Eight people were injured, four critical, after a driver struck pedestrians in the Italian city of Modena before being stopped by passers-by
A driver reported to have a history of mental health conditions sped into pedestrians and cyclists in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, leaving eight people injured.
Security camera footage aired by Italian media showed the vehicle speeding through a crowded city centre street before crashing into a shop window.
City prefect Fabrizia Triolo said the driver, an Italian man of Moroccan heritage, struck several people before colliding head-on with a woman.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS ADSuspect detained after attempting to flee
After the crash, the driver attempted to escape but was chased by four passers-by who managed to corner him, authorities said.
During the confrontation, he pulled out a knife and injured one of the men pursuing him.
Eight people, including a German national and a Polish citizen, were taken to hospital, with four reported to be in serious condition. Authorities said one victim had both legs amputated.
Authorities cite mental health history
According to Triolo, the suspect was born in 1995, held a degree in economics and was not previously known to police.
She said he experienced a period of “psychological disturbance” in 2022. “He had been treated at a mental health centre for schizoid disorders, but we lost track of him after that initial period of observation in a care facility,” Triolo said.
The prefect added that the driver was not under the influence of “psychotropic substances”. Police have searched his home near Modena.
Witness recounts horror
Emilia-Romagna regional president Michele de Pascale described the incident as an “extremely serious act”, while urging caution until investigators establish the motive. “It is important to understand its nature and motive – let us wait for more information,” he said.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni also described the attack as “extremely serious” in a post on X.
“I would also like to express my thanks to the citizens who courageously intervened to detain the perpetrator, as well as to the law enforcement officers for their response,” Meloni wrote.
Luca Signorelli, one of the bystanders who helped stop the suspect, told Italian television channels he “heard impacts and saw people being run over”. “The car came at me and I managed to throw myself to the ground,” he said.
“The car was smoking, I opened the door, and he got away; four or five of us ran after him … He pulled out a knife, hit me in the head, and gave another blow to my heart that I managed to avoid.”
STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD
Modena mayor Massimo Mezzetti praised the actions of those who intervened during the incident. He thanked “those citizens who showed courage and civic duty”.
“We need to understand what’s behind this act. But it was a dramatic event,” he added.
First Published:
May 17, 2026, 07:39 IST
HomeWorldEight injured after driver with mental health history ploughs into pedestrians in Italy’s ModenaEnd of Article