{"id":214535,"date":"2026-07-20T08:28:15","date_gmt":"2026-07-20T08:28:15","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/214535\/"},"modified":"2026-07-20T08:28:15","modified_gmt":"2026-07-20T08:28:15","slug":"us-strikes-iran-for-9th-night-confirms-american-servicemember-killed-in-iraq","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/214535\/","title":{"rendered":"US strikes Iran for 9th night, confirms American servicemember killed in Iraq"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>US forces struck Iran for a ninth consecutive day on Monday as the number of confirmed American military deaths in the renewed fighting rose to three, and concerns grew over shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which the Trump administration accused the Islamic Republic of seeking to control \u201cas leverage against the world.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>In a statement, US Central Command said the strikes were aimed at \u201cdegrading\u201d Iran\u2019s ability to attack commercial vessels in the strait\u2019s vital shipping lanes, targeting military command centers, air defense and coastal surveillance sites, maritime capabilities, missile and drone launch sites, and communications networks.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe US military is holding Iran accountable at the commander in chief\u2019s direction,\u201d said Central Command. \u201cCENTCOM forces remain highly vigilant, focused, lethal, and ready.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Iran\u2019s semi-official Tasnim news agency, citing its own reporters, said US missiles struck several Iranian cities early Monday, with explosions heard in Tabriz, Chabahar, Konarak, Bandar Mahshahr and Bandar Imam Khomeini. State media reported that strikes also hit several locations in Iran\u2019s southern port city of Bushehr, home to the country\u2019s only civilian nuclear plant.<\/p>\n<p>Announcing the latest casualties in the war, the US military said on Sunday that a servicemember was killed on Saturday in northern Iraq, where the US has military bases, \u201cduring a controlled detonation\u201d of a downed Iranian attack drone.<\/p>\n<p>\n\t\t\tGet The Times of Israel&#8217;s Daily Edition<br \/>\n\t\t\tby email and never miss our top stories\n\t\t<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\tBy signing up, you agree to the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.timesofisrael.com\/terms\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">terms<\/a><\/p>\n<p>Earlier in the weekend, the US military said two of its service personnel died in Jordan and that a third was missing in action. On Sunday, Central Command said in a statement that \u201cunidentified remains\u201d had been found at the site of Friday\u2019s attack and that \u201can examination process to verify the remains is ongoing.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>The casualty announcements brought the total number of US military personnel killed since the war began to 17, with more than 420 others wounded.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe hit them very hard again tonight, and we did that in honor of the, probably three, it\u2019s probably three great patriots,\u201d Trump told reporters amid the latest strikes as he returned to Washington following the World Cup final.<\/p>\n<p>Trump said \u201cwe feel very badly,\u201d when asked about the military fatalities, adding that those who died were fighting so that \u201cIran cannot have a nuclear weapon.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26201027012979.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3864252\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26201027012979-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tUS President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he exits Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, after attending the World Cup final soccer match, July 19, 2026. (AP Photo\/Jacquelyn Martin)<\/p>\n<p>Iran\u2019s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, meanwhile, claimed early Monday that it had hit and disabled two oil tankers trying to transit the Strait of Hormuz.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cLate last night, two non-compliant oil tankers\u2026 attempted to enter and exit through what was described as the unsafe and hazardous southern route of the Strait of Hormuz, exploded and were brought to a halt,\u201d the Guards says in a statement, according to the Tasnim news agency.<\/p>\n<p>The statement gave no details on the vessels\u2019 names, flags, crews or any casualties.<\/p>\n<p>The Guards said the waterway would remain unsafe as long as what it called US \u201caggression\u201d in the region continued, warning that \u201cthis passage will not be safe for the transit of petrochemical products, nor even a single drop of oil and gas.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Four vessels made the transit through Hormuz on Sunday, down from eight the previous day, LSEG data showed. At least three oil products tankers and one Very Large Crude Carrier have entered the strait since Friday to load oil, according to the data.