The bad news keeps coming for President Donald Trump.
Axios is reporting that Trump is pulling the plug on his treasured but wildly controversial $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund.
“It’s dead for now,” a source told Mark Caputo of Axios.
The Justice Department fund was meant to compensate Americans who felt that the federal government had been “weaponized” against them.
Critics were quick to pounce and call the fund a “slush fund” for Trump pals.
Axios reported that House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) spoke with the president at the White House on Monday about GOP opposition to the fund.
Top Republican senators, including Ron Johnson and Thom Tillis, had spoken out against the fund.
“I think it’s stupid on stilts,” Tillis said of the fund last month.
The senator added: “It will invariably put us in a position where your taxpayers’ dollars and my taxpayer dollars could potentially compensate someone who assaulted a police officer, admitted their guilt, got convicted, got pardoned and now we are going to pay them for that. That’s absurd.”
Senate GOP Majority Leader John Thune had also slammed the fund.
MORE BY
TOM WROBLESKI
Surgeon makes ominous claim about Trump’s ‘perfect’ health examJun. 1, 2026, 5:30 p.m.
“Yeah, not a big fan. I’m not sure exactly how they intend to use it. But my understanding is that was just announced,” the Senate majority leader told a group of reporters. “But yeah, I don’t see a purpose for it.”
U.S. District Court Judge Leonie Brinkema on Friday ordered the DOJ to refrain from setting up the fund amid a continuing legal clash over the issue.
The fund news comes amid massive problems with the Trump-backed America 250 concert as well as concerns over the separate UFC event that the president is staging at the White House.
Read the original article on silive.com. Add silive.com as a Preferred Source by clicking here.