Six people dead in ‘ongoing’ Russian strikes on Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

Just as the leaders are talking in Bucharest, Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy took to social media to post an update saying that at least six people were reported dead after Russian attacks on Ukraine today.

“At least 800 Russian drones have already been launched, and the attack is ongoing, with additional drones entering our country’s airspace,” he said.

He suggested that Russia seeks to “disrupt the overall political atmosphere” as it times its attacks for the duration of US president Donald Trump’s visit to China.

“It is important that the world does not remain silent about this. It is important that Russia’s true intentions are made clear to leaders and countries. It is important to apply real pressure on the Russian aggressor so that this terror is brought to an end.”

Share

Key events

17h ago

Closing summary

18h ago

Slovakia closes border crossing with Ukraine amid warnings of further Russian strikes

18h ago

Six people dead in ‘ongoing’ Russian strikes on Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

18h ago

For talks with Russia, ‘Putin has to play ball and he is not playing,’ Nato’s Rutte says

18h ago

‘We cannot let down our guard,’ as Russia remains ‘most significant, direct threat to Nato,’ Rutte says

18h ago

Nato’s Hague targets are not ceiling, but ‘minimum’ needed, Poland’s Nawrocki says

19h ago

Leaders brief press after Bucharest Nine meeting on security, Nato

20h ago

First photos of stranded cruise ship in Bordeaux

21h ago

Majority of passengers on board of cruise ship stuck in Bordeaux are British, operator confirms

21h ago

Operator confirms number of guests, crew in Bordeaux ‘displaying symptoms’ of gastrointestinal illness

22h ago

1,700 people reported confined on cruise ship in Bordeaux after suspected norovirus death

22h ago

Romania reeling over claims of high-level justice system corruption

23h ago

Zelenskyy arrives in Romania to join B9 summit on security

23h ago

Russia launches combined airstrike on critical facilities in Ukraine, hours after Zelenskyy’s warning, Ukraine says

24h ago

Israel goes through to Eurovision’s final despite boos, attempted disruptions

1d ago

Russia’s aggression on Ukraine ‘not an isolated conflict,’ but Russia’s ‘direct challenge,’ Poland’s Nawrocki says

1d ago

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy warns against Russian drones attack during day

1d ago

Morning opening: What to do about Russia

Show key events only

Please turn on JavaScript to use this feature

Closing summaryJakub KrupaJakub Krupa

… and on that note, it’s a wrap for today!

At least six people were killed in an intense daytime Russian attack on Ukraine, with over 800 drones launched against targets in the country, president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said (9:57, 11:47, 16:54).

Neighbouring Slovakia has closed temporarily its border crossings with Ukraine in response to expected further attacks near the border (17:12).

The attack comes as top regional leaders, joined by Zelenskyy, met in Bucharest to discuss the European security, reaffirming their support for Ukraine (16:35, 16:43).

Earlier,

French authorities have confined more than 1,700 passengers and crew members to a cruise ship docked in Bordeaux after a suspected norovirus outbreak, officials have said (13:03).

The cruise ship’s operator confirmed that a number of guests are displaying symptoms, with further testing under way (13:47).

A 92-year-old man died on the ship earlier this week, but the cause of his death is yet to be established (14:13).

If you have any tips, comments or suggestions, email me at jakub.krupa@theguardian.com.

I am also on Bluesky at @jakubkrupa.bsky.social and on X at @jakubkrupa.

Share

Separately, Russia hit Ukraine’s railway facilities 23 times during its drone attacks on Wednesday, damaging trains, carriages, railway depots, and bridges, a senior advisor to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said.

ShareSlovakia closes border crossing with Ukraine amid warnings of further Russian strikes

Meanwhile, the scale of the continuing Russian attacks on Ukraine today is so significant that some of its neighbours had to take precautionary measures, too.

Slovakia has temporarily closed all border crossings with Ukraine until further notice, citing expectations of a large-scale attack on the city of Uzhhorod and the neighboring Zakarpattia region with attacks reported as close as 50 km from the Slovak border.

“The Financial Administration recommends that the public monitor up-to-date information and comply with the instructions of the Financial Administration and Police Force officers. We will keep you informed of further developments,” it said in a statement.

Earlier, Poland briefly bolstered air defence along the Ukrainian border following earlier strikes. The operation ended after several hours with no recorded airspace violations.

