{"id":254367,"date":"2026-08-18T12:41:09","date_gmt":"2026-08-18T12:41:09","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/254367\/"},"modified":"2026-08-18T12:41:09","modified_gmt":"2026-08-18T12:41:09","slug":"tehran-plans-to-maintain-its-grip-on-strait-of-hormuz-until-u-s-meets-irans-conditions","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/254367\/","title":{"rendered":"Tehran plans to maintain its grip on Strait of Hormuz until U.S. meets Iran\u2019s conditions"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><a style=\"display:block\" href=\"https:\/\/www.theglobeandmail.com\/resizer\/v2\/YU57FDWTBFD25OZ3KYNFSDS26Q.JPG?auth=1fc9b0840f8a07c9f1b10603737d5be3bdb466e6d3a85945e3675c6024b7d353&amp;width=600&amp;height=400&amp;quality=80&amp;smart=true\" aria-haspopup=\"true\" data-photo-viewer-index=\"0\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Open this photo in gallery:<\/a><\/p>\n<p class=\"figcap-text\">Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, Monday.Stringer\/Reuters<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">A projectile hit a ship as it sailed out of the Strait of Hormuz early Tuesday, according to the British military\u2019s UK Maritime Trade Operations centre, and an Iranian official said the waterway would not be reopened until the United States meets Iran\u2019s conditions.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">There was no immediate claim of responsibility but the attack highlights the danger of attempting to transit the strait as Iran throttles shipping traffic, even as it finalizes negotiations with Oman on a plan to manage the passage that\u2019s critical to global supplies of oil and natural gas.<\/p>\n<p>A casualty is reported after a ship is hit in the strait<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">An unidentified projectile damaged the ship\u2019s engine room and \u201cresulted in a crew casualty\u201d off the coast of Oman, the UKMTO said, citing a report from the company\u2019s security office.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The maritime monitoring agency did not release any details about the ship or its cargo, and it was not clear whether the crew member was killed or wounded. It said the Omani Coast Guard was assisting other crew members and authorities were investigating.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">There has been growing concern about oil spilling into the Persian Gulf and other area waters from vessels damaged as they attempted to transit the strait. The UKMTO said no environmental damage had been reported in the latest attack.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Iran effectively closed the strait \u2013 through which roughly one-fifth of the world\u2019s traded oil supplies passed before the war \u2013 after Israel and the U.S. attacked the country on Feb. 28.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The U.S. is currently blockading Iranian shipping traffic through the strait.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text mv-16 l-inset text-pb-8\" data-sophi-feature=\"interstitial\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.theglobeandmail.com\/world\/article-iran-us-tensions-strait-of-hormuz\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Iran vows to escalate tensions in Hormuz and wider region as U.S. rules out extending temporary ceasefire<\/a><\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Iran\u2019s parliamentary speaker and negotiator in previous talks with the U.S., Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, reiterated Tuesday that Tehran plans to maintain its grip on shipping traffic until Washington meet Iran\u2019s conditions.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">\u201cUntil the United States fulfills its commitments under the agreement, including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen assets, lifting oil sanctions, ending threats and military operations on all fronts, and implementing the other conditions to which it committed, the Strait of Hormuz will not reopen,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">With negotiations between the U.S. and Iran stalled, Iran has been holding separate talks with Oman on a plan to manage ships transiting the strait, and said Monday it was finalizing details for a joint statement.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">U.S. President Donald Trump reacted angrily, reportedly telling Fox News reporter Trey Yingst in a telephone interview that the U.S. would bomb Oman if it \u201cgets in the way.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Following a meeting between Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and Omani counterpart Badr al-Busaidi, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that the Iranian-Omani deal could pave the way for Washington and Tehran to return to negotiations for a \u201ccomprehensive and permanent deal that addresses all concerns and enhances regional security and stability.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The statement did not address Trump\u2019s latest threat against Oman.