A man drove a car into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, four of them seriously, Mayor Massimo Mezzetti said.
The motive for the incident remains unclear, Mezzetti said in a video message, adding he was “deeply shaken” by what he described as a “mad incident.”
The attack occurred in the afternoon in Modena’s historic centre, where the vehicle sped into a street in the old town. According to the mayor, the driver deliberately mounted the pavement at high speed and struck a group of pedestrians.
The suspect then attempted to flee, leaving the car while holding a knife, several witnesses reported.
Bystanders pursued the man and managed to overpower him. “They showed great courage; they have my thanks,” Mezzetti said.
Security camera footage showed the small car hitting several people, with some thrown into the air.
One woman was pressed against a shop window at the end of the car’s path and suffered severe injuries, including the amputation of both legs, according to local media.
The suspect is a man in his 30s who was born in the northern Italian city of Bergamo and grew up in the Modena area, reports said. He has been detained and is to be questioned by police.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described the incident as “extremely serious” and expressed solidarity with the injured and their families, while thanking citizens who stopped the man. She said the suspect must be held accountable.
According to media reports, the man had previously received psychiatric treatment, holds a degree in economics and has no prior criminal record.
Mezzetti said further details about the background of the incident would be provided later.

Police officers stand at the scene after a car incident in a street of Modena. A man drove a car into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring eight people, four of them seriously, the mayor said. (zu dpa: «Car ploughs into crowd in Italy’s Modena, injuring eight») -/LaPresse via ZUMA Press/dpa