Share

Updated at 11.13 EDT

Nato’s Rutte says he is “cautiously optimistic” about the upcoming Nato summit in Ankara as he repeats his “Nato 3.0” theory of Europe taking more responsibility for its own security, allowing the US to pivot to its other interests without abandoning Europe.

He says the focus is on making sure there is no gap in “our deterrence and defence.”

Poland’s Nawrocki and Romania’s Dan essentially toe the same line.

And that ends the press conference.

Share

Reporters are now again fishing for lines on Trump’s relations with its Nato allies, but Rutte stays fully on message, repeating that there’s some “disappointment” in the US, and the European allies are responding to it.

Poland’s Nawrocki was also asked about how the fugitive former minister Zbigniew Ziobro’s decision to move to the US would affect Poland’s relations with the US.

In stark contrast to the government figures, he says he “cannot imagine” how this could affect the relationship with Washington given its importance for Poland’s security and foreign policy.

He also claims that Ziobro, a senior figure in the Law and Justice party that endorsed him in last year’s presidential election, would not get a “fair trial” in Poland.

ShareSix people dead in ‘ongoing’ Russian strikes on Ukraine, Zelenskyy says

Just as the leaders are talking in Bucharest, Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy took to social media to post an update saying that at least six people were reported dead after Russian attacks on Ukraine today.

“At least 800 Russian drones have already been launched, and the attack is ongoing, with additional drones entering our country’s airspace,” he said.

He suggested that Russia seeks to “disrupt the overall political atmosphere” as it times its attacks for the duration of US president Donald Trump’s visit to China.

“It is important that the world does not remain silent about this. It is important that Russia’s true intentions are made clear to leaders and countries. It is important to apply real pressure on the Russian aggressor so that this terror is brought to an end.”

Share

Another question concerns the presence of US troops in Europe amid talk of the White House looking to pull some of them out of the region.

Nato’s Rutte says that “the US presence in Europe is still vast and massive,” and shows “a clear commitment” of the US administration to Europe.

“We have always known that the United States, overtime, has to pivot more towards Asia, what we have to make sure of and the US, the Europeans agree on this, that … the overall level of deterrence and defence stays strong.”

Poland’s Nawrocki says the topic did not come up during the official talks today, but Poland is always ready to welcome more US troops as it continues to campaign for the 5,000 troops pulled out of Germany to be relocated on the eastern flank of Nato.

Romania’s Dan confirms the issue was not on the table today, but all allies are determined to work to maintain substantial US presence in Europe.

ShareFor talks with Russia, ‘Putin has to play ball and he is not playing,’ Nato’s Rutte says

The leaders get asked about the prospects for Ukraine and any potential peace discussions with Russia.

Poland’s Nawrocki goes first and says that supporting Ukraine remains a “strategic” aim of the B9 group, as he notes the importance of Zelenskyy attending the meeting.

He repeatedly says Russia’s Putin is responsible for the war, and calls for a “long-term, just peace settlement.”

Nato’s Rutte says “Putin has to play ball, and at the moment he is not.”

“He has to be willing to play ball to engage, really, in peace negotiations,” he says.

“I must say the ball is clearly in Putin’s court. He has to play ball. He is not doing that yet. Let’s see what happens. And the Ukrainians, in the meantime, are maintaining the fight, doing well on the frontline, but obviously they did not ask for this, and many people have been killed because of Putin in Ukraine.”

Share

Asked about the relations with the US, Rutte concedes that “we know that there was some disappointment in the US when it came to the reaction of some allies regarding Iran and the war against Iran by the US and Israel.”

“But I would say that clearly, allies have heard the message … and that is on two fronts: first, … when it comes to living up to all the commitments to basic requests [from the US] … and then when it comes to the strait of Hormuz, the next phase…”

He says that the Italians, for example, are sending more assets in the area, “so they can be active there when necessary,” with other initiatives taken by other countries, including France and the UK.

“So my message to the United States is: The Europeans hear the message. They are following up. We are really working together on this.”

Share‘We cannot let down our guard,’ as Russia remains ‘most significant, direct threat to Nato,’ Rutte says

Nato’s Rutte says that the meeting showed the group of nine countries is “firmly anchored in Nato and the transatlantic relationship.”

He warns that Russia “remains, indeed, the most significant and direct threat to Nato, as it continues its ruthless war of aggression against Ukraine.”

