Kim Jong Un, wearing a black collared shirt, rests his elbow on a table and holds a pair of binoculars to his eyes, while a military officer in dress uniform stands behind him.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un observes a missile launch in this undated photo from the state-run Korean Central News Agency. (KCNA)

North Korea launched a ballistic missile early Wednesday that flew about 430 miles off its eastern coast before falling outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone, according to South Korean and Japanese defense officials.

South Korea’s military detected the launch from the Wonsan area at about 6 a.m., the Ministry of National Defense said in a text message to reporters that morning.

The missile reached a maximum altitude of about 56 miles before landing in the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, west of Hokkaido, according to a statement from Japan’s Ministry of Defense.

No damage has been reported, according to the Japanese ministry.

South Korean and U.S. military officials were analyzing the missile’s specifications, while intelligence agencies from both countries tracked activity related to the launch and shared information with Japan, South Korea’s ministry said.

Japan also said it was coordinating closely with the United States and South Korea on analysis and surveillance.

Japanese Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi condemned the launch and said Tokyo had lodged a strong protest with Pyongyang.

The country’s repeated ballistic missile launches “threaten the peace and safety of Japan, the region, and the international community,” he said during a press conference in Tokyo.

He said Japan would continue working closely with Washington and Seoul on information gathering, analysis and monitoring.

The launch comes less than a week after the North’s first ballistic-missile test since April 19. Last week’s weapon, fired Thursday from the Wonson area, also landed outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

Both launches come ahead of Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of two major annual exercises conducted by U.S. and South Korean forces. The drills are slated to kick off Monday and run through Aug. 27.