{"id":105538,"date":"2026-06-08T19:02:47","date_gmt":"2026-06-08T19:02:47","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/105538\/"},"modified":"2026-06-08T19:02:47","modified_gmt":"2026-06-08T19:02:47","slug":"germany-and-france-drop-joint-fighter-jet-project-german-officials-say","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/105538\/","title":{"rendered":"Germany and France drop joint fighter jet project, German officials say"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">By Andreas Rinke and Tim Hepher<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">BERLIN\/PARIS, June 8 (Reuters) &#8211; The leaders of Germany and France have agreed to scrap a landmark project to develop and build a new-generation fighter jet, two German officials said on Monday, bowing \u200cto industrial rivalries over Europe&#8217;s most ambitious defence programme.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">German Chancellor Friedrich Merz and French President Emmanuel Macron discussed the troubled \u200cproject on the sidelines of the EU-Western Balkans summit in Montenegro last week and concluded there was no prospect of breaking months of deadlock between arms firms \u200binvolved in the plan, the officials said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">Merz has therefore advised Macron not to pursue the construction of a joint fighter aircraft any further, they said.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">The decision to end the core pillar of Europe&#8217;s largest defence project comes at a time when Western military officials have warned of a growing threat from Russia and the United States is stepping up pressure for Europe to re-arm itself.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">There was no immediate word from France, \u200cwhere Macron launched the project with former German \u2060Chancellor Angela Merkel in 2017. His office did not respond to a request for comment but French industry sources conceded the most visible core of the project &#8211; involving a crewed fighter jet &#8211; was over.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">Failure \u2060to reach an agreement on the \u20ac100-billion ($116 billion) project, which also includes Spain, underscores the struggles Europe has faced in rebuilding its military capacity after decades of underinvestment.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">&#8220;It&#8217;s hardly ideal signalling either to Washington or to Moscow,&#8221; said Douglas Barrie, senior fellow for military aerospace at think tank IISS.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">FACE-SAVING SOLUTION<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">The \u200bproject, which \u200bcentres on a core fighter jet supported by drones and linked by \u200ba classified &#8220;combat cloud&#8221;, had been in doubt for months \u200cas the two sides have wrangled over specifications and control.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">A European source briefed on the matter said the two sides were moving towards a face-saving solution in which the systems outside the core fighter, such as the &#8220;combat cloud&#8221; of highly secure links, would continue to be developed under the same name: Future Combat Air System or FCAS.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">The compromise is mainly symbolic since FCAS is a generic name for such systems and not unique to this plan, but officials have been seeking a formula allowing Macron to relinquish the core fighter \u200cwithout having to declare the whole project dead.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">Macron and Merz had tried \u200bfor months to salvage the project and overcome differences between the main industry \u200bpartners, European aerospace group Airbus, which represents Germany and Spain, \u200band France&#8217;s Dassault Aviation.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">As well as disputes over control of the nect phase of development and access to \u200cintellectual property, the two sides had widely differing requirements \u200bfor the aircraft.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">The breakdown over the \u200bcore fighter echoes France&#8217;s decision to withdraw from the Eurofighter in the 1980s and follows years of increasingly public bickering between Dassault and Airbus.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">&#8220;SCAF has been on life support for three years,&#8221; said UK-based defence analyst Francis Tusa, referring to \u200bthe project&#8217;s French acronym.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">Merz has openly questioned whether \u200cdeveloping a manned sixth-generation fighter jet still made sense for his country&#8217;s air force, and said Germany did not \u200bneed a nuclear-capable jet that could land on an aircraft carrier.<\/p>\n<p class=\"yf-1fy9kyt\">(Additional reporting by Michel Rose, writing by Ludwig Burger \u200band James Mackenzie, editing by Thomas Seythal, Andrew Heavens, Alexandra Hudson)<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"By Andreas Rinke and Tim Hepher BERLIN\/PARIS, June 8 (Reuters) &#8211; The leaders of Germany and France have&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":105539,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":"","_share_on_mastodon":"0"},"categories":[124],"tags":[48452,54701,54801,242,21349,245,233,240,54800,249,54802],"class_list":["post-105538","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","category-friedrich-merz","tag-chancellor-angela-merkel","tag-core-fighter","tag-defence-project","tag-emmanuel-macron","tag-fighter-jet","tag-france","tag-friedrich-merz","tag-german-chancellor","tag-german-officials","tag-germany","tag-landmark-project"],"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@people\/116716044526573471","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/105538","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=105538"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/105538\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/105539"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=105538"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=105538"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=105538"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}