{"id":126694,"date":"2026-08-20T16:23:10","date_gmt":"2026-08-20T16:23:10","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/126694\/"},"modified":"2026-08-20T16:23:10","modified_gmt":"2026-08-20T16:23:10","slug":"trump-confirms-kim-summit-this-year-reveals-57-n-korean-nukes-as-seoul-cuts-drills-short","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/126694\/","title":{"rendered":"Trump Confirms Kim Summit This Year, Reveals 57 N. Korean Nukes as Seoul Cuts Drills Short"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The joint announcement by South Korea&#8217;s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon spokesman that the 11-day exercise would be cut nearly in half came Wednesday afternoon Seoul time, formalizing the operational consequences of a directive Trump had issued on Truth Social the previous Sunday, hours before the drills were set to begin. At the suggestion of the United States, the allies agreed to adjust both the duration and scope of the exercise, the JCS said, with the second phase \u2014 which had been expected to involve counterattack operations following an initial defensive phase \u2014 canceled entirely. Some combined field maneuver training was also scaled back, though the Pentagon declined to specify which elements had been cut or converted to simulations, citing operational security. &#8220;The Department has substantially reduced Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield while continuing training that enhances tactical capability,&#8221; a Pentagon spokesman said, adding that the changes preserved essential readiness and training aims and that U.S. training objectives had not been degraded \u2014 a characterization that Seoul&#8217;s defense community received with visible skepticism.<\/p>\n<p>The same day the early termination was announced, Trump told reporters at the White House that he plans to meet Kim Jong Un later this year, and disclosed that North Korea currently possesses 57 nuclear weapons \u2014 an unusually specific public figure that marked the first time a sitting U.S. president had put an exact number on Pyongyang&#8217;s arsenal. &#8220;He has 57 very powerful nuclear weapons,&#8221; Trump said. &#8220;He&#8217;s gonna be fine. I know Kim Jong Un very well, and he&#8217;s gonna be fine. As long as we have a smart president, he is going to be fine.&#8221; Asked whether he is exchanging communications with Kim, Trump declined to confirm or deny it. When asked whether his goal remains North Korea&#8217;s denuclearization, he did not answer directly. Public assessments of North Korea&#8217;s nuclear stockpile have generally placed the figure between 50 and 90 assembled warheads, with the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute estimating roughly 60 as of early 2026; South Korea&#8217;s Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back told a parliamentary defense committee Wednesday that Seoul&#8217;s own estimate puts the figure between 80 and 120, though he said he could not be more specific publicly because Seoul does not formally recognize North Korea as a nuclear-armed state. Ahn declined to comment on Trump&#8217;s figure directly.<\/p>\n<p>Trump&#8217;s anticipated path to meeting Kim runs through Asia. The Wall Street Journal had reported that Trump has been pressing aides to arrange an in-person meeting as soon as this autumn, with discussions focused on a potential encounter during his expected November trip to Shenzhen, China, where the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit is scheduled. The White House did not respond to requests for comment on the timeline. The exercise reduction, analysts said, is widely understood in that context \u2014 as a goodwill signal toward Pyongyang intended to revive the personal diplomacy that stalled after a second Trump-Kim summit collapsed in Hanoi in 2019.<\/p>\n<p>The signal, however, failed to produce the response Trump appeared to be seeking. Kim Yo Jong, the North Korean leader&#8217;s sister and one of the most influential figures in the Pyongyang regime, issued a statement through state media Wednesday dismissing the exercise reduction with pointed indifference. &#8220;We think it&#8217;s not worth making comments on that and we have no interest in it at all,&#8221; she said. &#8220;The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won&#8217;t change even though their duration and size were reduced.&#8221; In a separate line that drew particular attention, Kim Yo Jong said she was &#8220;not aware at all&#8221; of Trump&#8217;s claim that he was in communication with her brother \u2014 adding, with careful diplomatic ambiguity, that it was &#8220;perhaps the only thing I do not know as regards the foreign policy of our supreme leadership.&#8221; She did note that Kim Jong Un retains good personal memories of Trump and that relations between the two leaders &#8220;remain excellent,&#8221; a formulation analysts read as preserving space for future engagement while refusing to reward the exercise reduction with any immediate concession. Her statement did not carry North Korea&#8217;s typically harsh anti-American rhetoric \u2014 itself a signal, some analysts suggested, of a regime trying to manage the relationship with Trump without appearing to have been moved by his gesture.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" class=\"mapping-embed imgPhoto\" id=\"i1005602\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/trump-speaks-white-house-august.jpg\" alt=\"Trump Speaks at White House in August\" width=\"736\" height=\"491\"\/><\/p>\n<p>President Donald Trump takes questions from reporters at the White House on Aug. 10, 2026. On Aug. 19, Trump told reporters he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year and disclosed for the first time that Pyongyang possesses 57 nuclear weapons \u2014 a figure South Korea&#8217;s defense minister said falls short of Seoul&#8217;s own estimate of 80 to 120.