Kenya, April 22, 2026 – President William Ruto has issued a pointed warning to Kenyans living abroad over what he described as a surge in misinformation on social media, cautioning that distorted narratives risk obscuring the country’s progress and fuelling misguided political perceptions.

Addressing members of the diaspora in Rome, the Head of State spoke with unusual directness about the influence of digital platforms, stating: “If you go to social media today, you’ll think there is nothing good happening in Kenya. I ask you not to rely on social media for news about home.” 

He observed that much of the content circulating online is “deliberate misinformation aimed at achieving political and selfish ends.”

The remarks come against the backdrop of sustained criticism of his administration, with the President using the occasion to reaffirm his focus on long-term national transformation rather than electoral expediency. 

“My focus is not about the next General Election. I am focused on transforming Kenya,” Ruto declared, presenting himself as a leader prepared to take difficult decisions in pursuit of structural change.

Central to his defence was the claim that Kenya has successfully navigated a precarious economic moment.

 “Many people predicted that six countries in Africa would default on debt. Out of the six, five defaulted. Kenya did not,” he said, attributing this outcome to fiscal discipline and tough policy choices. 

The assertion seeks to reinforce the government’s narrative that austerity measures, while unpopular, have shielded the country from a deeper financial crisis.

The President also highlighted what he characterised as significant strides in social policy.

 On healthcare, he noted: “As we speak, 30.6 million Kenyans have registered with SHA in the past 18 months compared to eight million in the 60 years of the defunct National Health Insurance Fund.” 

He further revealed that the scheme would disburse KSh13 billion to hospitals for services rendered in March 2026, adding that this figure matches what the former system collected over half a year.

In housing, the administration’s flagship programme was presented as both an economic and social intervention. 

The construction of nearly 270,000 units across more than 200 sites, he said, has generated hundreds of thousands of jobs while offering renewed hope to families previously locked out of home ownership.

Turning to agriculture, William Ruto credited subsidised fertiliser and sectoral reforms with boosting productivity and restoring farmer confidence. He pointed to a sharp rise in maize output—from 44 million bags in 2022 to 70 million in 2025—as evidence that the country has overcome its long-standing reliance on imports.

 “We’ve restored law and order in the coffee, tea and sugar cane sectors by eliminating cartels who had frustrated farmers,” he said, adding that increased commodity prices now reflect a more equitable system.

On sugar production, the President struck an optimistic tone, noting a rise from 500,000 tonnes to 815,000 tonnes within three years. 

“In a couple of years, Kenya will be a net exporter of sugar,” he asserted, framing the leasing of public factories and improved payment structures as pivotal reforms.

Meanwhile, the President assured Kenyans abroad that their concerns remain firmly on the government’s agenda. 

He described the creation of the State Department of Diaspora Affairs as a “deliberate resolve” to address longstanding challenges, while also pointing to expanded labour agreements with countries including Germany, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.

He reported that 540,000 Kenyans have secured employment abroad under government-facilitated programmes, alongside a crackdown on rogue recruitment agencies that has seen more than 600 firms deregistered.