“We cannot let down our guard. We will always do what is necessary to defend every inch of Nato territory.”

Looking ahead to Nato’s summit in Ankara, Rutte says that “cash is crucial” as countries are urged to increase their spending, but he adds the talks will also be about “combat ready capabilities and significantly scaling up our defence industries.”

Turning to Ukraine, he pays tribute to its continued fight against Russia, as he says “a strong Ukraine today and a strong Ukraine for the future is how Russian aggression can be stopped.”

ShareNato’s Hague targets are not ceiling, but ‘minimum’ needed, Poland’s Nawrocki says

Romania’s Dan opens up by thanking all participants, including the US delegation.

Poland’s president Karol Nawrocki, Romania’s President Nicusor Dan and Nato secretary general Mark Rutte arrive for a press conference during the summit of the Bucharest Nine (B9) and the Nordic countries at the Cotroceni Palace in Bucharest, Romania. Photograph: Mihai Barbu/AFP/Getty Images

He says that allies in this part of Europe have “common concerns and a common threat” from Russia, and need to coordinate.

He also pointedly backs Moldova, raising the issue of supporting Chișinău as it faces pressure from Russia.

Poland’s Nawrocki picks up a broader discussion on defence spending, as he says that the spending targets adopted in the Hague last year “are not the ceiling, but the minimum needed that is necessary.”

He says Russia “is and will remain the most serious, long-term and direct threat to the security of allied countries.”

He warns that Russia wants to “rebuild its spheres of influence, weaken the integrity of Nato … and question the sovereignty and democracy of countries in our region.”

Nawrocki also criticises some European leaders – he doesn’t name them – who in his view “question the alliance between the B9, the EU and the US in a way that is far from any logic.”

“Tearing apart transatlantic relations, breaking up the relations of the European Union and nation states with the United States is in the interest of the Russian Federation. We should all be deeply aware of this,” he warns.

Share

Updated at 10.36 EDT

Leaders brief press after Bucharest Nine meeting on security, Nato

As promised, you can watch along below, and I will bring you the key lines here.

Romanian and Polish presidents deliver joint remarks at Nato Bucharest Nine summit – watch liveRomanian and Polish presidents deliver joint remarks at Nato Bucharest Nine summit – watch liveShare

As we are waiting for the press conference, we can quickly take a look at the summit’s joint statement, signed by the leaders of 14 allies in the central and eastern Europe, the Baltics, and the Nordics.

Leaders of the B9 and Nordic countries as well as Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy and Nato’s Mark Rutte pose for a family photo at the Bucharest Summit of B9 in Bucharest, Romania. Photograph: Robert Ghement/EPA

In particular, they said that Russia’s repeated airspace violations of countries on the eastern flank of Nato underline the urgent need to consolidate the alliance’s air defences against missiles and drones, Reuters reported.

Romania, Poland and Baltic states have had their airspace repeatedly breached by Russian drones. Russia has denied targeting Nato states.

“We condemn Russia’s highly confrontational actions against Allies and partners, including sabotage, cyber-attacks, and a wide range of hybrid attacks and destabilising activities,” the leaders’ joint statement also said.

ShareJakub KrupaJakub Krupa

Back to international politics, we are expecting a press conference after the B9 meeting in Bucharest shortly, with Nato’s secretary general Mark Rutte expected among the speakers.

I will bring you the key lines here.

Share

Meanwhile, Le Figaro reported that the French health authorities confirmed that “there is no reason to link this outbreak on board a cruise ship from Belfast and Liverpool with the hantavirus cases detected on the vessel MV Hondius,” as per the cruise ship operator’s statement earlier (13:47).

ShareFirst photos of stranded cruise ship in Bordeaux

With passengers taking pictures of Bordeaux from the deck, as per our last update, let’s take a look at some pictures taken in the opposite direction…

A man rides his bicycle past the Bahamas-registered cruise ship Ambition after passengers were confined following the outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness onboard, at the Bordeaux port in southwestern France. Photograph: Christophe Archambault/AFP/Getty ImagesPassers-by walk past the Bahamas-registered cruise ship Ambition after passengers were confined following the outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness onboard, at the Bordeaux port in southwestern France. Photograph: Christophe Archambault/AFP/Getty ImagesShare

No security measures were in place around the ship as it was docked in Bordeaux on Wednesday, an AFP reporter said.

Passengers were taking pictures of the French city from the deck.

Share