<\/p>\n<p>The exercise reduction and its fallout have generated a parallel crisis of confidence within the alliance itself. South Korea&#8217;s Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing Wednesday that neither Seoul nor U.S. officials had any advance knowledge of Trump&#8217;s order before it appeared on Truth Social Sunday afternoon. &#8220;Consequently, we were not notified beforehand,&#8221; Cho said \u2014 a disclosure that underscored how abruptly and unilaterally the directive had been issued, and how little the alliance&#8217;s established consultation mechanisms had functioned in this instance. Defense Minister Ahn separately pushed back against one of Trump&#8217;s stated justifications for the reduction, calling the characterization that South Korea had refused to participate in U.S. military operations related to Iran &#8220;not consistent with the facts.&#8221; South Korea is bound by the 1953 Mutual Defense Treaty, which commits both parties to respond to armed attacks in the Pacific; it carries no obligation for Seoul to participate in U.S. military campaigns in the Middle East. The insertion of the Iran issue as a condition for alliance behavior represented a transactional framing of mutual defense commitments that Seoul&#8217;s political establishment, across party lines, found difficult to accept without challenge.<\/p>\n<p>President Lee Jae Myung had moved the day before \u2014 Tuesday \u2014 to establish the strategic frame in which his government would navigate the disruption. In an emergency session of the Ulchi National Security Council followed by a full Cabinet meeting, Lee announced that his government would accelerate two of South Korea&#8217;s most strategically sensitive defense programs: the conditions-based transfer of wartime operational control from Washington to Seoul, and the acquisition of nuclear-powered attack submarines. &#8220;A strong alliance makes the foundation of security stronger, and strengthening our own capabilities increases our value and necessity as an ally,&#8221; he said, framing self-reliance not as a departure from the Washington partnership but as a complement to it \u2014 a formulation calibrated to avoid direct confrontation with Trump while establishing a clear strategic direction regardless of what Washington does next. He set the OPCON transfer as a target for completion within his term, which runs through 2030, and instructed defense officials to accelerate submarine acquisition in parallel. On the exercise itself, Lee said it should not simply repeat past iterations but should reflect the changing nature of modern warfare and become a more practical preparedness assessment \u2014 language that allowed Seoul to publicly embrace the exercise&#8217;s modernization rationale without directly challenging Trump&#8217;s authority to modify it.<\/p>\n<p>The OPCON context gives the exercise reduction a significance that extends well beyond this year&#8217;s training calendar. Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026 had been designed, among other objectives, to advance the conditions-based transfer process that Seoul has long sought and that Lee has made a centerpiece of his administration&#8217;s defense agenda. Specifically, the allies had planned to use the exercise to assess agreed capabilities and systems supporting the future Combined Forces Command&#8217;s full operational capability \u2014 a certification milestone required before any transition timeline can be formally set. The early termination, and the cancellation of the exercise&#8217;s second phase, has made completing that assessment this year considerably less certain. South Korea retook peacetime operational control of its military in 1994, but wartime command has remained with a U.S. four-star general leading the Combined Forces Command for more than seven decades. Lee&#8217;s public commitment to completing the transfer by 2030 \u2014 the strongest statement of urgency from a sitting South Korean president on the issue in years \u2014 came directly in the context of an American president having demonstrated his willingness to restructure the alliance&#8217;s operational foundations with 24 hours&#8217; notice and no prior consultation.<\/p>\n<p>The nuclear-powered submarine program Lee accelerated Tuesday has its own diplomatic history. Trump approved South Korea&#8217;s plan at their bilateral summit on the sidelines of the APEC meeting in Gyeongju last October, with a joint fact sheet committing Washington to work closely with Seoul on requirements for the project, including fuel sourcing. Seoul released a road map in May for launching its first domestically built nuclear-powered submarine in the mid-2030s. Any uranium enrichment for the vessels would still require Washington&#8217;s consent under the bilateral nuclear cooperation agreement \u2014 a dependency that underscores the structural limits of the self-reliance Lee is seeking to accelerate, even as the political impetus for doing so has rarely been stronger.