{"id":71081,"date":"2026-05-14T14:44:09","date_gmt":"2026-05-14T14:44:09","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/71081\/"},"modified":"2026-05-14T14:44:09","modified_gmt":"2026-05-14T14:44:09","slug":"trump-xi-discuss-strait-of-hormuz-as-chinese-vessels-transit-key-waterway-us-israel-war-on-iran-news","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/71081\/","title":{"rendered":"Trump, Xi discuss Strait of Hormuz as Chinese vessels transit key waterway | US-Israel war on Iran News"},"content":{"rendered":"<p><a class=\"avatar\" tabindex=\"-1\" aria-hidden=\"true\" href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/author\/edna_mohamed_200414103930555\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\"><img decoding=\"async\" loading=\"lazy\" src=\"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/05\/IMG_2010-1.jpg\"   aria-hidden=\"true\"\/><\/a><\/p>\n<p>Published On 14 May 202614 May 2026<\/p>\n<p>United States President Donald Trump has discussed the Strait of Hormuz and the US-Israel war on Iran during his meeting with China\u2019s Xi Jinping as <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/news\/2026\/5\/11\/unacceptable-whats-irans-peace-proposal-that-trump-has-rejected\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">negotiations<\/a> to end the conflict and open the waterway are stalled.<\/p>\n<p>According to the White House, <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/news\/2026\/5\/12\/trump-downplays-us-iran-differences-as-he-heads-to-beijing-to-meet-with-xi\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">Trump<\/a> and Xi had a \u201cgood\u201d meeting on Thursday and agreed that the Strait of Hormuz \u201cmust remain open to support the free flow of energy\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>Recommended Stories list of 3 itemsend of list<\/p>\n<p>\u201cPresident Xi also made clear China\u2019s opposition to the militarisation of the strait and any effort to charge a toll for its use,\u201d the White House said.<\/p>\n<p>In a separate interview, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said he believed Beijing would \u201cdo what they can\u201d to open the waterway, which he said was \u201cvery much in their interest\u201d.<\/p>\n<p>Since the US-Israeli war on Iran began at the end of February, Tehran has all but closed the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.aljazeera.com\/news\/2026\/5\/13\/bahrain-led-un-resolution-on-strait-of-hormuz-gains-support-of-112-nations\" rel=\"nofollow noopener\" target=\"_blank\">strait<\/a>, causing disruptions to global energy supplies and raising fuel prices as oil tankers remain unable to pass.<\/p>\n<p>But under special agreements, Iran has let some carriers sail through the waterway.<\/p>\n<p>On Wednesday, a Chinese tanker transited through the strait, according to shipping data seen by the Reuters news agency. Iran\u2019s Fars News Agency also reported on Thursday that there was an agreement to allow some Chinese ships to pass.<\/p>\n<p>Moreover, Iran\u2019s state broadcaster IRIB reported that about 30 vessels had transited through the strait since Wednesday evening.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">Meanwhile, the US said on Thursday that it redirected 70 vessels and disabled four others to enforce Trump\u2019s blockade on ships travelling to or from Iranian ports through the Strait of Hormuz.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">\u201cAs of today, CENTCOM forces have redirected 70 commercial vessels and disabled 4 to ensure compliance,\u201d US Central Command (CENTCOM) said on X.<\/p>\n<p>Attacks on vessels<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates was seized and taken toward Iran and another was attacked and sank, authorities said on Thursday, in renewed escalation on shipping near the strait.<\/p>\n<p>The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations reported that \u201cunauthorised personnel\u201d had taken over a vessel that had been anchored off the UAE port of Fujairah on Thursday and was heading towards Iran, without giving details about who the ship belongs to.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">Meanwhile, an Indian-flagged wooden cargo vessel sunk on Wednesday while sailing through Omani waters following a fire \u2060from a suspected drone or missile strike. The vessel was sailing to the UAE from Somalia, India\u2019s shipping ministry said in a statement.\u00a0All 14 crew were rescued by the Omani coast guard.<\/p>\n<p class=\"p1\">There were no immediate claims of responsibility, but the incidents came as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country\u2019s claim to the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US.<\/p>\n<p>Iran\u2019s judiciary spokesperson Asghar Jahangir said on Thursday that the capture of \u201cUS tankers\u201d violating his country\u2019s regulations was being carried out under domestic and international law.<\/p>\n<p>Reporting from Tehran, Al Jazeera\u2019s Almigdad Alruhaid explained that Iranian officials have reiterated their stance that the waterway will be open for commercial vessels if they cooperate with Tehran\u2019s naval authorities.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cIranian officials are establishing a new mechanism for such cooperation. Ships are expected to submit detailed information in advance through what Iran calls the \u2018Persian Gulf Strait Authority\u2019,\u201d he said.<\/p>\n<p>\u201cThat includes cargo details, ownership information, destination and route plans, and transit timing. After that, vessels have to wait to see if authorities approve a transit permit,\u201d Alruhaid said, adding that if a vessel is recognised as \u201chostile\u201d towards Iran, it would not be allowed to pass.<\/p>\n<p>But as the waterway remains relatively closed, the US and Iran are no closer to agreeing to a peace deal. Washington wants Tehran to hand over its enriched uranium, and Tehran wants a lifting of sanctions and its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz recognised.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"Published On 14 May 202614 May 2026 United States President Donald Trump has discussed the Strait of Hormuz&hellip;\n","protected":false},"author":2,"featured_media":71082,"comment_status":"","ping_status":"","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[2],"tags":[252,250,12,34,303,50,3443,74,17,1109,1108],"class_list":{"0":"post-71081","1":"post","2":"type-post","3":"status-publish","4":"format-standard","5":"has-post-thumbnail","7":"category-donald-trump","8":"tag-asia-pacific","9":"tag-china","10":"tag-donald-trump","11":"tag-iran","12":"tag-middle-east","13":"tag-news","14":"tag-shipping","15":"tag-trump","16":"tag-united-states","17":"tag-us-canada","18":"tag-us-israel-war-on-iran"},"share_on_mastodon":{"url":"https:\/\/pubeurope.com\/@people\/116573469593430633","error":""},"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/71081","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/2"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=71081"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/71081\/revisions"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/71082"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=71081"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=71081"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.europesays.com\/people\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=71081"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}