
File Photo
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned of possible waves of Russian drone attacks throughout Wednesday, saying that more than a hundred drones were in Ukraine’s airspace, as Moscow has shifted tactics to strike increasingly during daylight hours.
“Russia continues its strikes and is doing so brazenly – deliberately targeting our railway infrastructure and civilian sites in our cities,” Zelenskyy said in a post on X.
Since the beginning of the war more than four years ago, Russia has mainly carried out major drone and missile strikes at night. In recent weeks, however, it has repeatedly sent hundreds of drones and missiles during the daytime.
It set a record for the number of weapons used in one such strike on March 24. Attacks during the day are more disruptive of civilian life.
“It is important to repel every attack with resilience. It is important to support Ukraine and not remain silent about Russia’s war,” Zelenskyy added.
Ukraine’s air force reported that Russia attacked the country with 139 drones since 6 pm (1500 GMT) on Tuesday, of which 111 were downed or neutralised.
Moscow denies intentionally targeting civilians but has killed thousands of them during the war, and says strikes on civil infrastructure are legitimate if they degrade Ukraine’s warfighting capabilities. Kyiv has lately intensified long-range attacks on Russia’s energy industry, though on a smaller scale.

More from International

Trump says he does not need China’s help to end Iran war
US President Donald Trump has stated that he does not think he will need China’s help to end the war with Iran, even as hopes for a lasting peace deal dwindled and Tehran tightened its grip over the Strait of Hormuz.

India’s Modi cuts size of his motorcade to save fuel, source says
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has “significantly” cut the size of his motorcade to save fuel, a government source said on Wednesday, days after he urged citizens to tighten their belts amid a surge in energy prices triggered by the Iran war.

Series of tremors near Tehran renew concerns over major quake risk
A series of nine small earthquakes struck the Pardis area east of Tehran overnight, Mehr news agency reported on Wednesday, renewing fears among experts and residents that the Iranian capital could face a major seismic disaster.

10 islanders flown to UK for precautionary isolation after hantavirus outbreak
Britain will bring back 10 people from remote island territories, including cruise ship passengers and medical staff who had contact with confirmed cases in the hantavirus outbreak, for precautionary isolation.

US war in Iran has cost $29 billion so far, Pentagon says
The United States’ war in Iran has cost $29 billion so far, a senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday, an increase of $4 billion from an estimate provided late last month.