{"id":30944,"date":"2026-07-09T12:51:16","date_gmt":"2026-07-09T12:51:16","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/30944\/"},"modified":"2026-07-09T12:51:16","modified_gmt":"2026-07-09T12:51:16","slug":"italy-expels-two-russian-diplomats-accused-of-spying","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/30944\/","title":{"rendered":"Italy expels two Russian diplomats accused of spying"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>  <img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/07\/c1_6149507.jpg\" width=\"640\" height=\"360\"\/><br \/>\n  Italian foreign minister Antonio Tajani condemned what he called &#8216;serious and unacceptable acts of interference&#8217; by Moscow. (Photo: AFP)<\/p>\n<p>ROME \u2014 Italy on Thursday ordered the expulsion of two Russian military attaches accused of spying, with its foreign minister condemning &#8220;serious and unacceptable acts of interference&#8221; by Moscow.<\/p>\n<p>The expulsions came two days after police announced the arrest of two former Italian intelligence agents who media reports said gave Russia secrets on military aid to Ukraine.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;The Italian government has decided to expel two military attaches from the embassy of the Russian Federation in Italy, involved in espionage activities uncovered by the Rome public prosecutor\u2019s office,&#8221; Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani wrote on X, formerly Twitter.<\/p>\n<p>The minister named the Russians as Ivan Petrovich Gorbachev and Mikhail Vasilyevich Astakhov and said they had been ordered to leave within three days.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;Moscow continues to use hybrid warfare to attack the West and Italy &#8212; acts of interference that are serious and unacceptable to Italian institutions and national security,&#8221; Tajani commented.<\/p>\n<p>Rome police said on Tuesday that one of the detained Italians, a 59-year-old former agent, had been paid by a Russian handler and &#8220;disclosed to him information of interest through six sources &#8212; including four serving military personnel assigned to posts marked by a high level of confidentiality.&#8221;<\/p>\n<p>Media reports said the Italians had handed over information on an Italian-French air defence system, the SAMP\/T, and Aster missiles that were to be provided to Ukraine this year to be tested.<\/p>\n<p>Russian handlers had also sought details on a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) mission in Bulgaria and the Italian company Avio that makes motors for drones and supersonic missiles.<\/p>\n<p>Corriere della Sera newspaper said the 59-year-old also provided the identities of Italian counter-espionage agents who were meant to monitor the Russians.<\/p>\n<p>Quoting a recording of the suspect&#8217;s telephone conversations, La Stampa newspaper said the man gave &#8220;thousands&#8221; of items of information over a 12-year period.<\/p>\n<p>A lawyer for the former Italian spy denied there had been any treason, asserting that the man, who was to be formally questioned on Friday, had only gathered publicly available information.<\/p>\n<p>Italy&#8217;s Defence Minister Guido Crosetto said on Tuesday that the case was &#8220;just the tip of the iceberg&#8221; in Russia&#8217;s so-called &#8220;hybrid war&#8221; in Europe as it pursues its invasion of Ukraine.<\/p>\n<p>No details have been made public on the identity or accusations against the second Italian agent in the case.<\/p>\n<p>In 2024, an Italian court jailed a navy captain caught selling classified documents to the Russian embassy three years earlier. Italy expelled two Russian officials then and Moscow expelled an Italian diplomat in retaliation.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Italian foreign minister Antonio Tajani condemned what he called &#8216;serious and unacceptable acts of interference&#8217; by Moscow. (Photo:&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":30945,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[1188,16141,16143,16140,5,36,16142,3864,7179,3863,243],"class_list":["post-30944","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-italy","tag-breaking-news","tag-daily-news","tag-global-news","tag-inkl","tag-italy","tag-news","tag-news-app","tag-news-headlines","tag-news-today","tag-today-news","tag-world-news"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/30944","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=30944"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/30944\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/30945"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=30944"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=30944"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=30944"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}