<\/p>\n<p>The broader strategic environment in which all of this is unfolding adds layers of complexity that neither the exercise reduction nor the diplomatic signaling fully address. North Korea conducted its 11th ballistic missile test of 2026 on August 12, firing a midrange missile from the Wonsan area that flew more than 700 kilometers into the sea east of the peninsula \u2014 the second such test in less than a week, following a short-range launch on August 6 that broke a 48-day pause in testing activities. The exercises Trump has now cut were specifically redesigned this year to incorporate lessons from North Korea&#8217;s battlefield deployment in Ukraine, where Pyongyang&#8217;s troops have accumulated combat experience that U.S. and South Korean commanders had cited as a central justification for increasing the drills&#8217; complexity. Kim&#8217;s position has also changed materially since the 2018 to 2019 diplomatic round: he has secured deeper military cooperation with Russia, gained a battlefield-tested military, and moved further from the prospect of meaningful denuclearization negotiations. Kim Yo Jong&#8217;s statement Wednesday made clear that Pyongyang&#8217;s price for engagement \u2014 if it has one \u2014 is higher than a shortened exercise.<\/p>\n<p><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" class=\"mapping-embed imgPhoto\" id=\"i1005604\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/lee-jae-myung-addresses-liberation-day-ceremony.jpg\" alt=\"Lee Jae Myung Addresses Liberation Day Ceremony\" width=\"736\" height=\"491\"\/><\/p>\n<p>FILE \u2014 South Korean President Lee Jae Myung speaks at a ceremony marking the 81st anniversary of Korean Liberation Day in Seoul on Aug. 15, 2026. Days later, Lee used an emergency Cabinet session to accelerate South Korea&#8217;s wartime operational control transfer and nuclear-powered submarine programs in direct response to President Trump&#8217;s order to cut Ulchi Freedom Shield.<\/p>\n<p>The geopolitical dimension extends beyond the peninsula. China, which shares a border with North Korea and has long viewed the U.S. military presence in South Korea as a source of regional tension, is likely to regard any reduction in exercise scope as favorable. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi was in Seoul on Wednesday and Thursday for regional security talks that included Korean Peninsula developments \u2014 a visit that coincided, with striking timing, with the formal announcement of the exercise reduction. Japan, which hosts roughly 54,000 U.S. troops and whose security calculus depends heavily on the credibility of American alliance commitments in Northeast Asia, was watching events on the peninsula with deep unease; any perception that Washington can unilaterally downgrade its South Korea obligations without meaningful pushback raises precisely parallel anxieties in Tokyo about the durability of the U.S.-Japan security treaty.<\/p>\n<p>The USS George Washington, Japan-based, has been ordered to the Middle East to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln \u2014 a redeployment that has left the Pacific without a carrier strike group at a moment when U.S. military attention remains concentrated on the ongoing war with Iran and the Strait of Hormuz standoff. That structural strain on U.S. forces, which defense analysts have been tracking for months, provides the material backdrop against which Trump&#8217;s exercise reduction lands: not as a single isolated decision but as one element of a broader pattern of Indo-Pacific retrenchment whose cumulative effect on deterrence and alliance credibility is beginning to register in the defense ministries of allies who are, quietly and with increasing urgency, building the capacity to operate with less American support than the existing architecture assumed.<\/p>\n<p>Lee is scheduled to meet Trump at the White House on August 25, a summit that now arrives in a substantially more fraught atmosphere than either government had anticipated when the date was set. The exercise&#8217;s abrupt curtailment, the foreign minister&#8217;s public disclosure of Seoul&#8217;s lack of advance warning, and the questions left unanswered about OPCON assessment and denuclearization will all be present in the room. Whether the exercise reduction ultimately proves to be leverage for that conversation, a signal to Kim ahead of renewed personal diplomacy, a genuine expression of Trump&#8217;s frustration over Iran, or some combination of all three has not been clarified by the White House. What has become clear since Sunday is that the decisions taken in the days around Ulchi Freedom Shield 2026 \u2014 by Trump, by Lee, and now, with characteristic ambiguity, by Kim Yo Jong \u2014 have materially changed the terms on which the United States and South Korea approach their alliance, in ways whose full consequences will take considerably longer than the five days of remaining exercises to fully measure.<\/p>\n<p>Originally published on <a href=\"https:\/\/www.hngn.com\/articles\/272791\/20260819\/south-korea-pushes-retake-war-command-trumps-exercise-cut-leaves-pentagon-silent.htm\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">HNGN<\/a><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"The joint announcement by South Korea&#8217;s Joint Chiefs of Staff and a Pentagon spokesman that the 11-day exercise&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":126695,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[74,141,2371,171,146,2447,11286,33,57101],"class_list":["post-126694","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-korea","tag-donald-trump","tag-kim-jong-un","tag-kim-yo-jong","tag-korean","tag-lee-jae-myung","tag-nuclear-weapons","tag-opcon-transfer","tag-south-korea","tag-ulchi-freedom-shield"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/126694","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=126694"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/126694\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/126695"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=126694"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=126694"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/korea\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=126694"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}