{"id":40437,"date":"2026-08-16T10:19:07","date_gmt":"2026-08-16T10:19:07","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/40437\/"},"modified":"2026-08-16T10:19:07","modified_gmt":"2026-08-16T10:19:07","slug":"italy-facing-scrutiny-over-police-force-against-migrants-calls-morocco-source-of-migration-problem","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/40437\/","title":{"rendered":"Italy, Facing Scrutiny Over Police Force Against Migrants, Calls Morocco Source of Migration Problem"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Rabat \u2013 Italian Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio Tajani claimed Spain should \u201cworry about Morocco,\u201d alleging that\u2019s where \u201cproblems are coming from.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>He made his <a target=\"_blank\" href=\"https:\/\/roma.corriere.it\/notizie\/politica\/26_agosto_15\/antonio-tajani-intervista-migranti-b6857c2b-8bc4-4090-a50d-6df9e87aexlk.shtml\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\">remarks<\/a> in an interview with Corriere Della Sera, in which he spoke about a recent political row with Spain.<\/p>\n<p>Asked about Italy\u2019s temporary suspension of Schengen toward Spain, the Italian official said his country is not waging \u201cany kind of battle against Spain,\u201d claiming his government is monitoring migrant arrivals.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cSpain should worry about Morocco: That\u2019s where the problems are coming from, certainly not from our controls, which serve everyone\u2019s purpose of preventing illegal immigrants, and worse, potential terrorists from reaching Europe,\u201d he said in the interview.<\/p>\n<p>His remarks appear to come in line with the ongoing anti-Morocco rhetoric, blaming Morocco, the North African kingdom, for the recent mass crossings in Ceuta.<\/p>\n<p>One of the largest crossings took place on July 30, when tens of thousands of migrants swam to the Spanish-occupied enclave.<\/p>\n<p>Spanish authorities shared different and contradictory numbers since the crossing, with some\u2014including authorities\u2014alleging that between 70,000 and 80,000 entered the enclave.<\/p>\n<p>Moroccan official estimates said 40,000 people headed to Ceuta, while more than 1,000 attempted to cross to Melilla.<\/p>\n<p>Tajani\u2019s remarks come as Morocco continues to strengthen its border controls and respond to calls for new mass crossings amid a lack of limited funds from Europe.<\/p>\n<p>Earlier this week, Morocco tightened its border control and responded to a small number of migrants who sought to cross the enclave in response to a social media campaign inciting a new crossing on August 15.<\/p>\n<p>Morocco arrested at least 290 migrants, including sub-Saharan migrants, who attempted to cross to the enclave.<\/p>\n<p>Tajani\u2019s comments also mark anti-Moroccan rhetoric despite Morocco\u2019s repeated appeals for a shared responsibility to contain irregular migration and cooperate with European authorities.<\/p>\n<p>While Spain\u2019s government acknowledged Morocco\u2019s efforts, other politicians from the cabinet itself and parties on the far right and main opposition attempted to lecture Rabat despite their limited efforts to help tackle the issue of migration.<\/p>\n<p>Some directly blamed Morocco for the influx of July 30, while others accused it of attempting to blackmail.<\/p>\n<p>Morocco, however, strongly responded to the campaign targeting its efforts, emphasizing that the issue of migration should be addressed with responsibility from all parties and not one specific party.<\/p>\n<p>It also emphasized its role as a contributor to tackling the issue and that it should not be regarded as Europe\u2019s guard or concierge.<\/p>\n<p>In response to accusations and complaints, Morocco\u2019s Ministry of Interior called on Spanish authorities to assume their responsibilities and work to speed up the procedures for returning unaccompanied minors.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cCombating irregular migration and human trafficking networks cannot rely on the efforts of one party alone. Rather, it requires all parties to assume their responsibilities and fulfill their commitments within the framework of shared responsibility,\u201d the ministry said through its spokesperson earlier this month.<\/p>\n<p>Morocco also emphasized that it will continue to fulfill its duties with firmness and responsibility, ensuring that tackling migration is not only limited to a specific date.<\/p>\n<p>Italy\u2019s Paradox<\/p>\n<p>Tajani\u2019s attempts to lecture Morocco come as his country is under scrutiny and has been using the Ceuta migration to overshadow one of the heartbreaking cases in Italian history.<\/p>\n<p>On July 19, two police officers used physical brutality to restrain a <a target=\"_blank\" href=\"https:\/\/www.moroccoworldnews.com\/2026\/07\/331207\/italian-media-shift-focus-to-fakirs-psychiatric-referral-amid-killing-investigation\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\">Moroccan<\/a> man called Abderrahim Fakir, who suffocated to death.<\/p>\n<p>A video documented the moment when the two police officers knelt him down with his face on the ground while they were also pinning his feet and pressing his chest on the floor for several minutes while he was pleading with them to stop and for help.<\/p>\n<p>The killing of Fakir took place in front of witnesses, particularly four medical workers who stared at the police without taking action until he lost consciousness.<\/p>\n<p>Reports said Fakir also had his lungs full of blood, and an autopsy was carried out to investigate the cause of death, while the investigation is also involving police body cam.<\/p>\n<p>Despite the horrific scene, the two police officers came back to work amid the investigation, while politicians, including those from the government, backed the police force against migrants.<\/p>\n<p>Right-wing Italian Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini has <a target=\"_blank\" href=\"https:\/\/www.moroccoworldnews.com\/2026\/07\/330511\/italys-deputy-pm-sparks-backlash-for-backing-officers-in-abderrahim-fakir-killing\/\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\">sparked<\/a> backlash for remarks that overlooked a viral video documenting police brutality and a fatal intervention against Fakir.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cI stand by the two police officers in Bologna and the four emergency medical workers from the 118 ambulance service. And, of course, I also stand with the victim\u2019s family, whom I urge not to speak of revenge,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p>He added that he hopes the judiciary clarifies what happened as soon as possible to \u201cprevent mud from being thrown by people who do not understand what occurred and who have no respect for those who risk their lives to protect ours. Clearly, nobody wanted anyone to die,\u201d he claimed.<\/p>\n<p>He also accused Fakir of \u201cbehaving violently and causing a disturbance,\u201d stating that the neighborhood where he was killed is home to \u201cmany decent people who are tired of living alongside those who make their lives difficult.\u201d<\/p>\n<p>\u00a0<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Rabat \u2013 Italian Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio Tajani claimed Spain should \u201cworry about Morocco,\u201d alleging that\u2019s where \u201cproblems&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":40438,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[24701,5,26559],"class_list":["post-40437","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-italy","tag-ceuta","tag-italy","tag-spain-and-morocco"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/40437","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=40437"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/40437\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/40438"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=40437"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=40437"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/italy\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=40437"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}