<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AFP__20260712__B9Y76G4__v1__HighRes__UaeIranUsIsraelWar.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3859809\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AFP__20260712__B9Y76G4__v1__HighRes__UaeIranUsIsraelWar-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tThis frame grab taken from AFPTV video footage on July 12, 2026, shows a cargo ship anchoring near the Strait of Hormuz off the eastern coast of the United Arab Emirates at Khor Fakkan. (AFPTV\/AFP)<\/p>\n<p>The IRGC also announced an overnight surprise attack on \u201cthe enemy\u2019s special operations headquarters in Syria\u2019s Al-Tanf area,\u201d as well as against Bahrain and Kuwait, the latter of which said it was \u201cengaging hostile drone attacks following Iranian aggression.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>The Guards said that in Kuwait, a US early-warning radar system was \u201ccompletely destroyed,\u201d and that Iranian forces \u201cstruck an equipment and aircraft parts warehouse and an MQ-9 drone hangar at Ali Al Salem Air Base, setting several drones on fire.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>Additionally, the IRGC said it targeted US military aircraft stationed at Aqaba Airport in southern Jordan.<\/p>\n<p>American heavy transport aircraft and command and control aircraft \u201cwere targeted with ballistic missiles, causing severe damage to a number of them,\u201d the IRGC said in a statement carried by Iran\u2019s state broadcaster.<\/p>\n<p>Iran had also targeted Aqaba the day before in an attack that risked widening the conflict into Israel, which <a href=\"https:\/\/www.timesofisrael.com\/idf-fires-interceptors-over-eilat-as-iranian-missiles-target-nearby-aqaba-in-jordan\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">launched interceptors<\/a> to down fragments from Iranian missiles.<\/p>\n<p>Israel readying \u2018immediate and strategic operational options\u2019<\/p>\n<p>During the recent exchanges of fire, now in their second week, Iran has focused attacks on US-allied Arab states rather than Israel, which launched the war with the United States on February 28.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe are prepared to immediately resume combat,\u201d said IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir.<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/1d885ce8-d5e4-42fd-9dff-9eb5cb38d211-e1784477343610.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3864050\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/1d885ce8-d5e4-42fd-9dff-9eb5cb38d211-e1784477343610-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tIDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir (center) is seen with his office manager, Lt. Col. Tomer Sayag (left) and Central Command chief Maj. Gen. Avi Bluth at the Judea and Samaria Division headquarters near Beit El in the West Bank, July 19, 2026. (Israel Defense Forces)<\/p>\n<p>Step by step, the US and Iran have returned closer to all-out war as last month\u2019s interim deal meant to permanently end the fighting has crumbled and shipping traffic in the Strait of Hormuz has largely stalled.<\/p>\n<p>A senior Israeli official told Channel 12 news on Sunday that Israel was preparing for the possibility of joining an expanded US military campaign against Iran, after the security establishment assessed at high-level government discussions that the likelihood of a significant escalation in the near future had greatly risen.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWe are in continuous dialogue with the Americans, but one thing is a fact: Trump is unpredictable,\u201d the official told the network. \u201cAt the moment, it appears that [the US seeks] to step up the intensity of American strikes in Iran.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>However, the official noted that senior Trump envoys, primarily Steve Witkoff, as well as mediator Qatar, were continuing to try to bring the sides back to negotiations.<\/p>\n<p>In light of that, Israel was \u201cpreparing for every possibility and building immediate and strategic operational options,\u201d the official added, saying, \u201cIf the Americans decide to escalate or involve Israel, or if the Iranians carry out an unexpected and unwise move against us, we will be ready.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>The Haaretz daily also reported that Middle East diplomats were preparing for a possible escalation, with a regional source joking to the newspaper on Saturday: \u201cTomorrow is the World Cup final; the day after tomorrow is the Middle East final.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\t<a href=\"https:\/\/static-cdn.toi-media.com\/www\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26200681217399-e1784504968940.jpg\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"size-large wp-image-3864215\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/AP26200681217399-e1784504968940-640x400.