<\/p>\n<p><a style=\"display:block\" href=\"https:\/\/www.theglobeandmail.com\/resizer\/v2\/KJUSXWJQVVDMTMSSJTJ2MRQYBM.JPG?auth=9c53167693c278b560918b7b67ec2616ccc21c51378b6cfd5b0938fff70c57c3&amp;width=600&amp;height=400&amp;quality=80&amp;smart=true\" aria-haspopup=\"true\" data-photo-viewer-index=\"1\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Open this photo in gallery:<\/a><\/p>\n<p class=\"figcap-text\">Foreign and Yemeni seafarers protest against Houthi attacks on vessels in the Bab el-Mandab Strait and along Yemen&#8217;s Red Sea coast in Mokha, Yemen, Monday.Abdulnasser Alseddik\/The Associated Press<\/p>\n<p>Iran-backed Houthis claim an attack on a Saudi oil refinery<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Yemen\u2019s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed they fired drones at an oil refinery in neighbouring Saudi Arabia, the latest attack threatening to reignite Yemen\u2019s civil war and open another front in the Middle East.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The attack targeted a facility run by Saudi Aramco, Saudi Arabia\u2019s state-owned oil company, according to a report by the Houthi-run SABA news agency. There were no immediate reports of damage or comment from Saudi Arabia.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The Houthis have escalated attacks against government forces in Yemen and oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, which supports the Yemeni government, and the kingdom\u2019s shipping in the Red Sea, an important alternative to the Strait of Hormuz.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">At least 17 Yemeni civilian deaths have been reported in government-controlled areas in Yemen as a result of rebel attacks since Aug. 6, while two casualties were reported in Houthi-controlled areas in late July, the United Nations said Monday.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The attacks included a Houthi missile strike on an internally displaced persons camp in Ma\u2019rib province and an Aug. 11 attack on a cargo ship in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, which killed four crew members and injured several others.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text mv-16 l-inset text-pb-8\" data-sophi-feature=\"interstitial\"><a href=\"https:\/\/www.theglobeandmail.com\/world\/article-us-iran-peace-deal-60-day-deadline-expires\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Where the U.S.-Iran peace deal stands as a 60-day deadline expires<\/a><\/p>\n<p>Turkey urges Trump to seek a diplomatic solution to the war<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Trump in a telephone call to continue to seek a diplomatic solution to the conflict with Iran.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">The call came late Monday as the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the United States and Iran was expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were at the start.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">\u201cPresident Erdogan said it is important to make maximum use of diplomacy amid tensions between Iran and the United States,\u201d according to a statement from the Turkish presidential communications office.<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Turkey, a NATO member that borders Iran, earlier this month signed a joint defence agreement with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, which stipulates \u201cthat any armed attack against any one of the three states shall be regarded as an attack against them all.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Trump has praised the agreement, saying that \u201cit shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way.\u201d<\/p>\n<p class=\"c-article-body__text text-pr-5\">Erdogan told Trump the deal reflected \u201ca strong stance to ensure regional stability and security.\u201d<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Open this photo in gallery: Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, Monday.Stringer\/Reuters A&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":254368,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[4],"tags":[950,936,951,158,928,952,949,927,942,943,939,929,926,147,948,703,941,934,963,930,931,394,34,937,938,674,953,345,958,959,961,956,960,954,957,932,945,946,81,944,955,935,947,69,462,940,933,82,962],"class_list":["post-254367","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-tehran","tag-alberta","tag-arts-news","tag-bc","tag-breaking-news","tag-breaking-news-video","tag-british-columbia","tag-canada","tag-canada-news","tag-canada-sports","tag-canada-sports-news","tag-canada-trafficcanada-weather","tag-canadian-breaking-news","tag-canadian-news","tag-economy","tag-education","tag-environment","tag-federal-government","tag-foreign-news","tag-globe-and-mail","tag-globe-and-mail-breaking-news","tag-globe-and-mail-canada-news","tag-government","tag-iran","tag-life-news","tag-lifestyle","tag-local-news","tag-manitoba","tag-national-news","tag-new-brunswick","tag-newfoundland-and-labrador","tag-northwest-territories","tag-nova-scotia","tag-nunavut","tag-ontario","tag-pei","tag-photos","tag-political-news","tag-political-opinion","tag-politics","tag-politics-news","tag-quebec","tag-sports-news","tag-technology","tag-tehran","tag-travel","tag-trudeau","tag-us-news","tag-world-news","tag-yukon"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"","error":"Validation failed: Text character limit of 500 exceeded"},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/254367","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=254367"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/254367\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/254368"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=254367"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=254367"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/iran\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=254367"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}