that the targeting of civilian infrastructure and civilian facilities in the region\u2026 constitute a flagrant and grave violation of the established principles and provisions of international law, and cannot, under any circumstances, be accepted or justified,\u201d the statement added.<\/p>\n<p>US: Iran-backed groups could target Americans abroad<\/p>\n<p>The US State Department, meanwhile, issued a Worldwide Caution alert for US citizens overnight Saturday, \u201cdue to heightened tensions in the Middle East.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>It urged US citizens worldwide, and \u201cespecially in the Middle East,\u201d to \u201cfollow the guidance in security alerts issued by the nearest US embassy or consulate.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cFlight cancellations and periodic airspace closures may cause travel disruptions. US diplomatic facilities, including outside the Middle East, have been targeted,\u201d it said, without offering further details.<\/p>\n<p>It warned that \u201cgroups supportive of Iran may target other US interests overseas or locations associated with the United States\u201d around the world.<\/p>\n<p>The US had already issued a travel warning for the Middle East in light of the escalated fighting with Iran, and the US Embassy in Jerusalem warned Americans to avoid traveling to northern Israel, Gaza, and the Egyptian border.<\/p>\n<p lang=\"en\" dir=\"ltr\">Worldwide Caution: Due to heightened tensions in the Middle East, the security environment remains complex with the potential for unforeseen escalation.\u202fWe remind Americans in the region of the continued need for caution and encourage them to monitor the news for breaking\u2026 <a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/A3LKEQSRiO\" rel=\"nofollow\">pic.twitter.com\/A3LKEQSRiO<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\u2014 TravelGov (@TravelGov) <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/TravelGov\/status\/2078567441089593444?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">July 18, 2026<\/a><\/p>\n<p>The US and Israel together launched a campaign against Iran on February 28 to degrade the regime\u2019s military capabilities, distance threats posed by the country \u2014 including its nuclear and ballistic missile programs \u2014 and \u201ccreate the conditions\u201d for the Iranian people to topple the regime, the military and other Israeli leaders have said.\n<\/p>\n<p>Israel respected the US-Iran ceasefire that began April 8, and the government, while not included in the process of negotiating the US-Iran memorandum of understanding signed last month, did not object it even though it purported to bind both the US \u201cand its allies.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Iran has refrained from attacking Israel amid the latest tit-for-tat fighting.<\/p>\n<p>&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tWe can&#8217;t do this work alone.\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<img width=\"200\" height=\"200\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/06\/Untitled-design-4-200x200.jpg\" class=\"attachment-square size-square wp-post-image\" alt=\"\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" title=\"\"\/>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>The war with Iran has been draining for all of us in Israel. But when I heard about a high casualty incident \u2013 ballistic missile impacts in Arad and Dimona that left nearly 200 people wounded \u2013 I drank a cup of coffee, packed a bag, and headed south.<\/p>\n<p>There, I spoke with Shilgit, the head of an after-school program for underprivileged youth. Standing outside her destroyed center, Shilgit said it was a miracle that no children were hurt and spoke about the community coming together in the hours since.<\/p>\n<p>As a Times of Israel reporter, I\u2019m committed to telling stories of resilience like Shilgit\u2019s. But my colleagues and I can&#8217;t do this alone. If you value work like this, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. Your financial support is essential to keep real human reporting like this going.<\/p>\n<p>\u2014 Stav Levaton, military reporter<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-up?utm_source=article&amp;utm_medium=module&amp;utm_campaign=resilience&amp;utm_term=stav&amp;utm_source=website&amp;utm_medium=article_end&amp;utm_content=BDFCFF\" class=\"crm-post-module__btn crm-post-module__btn-desktop\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tYes, I&#8217;ll join\t\t\t<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-up?utm_source=article&amp;utm_medium=module&amp;utm_campaign=resilience&amp;utm_term=stav&amp;utm_source=website&amp;utm_medium=article_end&amp;utm_content=BDFCFF\" class=\"crm-post-module__btn crm-post-module__btn-mobile\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tYes, I&#8217;ll join\t\t\t<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a class=\"crm_under_btn_link\" target=\"_blank\" href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-in?RedirectTo=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.timesofisrael.com%2Fus-launches-8th-night-of-strikes-on-iran-to-punish-irgc-for-deadly-jordan-attack%2F\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\">Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this<\/a><\/p>\n<p>&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tYou&#8217;re a dedicated reader\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<img width=\"200\" height=\"200\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/334x334-200x200.png\" class=\"attachment-square size-square wp-post-image\" alt=\"\" decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" title=\"\"\/>\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p class=\"crm-article-popup__counter-wrap\" style=\"display:none\">&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\t\t\tWe\u2019re really pleased that you\u2019ve read  X Times of Israel articles in the past month.&#13;\n\t\t\t\t\t<\/p>\n<p>That\u2019s why we started the Times of Israel &#8211; to provide discerning readers like you with must-read coverage of Israel and the Jewish world.<\/p>\n<p>So now we have a request. Unlike other news outlets, we haven\u2019t put up a paywall. But as the journalism we do is costly, we invite readers for whom The Times of Israel has become important to help support our work by joining The Times of Israel Community.<\/p>\n<p>For as little as $6 a month you can help support our quality journalism while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.<\/p>\n<p>Thank you, <br \/>David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-up?utm_campaign=dedicated&amp;utm_source=website&amp;utm_medium=article_end_counter&amp;utm_content=1964F6\" class=\"crm-post-module__btn crm-post-module__btn-desktop\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tJoin Our Community\t\t\t<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-up?utm_campaign=dedicated&amp;utm_source=website&amp;utm_medium=article_end_counter&amp;utm_content=1964F6\" class=\"crm-post-module__btn crm-post-module__btn-mobile\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">&#13;<br \/>\n\t\t\t\tJoin Our Community\t\t\t<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t<a class=\"crm_under_btn_link\" target=\"_blank\" href=\"https:\/\/crm.timesofisrael.com\/sign-in?RedirectTo=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.timesofisrael.com%2Fus-launches-8th-night-of-strikes-on-iran-to-punish-irgc-for-deadly-jordan-attack%2F\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\">Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this<\/a><br \/>\n\t\t<script async src=\"https:\/\/platform.twitter.com\/widgets.js\" charset=\"utf-8\"><\/script><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The United States on Sunday said it had completed an eighth straight night of strikes against Iran, saying&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":213137,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[3],"tags":[27587,34,16376,654,35,2526,32121,343],"class_list":["post-213136","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-iran","tag-2026-us-israel-war-with-iran","tag-iran","tag-islamic-revolutionary-guard-corps-irgc","tag-jordan","tag-kuwait","tag-uae-united-arab-emirates","tag-us-central-command-centcom","tag-us-military"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116945545338233639","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/213136","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=213136"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/213136\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/213137"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=213136"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=213136"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=213136"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}