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"600\" height=\"375\"\/><\/a><br \/>\n\t\tVehicles drive past a monument depicting the clenched fist of the late Iranian supreme leader ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed at the start of the US-Israel war with Iran, in Islamic Revolution Square in Tehran, July 19, 2026. (AP Photo\/Vahid Salemi)<\/p>\n<p>According to Haaretz, Iran is concerned that American strikes are a preparation for a ground operation to seize control of the Strait of Hormuz \u2014 though a Western source that spoke to the newspaper was skeptical that this would happen.<\/p>\n<p>The report said mediators are still trying to de-escalate, with US Vice President JD Vance sending a message to Tehran via Pakistan that failed to quell the exchanges of fire.<\/p>\n<p>Diplomats told Haaretz that Iraqi Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi, fresh off a trip to Washington, is expected to deliver another message to Iran from the US, with a visit expected on July 23.<\/p>\n<p>Diplomatic sources also assessed to the Hebrew daily that the United Arab Emirates, which was targeted more than any other country in the early weeks of the war, has now reached understandings with Iran, though it\u2019s largely stopped its mediation efforts, and that Bahrain is now the Arab state taking the most hardline position against the Islamic Republic.<\/p>\n<p>\u2018Other countries need to step up\u2019<\/p>\n<p>Concerns about the flow of energy supplies through the Strait of Hormuz have persisted since a fragile truce between Iran and the United States broke down over a week ago following attacks by Iran on ships in the Strait of Hormuz, the critical international waterway through which a fifth of the global oil and gas supply transited prior to the war.<\/p>\n<p>The Royal Navy\u2019s United Kingdom Maritime Operations Centre said late Sunday that it received a report that a vessel was on fire not far from the Omani coast, although it had not verified a cause.<\/p>\n<p>Oil prices jumped 3% on Monday, with Brent crude futures surpassing $90 a barrel, the highest level since June 11.<\/p>\n<p lang=\"en\" dir=\"ltr\">UKMTO WARNING 092-26<\/p>\n<p>Click here to view the full product.\u2935\ufe0f<a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/JZo2iz2Fau\" rel=\"nofollow\">https:\/\/t.co\/JZo2iz2Fau<\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/hashtag\/MaritimeSecurity?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">#MaritimeSecurity<\/a> <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/hashtag\/MarSec?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">#MarSec<\/a> <a href=\"https:\/\/t.co\/udoONPF2ce\" rel=\"nofollow\">pic.twitter.com\/udoONPF2ce<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\u2014 UKMTO Operations Centre (@UK_MTO) <a href=\"https:\/\/x.com\/UK_MTO\/status\/2078992855616352767?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw\" rel=\"nofollow\">July 19, 2026<\/a><\/p>\n<p>\u201cIt\u2019s clear that Iran, at least some people in Iran, want to control the straits and hold that as leverage against the world,\u201d US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters ahead of traveling to the Philippines for a meeting of foreign ministers with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).\n<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThe United States will do and continue to do what it needs to, to protect global shipping, but other countries need to begin to step up and provide, whether it\u2019s hardware or finances, to help carry that burden,\u201d he continued.<\/p>\n<p>When asked if there was still a diplomatic off-ramp to the escalating conflict, Rubio said: \u201cI think we\u2019re always open to diplomacy. It has to be real. It has to be a deal that they\u2019re willing to live by.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThey can\u2019t have an MOU that\u2019s alive if they\u2019re violating the terms of it,\u201d Rubio said.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cWhat I will say is that the United States always remains open to a diplomatic solution. We\u2019ve tried multiple times with Iran, and we\u2019ll continue to try.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\t\t\t\t<script async src=\"https:\/\/platform.twitter.com\/widgets.js\" charset=\"utf-8\"><\/script><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"US forces struck Iran for a ninth consecutive day on Monday as the number of confirmed American military&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":214536,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[14],"tags":[51760,27587,38,94,210,101,32121,343],"class_list":["post-214535","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-iraq","tag-2026-us-iran-memorandum-of-understanding","tag-2026-us-israel-war-with-iran","tag-donald-trump","tag-iraq","tag-marco-rubio","tag-strait-of-hormuz","tag-us-central-command-centcom","tag-us-military"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@iran\/116951365140708787","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/214535","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=214535"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/214535\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/214536"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=214535"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=214535"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=214535"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}